Fatigue

Options
DebraKelly
DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
edited 25. May 2011, 09:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

First of all I am new to this forum, and I found all the information being posted on here very helpful, particularly the handy hints topic!

I was diagnosied with RA about 2 years ago when I was 32 years old, and I have been slowly learning to cope with my condition. My RA is in my right knee and hand. I am currently taking Methotraxate with is helping with the pain.

Over the past few weeks I have been feeling very very tired, struggling to get up in the morning to go to work, if I make it to work I usually come home after a full day and go straight to bed.

The past few weekends I have wasted half a day at the weekends due to just sleeping in the afternoon.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this is or it is just part of the course?

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Comments

• margareth64
    margareth64 Member Posts: 148
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Id just like to say welcome to this forum ive found it invaluable. I have OA and I find that tiredness is a big problem. Im sure someone will be along to help you soon with more advise, take care.
    Margaret
    Margaret
  • cpontefract
    cpontefract Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi Dk and welcome!

I have inflammatory arthritis and like Delboy said, its all part of the course-- sadly!

I too dont work, so find that I will wake early, and do what needs doing, then if I need it, I can nap in the afternoon, before OH comes home, so we can spend time together in the evening.

I have found that resting and taking things slower can help though xx
    Claire
    Keep Smiling :D
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Welcome from me too , Debrakelly , I too am a RA person ; got mine at 25 and still muddling along 30 years later ! As others have said , fatigue is one of the less painful symptoms of this disease , I find the best thing to do is accept it and give in to it when possible . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's part of the dross that comes with arthritis. Over time you learn to pace yourself and to recognise when things are getting too much. I have PA and OA, and I last felt lively in October 2001. I have been swimming through treacle ever since, on the better days it's clear honey and when I flare it's like trying to work through a block of set concrete. I think the meds also play their part: they can sap one's energy too. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hello

I have SLE a form of lupus and Arthritis.

I had severe fatigue caused by illness and meds. It took a while but eventually I learned that the best thing is to acknowledge the tiredness and sleep when you need to. Housework can wait!

I find I am not so tired nowadays which I think is maybe a mixture of the illness settling down a bit cos of meds and also I have been taking regular gentle exercise and yoga classes and also regularly visiting a chiropractor and my energy levels have dramatically increased.

The one thing to try to remember is not to stress out at the fatigue thing - easy to say I know.

I wish you well and welcome to the forum.
    Carol
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    This is just to say welcome to the forum.....I have OA.....I have tiredness but not the same or as bad as with RA and some other types of arthritis....sorry no help....but welcome anyway

Lo ve
    Hileena