The dance of the seven soggy hand towels.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. May 2011, 02:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Ye gods, what a night. Lucky old Salomé, that girl had it easy, all she had to shed were seven veils to reveal her in all her glory. She had grace, elegance, she was sexy, fragrant.

The DD version is somewhat different in all the essential details. Grace and elegance beggured off at about the same time (late 2001), as for the sexiness - well I guess there is some dark area of the interweb where blokes might lust over a fat, sweaty disabled woman with odd-shaped joints and a penchant for rheumatology drugs but I think I will leave that un-explored (mind you, I could then afford me pink washing up bowl - now there's a thought! :grin: ). I had the fragrance aspect covered though, in spades. And unpleasantly so. :oops:

I know there is no guarantee that we are given, as a right, all the things we desire from life but why the phack does the reverse work? Why do we get everything we don't want - and lots of it to boot? In between the pred/humira melts and four trips to the bathroom (why? WHY? I drank nothing after 8.30pm, we were in bed by 9.30). The night before I had drunk a fair bit one way or the other - :grin: - and had only one trip.) I managed to doze, but doze only: pain, heat, bladder - the unholy trilogy of being a fat, middle-aged arthritic - they all made their presence felt, all serving to remind me that whatever I may think, I do not call the shots, I am not in control, this experience that vaguely resembles 'life' has nothing whatosever to do with me.

I am a tired and exasperated DD. :sad: Eat your heart out, Salomé, DD's gonna practise being sexy with her hand towels, speaking of which I had better go and shove last night's crop in the machine. (Be grateful, DD, it would be far, far worse if you had to wash them out by hand. Yes, I know but . . . . . I feel I shouldn't be having to do it at all. That's the nub of the matter.)
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD I am sorry you are feeling a little down at the moment, I am really stuck for what to say. Except that salome didn't have your wit and personality. And hey if the hand towels don't work with your routine a nice bath sheet works wonders :wink:

Take care my friend and chin up
    Thinking of you
    Juliepf x :|
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Bless you and thank you! The bath sheet was under me, bath towel wrapped round the pillow, I think it was the stairs that were not helping matters: a ground floor bathroom is fine during the day but at night? I did a grand total of 104 stairs. :sad: DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    julie47 wrote:
    I am really stuck for what to say. Except that salome didn't have your wit and personality.

Very well said, Julie. I’ll second that and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of 3rds & 4ths etc coming up.

Besides DD, which would you rather face first thing in the morning – an assortment of sweaty towels to wash or the head of John the Baptist on a plate? Surely a normal fry up or cereals would be a better option?

As for the constant nightly trips to the bathroom when having drunk very little as opposed to the solitary one after a pint or several, methinks I spy an answer in there which would not be entirely unpalatable to the DD we all know & love.

OK, homework tonight – ‘Life is a Bummer’ Discuss. (No illustrations permitted.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Oh DD,
    104 stairs :eek: I think anyone would struggle with that! I know you'll have tried every trick in the book regards the sweats, hopefully as the pred comes down it should be a little easier :?: we can but hope.
    My lovely DD, I know you don't do hugs but I do :smile: so sending bucket loads of hugs, strength and picture this scenario....a group of handsome, muscle toned Adonis's fanning you gently while feeding you choccies and keeping the goblet of wine topped up with the best champers...put you in a better frame of mind? It did me! Think I need a lie down now :lol::lol:
    Xxxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    DD just imagine (or better don't) the state you would be without that fine tuned soh. Keep smiling and reading your post seems like you need at least one medicinal pint each night.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Sorry , DD , but you really made me giggle ; now have image of you seductively dancing with soggy towels while Mr DD fans you with a footie shirt . Apologies but as you know , we have a weird idea of humour on the south coast ! Do hope you have a better night tonight , maybe less trips down the stairs and less towels to wring out . Please accept a cyber hug from me too . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh jillyb, I think that is another cause of the irritation: whilst I am repeatedly getting up, mopping up, going downstairs, mopping up, coming back upstairs, mopping up, blast of fan in the sitting room and mopping up, coming back to bed, mopping up then trying to get back to sleep just to repeat (within about an hour) the entire performance, he lies there sleeping like an angel. :roll: I don't blame him for that but it seems a generous sprinkling of salt into a rather raw wound. Never mind, it's the humira tonight, so that can top up the sweat supply for me, to go with that provided by the steroids - at least I know I won't run out.

lululu? Just the one mecidinal pint? Oh, OK. And Poppy, I have an Adonis - a sleeping one! :smile: DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Poppyg1rl wrote:
    picture this scenario....a group of handsome, muscle toned Adonis's fanning you gently while feeding you choccies and keeping the goblet of wine topped up with the best champers.

