Sorry Gents ladie's problems!!

Options
katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 27. May 2011, 14:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Folks,

Just a bit of advice from other ladies out there who are at that time of life!! To cut a very long and boring story short, I've been having a really bad time of going through the change. I can cope with the sweats but the actual loss and PMT is beyond a joke. I've done all the different medicines and tablets. Anyway my Doctor has referred me to see a Gynae Consultant with the view of having a hysterectomy. I'm on Anti-TNF and know that I have to come off it for 4 weeks previous to the op and that I must stay off it until completely healed. So my question is anyone else have this op. and which type of op? Apparantly there are several different ways to do this without a full abdominal cut.

My Mother is making me feel particularly 'useless' as she managed to get through it all and kept all her 'bits and bobs''- but as I said to her she wasn't suffering from RA as well. So is it normal to feel a 'wimp' because I'm making this choice? Anyone had a hysterectomy in their late 40's and regretted it?

Any help greatly received.

Thanks

Kate xx

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kate,

can't really help you as I saw the gynie and he didn't remove things he just gave me a higher dose of hrt (not the horse one).

I don't get pmt and I don't really have mood swings but I do feel for you and just wanted to leave you a ((( ))) and a good luck when you see them. Cris xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Kate

I had a hysterectomy when I was nearly 50 years old, (ten years ago) the consultant said it was best for me to have the op and afterwards I wished that I had not thought about it for as long as I did. I asked him to leave my ovaries if possible and he came to see me afterwards to tell me my ovaries were still there. I have OA. I never regretted it and my recovery was good. I had the incentive that I had to be ok for my 50th birthday celebrations and I made sure I was. :smile: It was the end of terribly heavy periods which had become a nightmare every month for me. Fibroids were causing this. I had the abdominal incision.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    HI Kate
    Sorry to hear you are having problems, and that you have not had the sort of support you would hope for from those close to you.
    I had a hysterctomy last year aged 41, after years of pain and other related gynae problems. I was apprehensive about having the op, although i wasn`t planning more children. And especially after only having had my THR a year before that.
    I had a laporoscopic and vaginal op and found the recovery very smooth. I have not looked back with regards to this op and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is seriously considering it.
    PM me if you want to talk more. (I have OA not RA though)
    NB
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Kate,

Can't help at all but it looks as though some good advice is coming through. Don't worry about your Mum's comments she was just lucky going through her menopause so easily, it doesn't mean you're useless if you don't it just means you're a different person.

Take care.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI Kate

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but as a fellow RA sufferer who's also on Anti-tnf treatment, I'll be watching this thread with interest, as where you're going I'm likely to follow sooner rather than later I fear :roll: :roll:

sending you hugs ((((((((()))))))))) and hoping that whatever you decide it works out well foryou.

WONky xxx
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Kate,
    I had a hysterectomy when i was 39 i had the full abdominal cut and i really wished i had it done years before no more painful heavy periods. recovery wasn;t bad i had the op in April and went on holiday and did some walking in june. I got the ra diagnosed just after the op although i'd had OA for years before.

Don't think you are a wimp you just need to make the right decision for you and just cos you mum went through the change ok well loads and loads of women don't. It was thinking that everyone was the same that lead me to put up with periods that lasted 14 days out of every 28....

Tracey
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    i just want to echo what Linda said. We are all different and our bodies work in many different ways. My family is notorious for womb/stomach problems but I have been so lucky not to have any issues at all. But my Mum suffered terribly and eventually had a hysterectomy.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Kate i don't know about the meds side but i can say ,i had my op at age 51 abdominal cut , because of heavy loss and anaemia and its the best thing i did just take it easy after and don't do to much to soon x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies ladies- only got to wait until Wednesday to see the Consultant. I am so glad that I'm getting something done. So the general concensus of opinion from you and others I have spoken to is that it is one of the best things to get done. My Aunt is being a great emotional support to me and I think she may have spoken to my Mother as she is being a bit more supportive now. So I'll let you know how it all goes and thanks once again.

Love Kate xxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I had a hystorectomy when I was 30, as I had severe endometrosis, which means so much pain and heavy periods that although it was a big decision for my husband and I to make, as we had no children, it was also easy to say yes to.

I had a cut across the bikini line which soon healed up. I have HRT patches and have done since the op 25 years ago! We don't regret not having children, as life has improved without all the problems. Love Sue