Good news with bone density

Options
lupin15
lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
edited 25. May 2011, 17:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks went to doctors yesterday...saw my favour doctor ...down to earth and does not like to push the drugs down your throat and listens.
My bone density and not changed in over 2 and half years so exercise and a balanced diet have held it in place. The hospital have said they still want me to go on the bone strengthening drugs but after a long discussion with GP i have said no. He agrees with me and said it is possible that it could recover as mine was due to cancer treatment. He said my risk of breaking a bone is only slightly raised and basical if i break a bone i would have whether i was ostopina ( wrong spelling bum) or not...so it would have to be a bad fall.
Explained about neck and back so now understand that i have a weakness now which i have to live with which is fine.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That is good news Lupin, long may this particular status quo reign, yes? I am pleased to hear that you are not going down the alendronic acid route: god that med is a pain in the backside. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    Hi Lupin

Good news!!

I am so pleased for you - sounds liek that Doc talks a lot of sense :smile:

Hope the situation continues to improve/at least stay the same.

Love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Nice bit of good news to start the day with Lupin.

Long may it continue. And thanks for letting us know.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Glad you had good news Lupin, It's nice to hear good news for a change! :) May the good news keep on coming! Amanda, (bubbadog). :smile:
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Lovely to hear something positive , keep on doing whatever it is you're doing , it seems to be working and keeping everything under control . Jillyb
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Thats good news for you.....and as DD says the alendronic route is a dreadful route

Love
    Hileena
  • lupin15
    Options
    I did orgibnal try the meds...but was so poorly tand thats why i came off it. Just goes to show that sometimes they are wrong. Does make me wonder how many other people are taking this drug with the awful side effects and don't really need to????? My understanding is that the drug also eventually causes other side effects. Right i am off to walk my dog... :smile::smile:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 25. May 2011, 12:28
    Options
    I need to after five years of oral steroids which is another spur for getting of them. I find one of the biggest problems with the meds is that one drug (which is meant to help matters) causes another problem, so you get another med, which can then cause yet another problem and so the merrry-go-round continues. And of course none of the PA meds does a flaming thing for the OA. Dante described the seven circles of hell - I wonder if he had arthritis? :smile:

I hope the dog walking went well - it's a lovely day to be out and about.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Lupin,

Hope you and the dog had a good time? That's good news on the bone front and glad he explained the neck to you. Cris x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Lupin

So glad your bone density is stable and that the doc listened to you. Really pleased for you too that you won't be taking the anti-osteoporosis meds again. :grin: (I'm about to start the anti-osteoporosis meds again (thanks to the pred) and I am NOT looking forward to it. :cry: )

Love Tilly xxx
  • lupin15
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Hello Lupin

So glad your bone density is stable and that the doc listened to you. Really pleased for you too that you won't be taking the anti-osteoporosis meds again. :grin: (I'm about to start the anti-osteoporosis meds again (thanks to the pred) and I am NOT looking forward to it. :cry: )

Love Tilly xxx

Before starting ask about any new meds on the market. My doctor said that there was a new one about to come on the market... he said all the old ones have roughly the same effect....Ask and let me know.
    Also good luck...maybe this time you will be better!!!!! Fingers crossed.