I am definitely back this time

Options
rugbygirl
rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
edited 23. May 2011, 07:19 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all

After disappearing and coming back, I disappeared again. Now though I am back and I intend to stay back.

I had a few days of pain then my beloved internet decided to disappear and no one could explain why or what had happened.

Now it has finally been sorted and I am back. I am finally off to Physio tomorrow and I am not looking forward to being poked and prodded for an hour!! My back has been on and off since my caudal Epidural. It has now got to the point of aching again but fortunately the slipped disc appears to have moved - not much but it is not resting on the sciatic nerve anymore. I am however now having problems with my right shoulder, elbow and wrist (possibly carpal tunnel) so its not easy to do a lot of things at the moment. To make things worse I am right handed.

I have been assessed for my Disabled Students Allowance |(for my OU course) and I am certainly keeping my fingers crossed that I get everything. It has been recommended that I get an adjustable chair with high lumbar support, a new desk, desktop PC, large screen monitor, ergonomic keyboard and mouse, book stand, foot rest, speech recognition software to help type my assignments so i dont need to type all the time, a text reader to reduce the holding of books so it can be read to me, microsoft office, printer cartridges, paper (the only reason I am not getting a printer is because mine is only 2 months old), travel costs for attending tutorials, digital recorder to ensure that I get all the information while in tutorials, and if I have to go on any residential courses they will ensure that I have a ground floor room with shower, my hubby will be able to come as my personal assistant and I will have access to a motorised scooter for use on the campus.

I was expecting maybe a bit of help with the chair and maybe the digital recorder. Not anything else. I was really surprised when I was told what I would need. And its all being paid for by the government. I can certainly recommend that anyone who is going to university or college looks into this DSA as it will be really helpful.

I have been told that it takes a while to sort out (about 10 weeks) but if you get the benefit in the end then it is a lot easier for you and you dont need to worry about everything else.

I will keep you updated on what actually happens and what I get out of this
Jakib0644.gif

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    wow Jaki I really hope that you get all that you need - that list is certainly comprehensive!

good luck with the course .... It's tough studying at any time but with additional problems it's that bit more tricky. Best of luck!

WONky xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rugbygirl, Hope you get the funding for the items you need for your course, At the end of the day they are funding a young lady who will be fully qualified in whatever proffesion you are at college for! After all you are our future brains!!! :lol: I went to college before my Osteo-porosis decided to show it's ugly head! Qualified with distinction I did and what does it mean now! bugger all!! Having a jeleous moment sorry! :sad: But I really hope you get the funding please let us know! Amanda, (bubbadog).