Problems with humira pen

Options
mp1952
mp1952 Member Posts: 425
edited 24. May 2011, 02:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks

I have just tried to do my humira injection and the red end of the pen seemed to stick and it wouldn't work. I checked the pen and suddenly it worked and humira squirted all over my desk! I then tried the second pen in the packet and thst also seems a dud as the red end of thst one just won't work either. Has anyone else had this problem?

My first two injections were fine.

Fortunately I am seeing the rheumy nurse tomorrow anyway for my first anti-tnf review and i have just left her a message asking if she can arrange for me to have an injection at the hospital tomorrow as i don't have any more pens (I am due to contact the delivery company tomorrow to arrange for my second delivery but am a bit stressed as inreally don't want to delay having my injection as it's working so well for me!)

look forward to hearing about your experiences...

Marion

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Marion,

Oh flower thats not good, not 2 of them. I remember reading something about this a while back, they had changed theme and a few people were having trouble then. I can't remember when or who started the thread though.

I shouldn't think one day will make any difference flower so try not to stress too much and I am so glad its working for you.

leaving a (((( )))) and a couple f chew sticks. Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh Marion, how troublesome and unsettling for you. I have been using the pens since July 09 and never once had a problem. Bet that's cheered you up! :grin: Certainly contact the delivery people tomorrow - I hope you have kept the dud ones so you can tell them the batch number or whatever they need and hopefully your hospital can sort you out. I will be doing mine tomorrow - what's the betting mine goes wrong now? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I forgot to say that I use my thumb to fire the mechanism: it is quite a tough thing to get going and I fear my fingers are not strong enough now. I hold the cartridge in a fist-grip, window towards me (ye gods that fluorescent line moves slowly) with my thumb over the trigger. DD

PS I forgot to mention that the best injections happen when I am in flaming temper with the whole thing. Tonight's should be a doozy!
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Thanks Cris and DD

The pharmacist from 'Healthcare at Home ' called me back today and went through a standard list of questions about how I had handled the pen(s)...had I dropped them, had I removed cap 1 before cap 2 ,etc ..

I think it is a known problem to occasionally have dud pens, Althiough my rheumy nurse said she had never known 2 pens to misfire!!

Anyway, the company is going to do an urgent delivery on Wednesday!

Good tip about watching the 'window' on the pen DD.. Thanks for that..

Marion x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Marion,

Glad its being sorted and they are doing an urgent delivery for you. Hope so much that it will work for you as well flower. (((( )))) Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Didn't you know that? That was one of the things that was stressed to me when I was 'trained'. I watch, and keep the needle in for another second or two after the the little yellow line has filled the screen, just to make sure I get the full whack. What I do find though, even after 22 months of this, is that I forget to breathe!

Last night's was done with extreme prejudice and worked like a dream, ie no pain after. Unlike you (who has felt some difference with using it) I never really have so I do get in a bit of a pother about it all sometimes. I have a stunning bruise this morning though, an absolute beauty. Good luck with your new set of pens, re-read the leaflet as a refresher (I do, from time to time) and I hope it all works as it should. DD