Knee aspiration

Options
km89
km89 Member Posts: 32
edited 28. May 2011, 07:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

In a bit of a pickle. Had pretty bad knees recently i.e. very fluid filled and stiff, but today I forgot to take my steroids this morning because I was in a bit of a rush for my exam in uni. Anyway, now they've ballooned even more and it's difficult to walk. Don't see the rheumatologist til next Friday, but I was wondering if GPs can do knee aspirations? Probably a stupid question yeah?! But I'm still not sure as to what to do in situations like this. As far as I know I haven't got a rheumatology nurse and when I've rang the hospital's advice line they've never got back to me.

I know it's probably my fault that they've gotten worse as I managed to come off the steroids about a week ago after being on them for a year, but it was all too much and I've gone back to square one and I've upped them again as the RA is obviously not under control with my current 'therapy'.

Feeling a bit poop. It's difficult to concentrate on revising when my knees are draining all my energy!

Sorry for the whinge!
Hope all is well as it can be with everyone.

Katie

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Katie,
    Oh you poor love! I know exactly what you're going through as my left knee is swollen (though to be fair since increasing the steroids last Tuesday it has gone down a bit) and my elbows are huge, I'm due an aspiration tuesday :sad:
    Can you ring your Rheumy at all and explain the situation? If not what about giving NHS direct a call? Sometimes they can help with out of hours Drs or suggest going to a&e? The pain is awful, what painkillers are you taking? it's difficult with you being at Uni I know, but keep on top of the pain as much as you can, elevate the knees and use ice or frozen peas on them it does help.
    Sending bucket loads of love, strength and hugs your way Katie ((())) xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi Katie, sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time hun. I'm not sure as I've never had a problem with my joints swelling,i just wanted to say that I hope you get something sorted.. As Poppy says, try ringing the rheumy dept, see if they can fit you in earlier.
    Other than that the only thing I can suggest is ring the advice line on here, I'm sure they can give better advice than me anyway, lol.

Best wishes hun..

Let us know how you get on..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Katie,

I think thats the better idea to see if the rumo's dept could fit you in as some gp's do do the asseveration but its not always the best way to have it done as they don't have as much expertise. A lot don't actually do it wither.

I really hope it will all calm down for you and not need more treatment. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options
    Hi Katie

it's hard to study anyway...... :shock: l hated it!!!but with such sore and huge knees too :shock:

Get on to rheumatology and l hope you have put your feet up and taken your meds this time??

Hugs form me as l am pretty sure any aspiration is bets done at the rheumatologists.....get on the phone 1st thing tomorrow :wink:

Love

toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Katie
    Sorry I cant offer any advice, but I just want to send you some hugs ((((()))) and hope you get it done very soon, and get lots of relief from it.
    Take care of yourself.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's probably better if the rhuematology nurse does it. GPs do not have the necessary experience - it is a delicate procedure, yes? I have had my knees and ankles drained a fair few times and always at the hospital. Get in touch with your department and see if they can fit you in ASAP. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • km89
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :)
    Yes, I think I will call the rheumo department tomorrow, see if they can do anything. Thinking about it now, I don't think I'd trust a GP to do the procedure as they aren't as experienced.
    Remebered to take my meds this morning, and I don't think I'll forget again in a hurry! It kind of hit home how reliant my body has become on drugs to help me to function. Quite a scary thought.

Katie
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    How did you get on? Any joy? I forget (occasionally) to take the meds and notice no damn difference whatsoever. I hope they were able to aspirate your knee. Now that I did notice when it was done! DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi katie

hope the exam went well but sorry to hear about your knees.

I hope you get intouch with the rhummy peeps and they can help you quickly.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • km89
    Options
    The exam went well, especially as there was a question on rheumatoid arthritis! I couldn't believe it.
    I've just rung the 'advice line' that I've found for the rheumatology department at my hospital, left a message asking if there was any way of getting my knees sorted out. I'm doubtful that they'll get back to me though as I rang them another time when I had a massive flare and didn't know what to do, and they never got back to me!
    Monday and today have been so busy I haven't had time to arrange anything. So many exams!
    I hope they can fit me in. Like you DD, having my knees aspirated makes so much of a difference!

Katie
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I hope it lasts longer for you than it ever did for me - three days was my best effort before the steroids wore off and they started filling again. Thankfully I now have OA in my knees, I hope it's pushed the PA out of the way, so my fingers are crossed that the aspirations are a thing of the past. Chase them up about this, please. You don't need the bother of the inflammation. DD
  • km89
    Options
    Bit of an update.
    Finally got my knees done :) Managed to get 50ml of fluid from the right knee and 40ml from the left knee drained. Also, going to be starting on the anti-TNF drugs soon as the triple therapy I'm on isn't having an impact on the level of inflammation in my joints.
    She also said that if these drugs still have no effect, there is an operation they can do where they take out the synovial membrane in the knees. Hopefully it won't come to that!
    Feel so much better. Never thought I'd welcome having a massive needle stuck into my knee, but the benefits of having it done are so worth it!

Katie
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    HI Katie
    Glad to hear youve found some relief at last. Sending ((((())))) to help along the way x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I too am glad to hear they have been done. Make sure you rest them well, that is very important otherwise the steroid may not be as fully effective as it could. Take care. DD