Amytriptyline

Options
katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
edited 24. May 2011, 15:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just been put on these to help me sleep at night as the pain keeps me awake,well i took one for the first time last night,still had pain,got up this morning like a zombie and was so tired i had to go back to bed,i have slept the whole morning away!and still feel tired,has anyone else taken these and suffered side affects?ive also found out that they make you put on wieght,i might as well as stayed on the steroids!!!!!

Comments

• justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    They took me a while to get used to, I was told to take them around 8 and not when I was going to bed as when I did this I was so tired in the morning. What does are you taking. Try taking it earlier this should help.

I know what you mean though when you cant sleep then get a tablet that makes to really tired the next day, cant win.

Hope you find the right balance :smile:
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Options
    Hi Justin,
    im on 10mg,i took them at 8 but i went to bed about 10,perhaps i should have taken them earlier?i feel completely zombiefied its awful,i think i would rather put up with the pain than this and my mouth is so dry!
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    Hi I have been taking amytryptiline for about 18mths I started off on 10mg then over a couple of weeks built up to 60mg I take them 2hrs before I go to bed they are not habit forming either. This dose if for pain relief during the night I also take Tramadol and paracetamol I do get a good nights sleep and don't have any side effects. I know these tablets are used for depression but on a much higher dose 120mg. Try giving them another try they are good I couldn't manage without them
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi Katnap, I have these and take them occasionally. I find they do dry the mouth out and as I have sjorgens as well, it is a nuisance. However, my neck muscles tense so much and spasm, the amitr really helps with this. I take it early evening about 7pm to minimise the next day grogginess, it does improve, and you do adjust.

However some people are just unable to tolerate it, for them the side effects are too much.

I have found it to be a wonderful med, personally. A friend however, just couldn't get on with it all, we are all so different.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Kattnapp, I am on Amitriptyline, been taking them for a long time now, about 10yrs! As they are a good relaxent, I have now had the dose upped to 30mg's. The main side effect is it makes you zombiefied in the morning and you may feel you need to sleep through day. It's finding a happy medium between drugs. I have found if I have a siesta in the afternoon, after lunch one maybe 2 hours I feel alright for rest of day. Hope you get everything sorted to your liking. Amanda, (bubbadog). :smile:
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    My wife's on them for restless legs and tries to take them (10mg) around 6pm so she's not feeling too groggy in the morning.

Hope you sort it out.

Cheers
    Scozzie
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Hi Kat

I have been on Amytriptyline for a while now and am currently on 40mg. I found that initially i felt like a zombie because I wasnt used to them but once I got used to them they were a lot better although I still feel groggy.

I have been taking mine about 10pm and then going to bed about 11. I sleep until I wake up and dont try to do much for an hour after I wake up. After reading the recommendations on here for taking them earlier I think I am going to try that myself and see if I am more alert tomorrow.,

Hope you manage to sort things out with them.
    Jakib0644.gif
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

I've been taking amytriptyline for three years. I was taking 3 at night just before my first TKR. I had real problems with my knee. They had left me too long and walking was virtually impossible. You will get used to them. The first time I took them I didn't wake up until lunch time - my husband kept checking to see if I was alive! Before I started on the amytriptyline I wasn't sleeping at all - getting a good nights sleep when you suffer with this condition is essential. It helps you to cope. I have OA in my other leg and my next TKR has been put off until next year so I'm still on amytriptyline.

I've never heard that they put weight on - they do give you a dry mouth and until you're used to them can make you feel really lethargic. I generally take mine about between 7-8pm. I take a glass of water with me when I go to bed and generally polish it off during the night.

I hope you find them a help ... I know I do.

Sharmaine