Poppyg1rl! I am deeply shocked. You wrote this early on a Monday morning! And you only recently out of hospital with breathing difficulties. Well, I guess now we all know why don't we? I'm feeling quite out of breath myself now.

DD, ignore her. It'll only start your sweats off again. If any turn up I'll gladly take them off your hands for you - or off any other bits. You can even keep the chocs and champers.
    Steven Wright
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I have missed you guys so much. I forgot how funny, caring and sympathetic you can all be.

DD you have such a way with words that I was crying with laughter. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the sweats and I hope that things calm down but I am glad that the sense of humor is still there. After all most of us have that in one way or another.

look after yourself
    Jakib0644.gif
  • GUINDI
    GUINDI Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Having a sense of humour and postivie attitude is all we need and you have plenty of that for alll of us!!

Hope you are feeling better now.....and dont give up the tea towels....or bed sheets.....

xxxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear! I am chortling with merriment, bless you all.

Sticky, as ever, pithy and pertinent. Our Poppy is a dark horse, yes?

Rugbygirl, it's lovely to have you back, don't stay away too long next time (which I hope there won't be.) There is normally a humorous view to be taken, but believe you me, finding it is sometimes an effort.

Guindi? Thank you, I know you are facing your own trials and tribulations at the moment, so thank you for taking a little time out to add to my thread. I am pleased to report that so far today the melts have stayed away. I know it won't last.

del, he don't do stairs. I have been having stern words with him for about a month now but he won't shift. Zodding sebra. Bah is an improvement on the unicycle though, without a doubt. I hope you are feeling as OK as you can be - it's tough, yes? One version of this filth is enough, two is utterly outrageous. DD
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi DD,
    How are you feeling this evening? thought I'd let you know i asked my GP about the pred tablets not being enteric coated, he says I'll be fine as I'm on lanzoprazole?! I told him that I gag taking them because the taste is disgusting and was told to take it with food...good job I've already been doing that then eh? ah well, never mind.
    Wishing you a much better night DD, love and hugs ((())) x
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Yesterday evening I was a grumpy mare. Humira night and a lack of sleep do not a happy DD make. I whacked the stuff in with extreme prejudice, and as usual it worked like a dream when that approach is taken. No pain after, no zinging for a couple of hours. Nowt.

I slep better, I only woke four times, used only one hand towel and only needed one trip to the bathroom. I have a stonking bruise on the injection site and am climbing back towards the giddy heights of moderately grotty. Yay! Thousands of pounds per year for a med to restore me to moderately grotty. It's because I am worth it. DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    sorry pal missed this before i to have to pop up and down a few times a night but the upside is it helps stop me getting so stiff over night as always popping (well limping) up and down the stairs do not do the seven towels as take hrt as was awful before so do hope things settle for you val
    val
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Morning Soggy,

Just the one towel? They'll be taking 'em off your prescription at this rate. Do they do the laundry as well?

So glad you've had a better night.

Take care.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am sitting here, fan going full blast, stripping off what few layers I have on :shock: and living up to my new soubriquet. I quite like it. Soggy. Soggy. Yup, it suits.

It is astonishing what one's body can do to one, yes? I wish it was an age thing, valval, that lot was done and dusted ages ago, these are purely med-induced. SD.
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    DD how about Humira - helps with weight loss due to sweating and step aerobics ( running up and down to the loo) -will play with liver until it is in a deranged state - may help with PA/RA if it feels like it -will elevate you to mildly grotty - every girls top wanted product.
    Because your worth it.

This could catch on what do you think...

Hope you had a better night.

Tracey
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am a serenity-challenged force of nature this morning. Sleep-deprived, sweat-drenched, nocturnally micturating for England and then my damn body decides to throw in two - yes TWO - attacks of cramp in my left calf. (I dunno why I have two baby cows in bed with me, but I cannae sleep without them. Or with them.) For phack's sake. Mr DD slumbered through it all. :roll:

I have the meth stabbing shortly. Oh whooopeee - dooooo! That'll make it all go away. :wink:

madwestie? You daftie! Thanks for the giggle. DD