How long does MRI take?

Options
Dottydoodah
Dottydoodah Member Posts: 169
edited 24. May 2011, 13:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have an MRI at 9.30 this morning. I have been in so much pain in my lower spine over the last few days I am not sure how i am going to lie down and stay on my back long enough. I have just taken 3 tramadol and 2 paracetemol.
How long does it take to do it?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It depends on how many scans they need. I have only ever had my knees done, on each occasion it was four scans per knee and each scan took about five minutes, with a breather in between (for the machine, not me). You have to keep very still, so view it as a good chance to lie around doing nothing, keep your breathing as steady and even as you can and, you never know, despite the noise you might - just might - drop off! I hope it goes OK. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Dottydoodah
    Options
    Thanks DD

I think i can manage 5mins at a time. Not sure i'll nod off though as i cant even manage sleep in my own bed!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You are not able to move in between scans, you will be in the one position for some time. Hopefully the headphones will deaden much of the noise - apparently some hospitals play music for you! The luxury! Good luck, let us know how you get on, please. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi dotty

my neck mri took 20 mins

my stump took 30 mins.

I hope all goes well with yours this morning.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Hi Dotty
    I know it is a bit late in the day but may be of help to others, I had a full spine MRI a few weeks ago and that took 30 mins. Don#t worry about it they are used to people like us I thought I would not be able to be still either but it is only once to do and well you try to do what you have to do.
  • Dottydoodah
    Options
    Thanks DD Julie and Lulu

Well, that was a waste of my time and effort :roll:

When my husband wheeled me in the receptionist said we were too late as we should have been there at 8am!! So i showed her the letter saying 9.30. Obviously computer error :roll:
    They couldnt squeeze me in so i have to wait another 2 weeks. So cross. OH had to have the morning off work to help me
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Dotty,

It kinda depends but I had my whole spine done a while back in 3 sections and it was about 45 mins with no breaks so that would be 15 mins a piece i think if my math is remotely right..... It often isn't.

Tis not fair they messed you round like that and thank goodness you had the letter with you other wise they wouldn't have know it was their fault!

Hope you soon here from them with a new date but maybe it would be an idea to phone and double check if they are getting it all wrong. Cris x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Thats awful.....being all prepared for it....OH taking the day of etc just to be told it was the wrong time.....their fault as well.
    Anyway back to the MRI.....I've had 3 or 4 ...not sure :lol: Mostly they have taken 30mins and yes you do have to lie very still.....you get a button to press if you are having problems but my way of looking at it is if you press it....you'll just have to go through it all again some time so better to grit your teeth and stick it out :lol:
    Its very noisy so you always get ear defenders......sometimes I've had music other times i havent......some people say they take their own musin in??

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Computers don't make errors, it's the blobs of organic matter that press the buttons that do. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. How very, very annoying. The least they should have done was fit you in there and then but oh no, that would be too much to ask. Twerps. (Them, not you.)

It is the utter disdain in which OUR time is treated by them. It gets my goat: if my consultant appointment is for 9am then it should damn well be at 9am, I should not have to sit there and watch said consultant swan in at 9.10, or 9.15, mess about with bits of paperwork, chatting to colleagues etc before calling my name, then sighing heavily as I totter into their room as if to say 'Hurry up, woman, I don't have all day.' Actually, sunshine, neither do I.

I note hileena didn't tell you about her penchant for leaving her underwear plastered to the inside of the machine. Come on hileena, are you shy all of a sudden? :smile:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,469
    Options
    Oh Dotty

I AM so sorry...and cross too :evil

I had my back MRI'd and it took about 20 mins l was in agony anyway and they gave me a triangle of foam under my knees which helped a lot.

Hope you get a new date very soon.

Love

toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD.....not shy.....I'm sure most people will have seen that post.....the problem with it was that you know you have to stay very still.....I wanted to giggle when I thought about it but knew I couldnt :lol::lol::lol:
    So had to put iot out of my mind {what minde???} until MRI was over
    Love
    Hileena
  • gretta
    gretta Member Posts: 74
    Options
    My MRI scan took about 20 minutes. I also have arthritis in my lower spine. They try to make you as comfortable as possible. In my case instead of lying flat on the pillow they doubled it over so that I wasn't quite flat & they put a large piece of foam under my knees. That helped a lot. I was worried about being to get up after the scan but they help you a lot by telling you to turn over on your side, shuffling to the side, bring up your knees & then raise yourself up by putting your left hand on the edge & raise yourself slightly until you can push up onto your right elbow, then it is easy to get up. Hope I have explained this clearly.
    I now do this at home to get out of bed in the morning.
    gretta
  • Dottydoodah
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Computers don't make errors, it's the blobs of organic matter that press the buttons that do. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. How very, very annoying. The least they should have done was fit you in there and then but oh no, that would be too much to ask. Twerps. (Them, not you.)

It is the utter disdain in which OUR time is treated by them. It gets my goat: if my consultant appointment is for 9am then it should damn well be at 9am, I should not have to sit there and watch said consultant swan in at 9.10, or 9.15, mess about with bits of paperwork, chatting to colleagues etc before calling my name, then sighing heavily as I totter into their room as if to say 'Hurry up, woman, I don't have all day.' Actually, sunshine, neither do I.

I note hileena didn't tell you about her penchant for leaving her underwear plastered to the inside of the machine. Come on hileena, are you shy all of a sudden? :smile:

Oh dont get me started DD. I am so so sick of the health service right now. Not just this but other issues too. My husband works within it too which makes things worse as he comes home telling me horror stories.

Thanks all for your support