Private treatment??

Options
margareth64
margareth64 Member Posts: 148
edited 25. May 2011, 09:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can I go privately and get an MRI done? I have had a nightmare app. at my docs she said everyone of my age has wear and tear in spine, basically she seems to think my symptoms are in my head and caused by depression!!!! I started crying but she just ignored me. Told me im still young and shouldnt be sitting in house ,I sit in cause im in pain!!! Acording to her I should just go and get myself another job thats lighter, my job involves heavy lifting, im to young to be geting any benefits. Also I mentioned that I have a relative with fibromilega and my symptoms are like hers she said dont be talking about that!!!So Ive decided to get an MRI scan done privately how do I do this and when get it done should I try and find a private gp???
Margaret

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Margareth

Sounds like you had a nightmare-ish gp appointment. It must be so frustrating when your gp appears not to be listening to you nor wanting to refer you. Some gps can be so stubborn, it may be something to do with cost too. Perhaps there is another more sympathetic gp in the surgery you could see who would do this for you.

If you would like to find out more about getting a MRI done privately the following may help you:

http://mriscans.cliniccompare.co.uk/mri-scan-cost-in-private-hospital

If you do not have health insurance, I would have thought that once you have decided where you wish to have the MRI done, you can call and ask the package price.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Hi Margareth

That was some appointment you had there. Like Elna said is there a better doctor in the practice you could see? Its wrong when gp's do this and it can cost you so much when nobody cares or helps.

I hope you can get the mri and that the results will help you to get some real,help and possible treatment but I also wonder if you haven't got a nicer doctor in your practice could you change gp's at all cus that one was out of order..... especially if she thought you were depressed as well! Doesn't matter which way you look at it she was wrong! Hang in there flower. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you can, see another doctor within the NHS first. That one seems to have taken agin you for whatever reason - and obviously does not understand about arthritis symptoms. You need someone who will really listen, and then refer you for at least an Xray. Do you know if any of your friends or work colleagues have more approachable docs? Could you see one of them? Scans are expensive, the whole private thing is expensive. You should be feeling forced to go down this route. It's wrong. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I dont know anything about getting an MRI privatels but before I did that I think I would be back to the GP {either that one or if you have another one in the practice} and stand firm and ask for a referral to a hospital....either to a rheumy or an ortho.....hopefully they would send you for an MRI
    Just remember its your body.......dig your heels in and say you want that referral
    Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena