short and fat.

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 27. May 2011, 15:08 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm struggling to find jeans/trousers made for my shape. I have short inside leg 27. But my problem is I also now have lots of fat round hips, bum and tum and petites seem to be for short, skinny people.I fit a size 14 in Next but they either cut too low( bottom showing) or too flared below the knee making me look even fatter.I like softer material as they are easier to put on.

I have trawled the internet today but I found it too difficult to gauge shape, length by pictures.

Any one know any good places to buy jeans for short and fat!

I currently live in joggers but they are all getting holes in so I really need some new stuff and quick and Next joggers haven't been very good this year.

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well I know there's a mans clothing company for larger lads called Jackamo I wonder if they do ladies stuff as well?,
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Elizabeth,

What about good old M&S because they do stretch jeans and also give you different size leg lengths within each size.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    I was going to say M&S as well. I use them all the time now, they do nice trousers at reasonable prices, and they do elasticated waists.

The other one is BHS they do some good trousers, take a look at them as well. They do jeans with half elasticated waists and they look good.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Elizabeth

Can be hard finding stuff to fit cant it...Ive got a waist somewhere but my bum, hips and thighs are bigger.......

Can i just say something? You always say youre fat but i cant even remember tha day when i had a size 14 and even when i lose my weight i will only go down to a size 18 at the least ever so i dont think, well i know now you are not as fat as you feel you are....When youre like me size 20-22 then that's fat.......

Elainex
    tkachev wrote:
    I'm struggling to find jeans/trousers made for my shape. I have short inside leg 27. But my problem is I also now have lots of fat round hips, bum and tum and petites seem to be for short, skinny people.I fit a size 14 in Next but they either cut too low( bottom showing) or too flared below the knee making me look even fatter.I like softer material as they are easier to put on.

I have trawled the internet today but I found it too difficult to gauge shape, length by pictures.

I currently live in joggers but they are all getting holes in so I really need some new stuff and quick and Next joggers haven't been very good this year.

Elizabeth
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    How about Bon Marché? You got one of them near you? Their stock can be a little 'frumpy' but they do cater for the shorter/wider lady, and if you hunt through some of their jeans etc ain't too bad. (I am 5' 8", all their stuff is too short for me.) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Elizabeth

Just a thought a lot of leaflets are coming through with magazines and in them there are bootcut or straight leg legging type things that are fully elasticated but softer and look just as good as jeans...Ive thought about them myself but maybe a thought for you?

Elainex
    tkachev wrote:

Elizabeth
  • tkachev
    I am size 14 in Next having tried ALL of their styles on but I think I would be 16 everywhere else.

I have looked at internet m&s today and also Debenhams. I found a couple of nice styles but It just seems the shape doesn't seem to cater for big hips like mine.
    DD not tried that store so will take a look.

There must be a pair for me somewhere?I see bigger ladies than me who look lovely.I seem to be wearing clothes on their last legs because I cannot find replacements.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    Hi Elizabeth

I have that problem (I'm a size 18). BHS classics and petite range are very good.

Also Dorothy Perkins short length trousers are good - though you may need 2 inches taken up - maybe you have an alteration shop nearby - I had mine taken up and they have stayed up.

Hope this helps

kneegirl xxx :)
    event.png
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Hi Elizabeth,
    You could try H&M in the Chimes Or as kneegirl suggested BHS? or Evans? My sister gets her jeans from there and they look great.
    Take care x
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    Is H+M a good shop Poppy? It's not somewhere that I've ever been in as it always looks too trendy and I always feel that nothing in there will fit me (size 14 top and size 16/18 bottom).

x
    event.png
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Hi Kneegirl,
    I like H&M because it's good value for money, not too expensive and they do some nice styles. I'm 5ft 1 and a size 10 usually, but probably an 8 at the moment as been so poorly recently, no appetite. My sister is 5ft 7 and a size 16 and we regularly shop together, she's found all kinds of lovely stuff in H&M same as me. Hope you're feeling ok and painfree as possible x
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Thats a shame for me the H&M in Tunbridge wells is only for children and maternity. I heard they are really good for adults if you can find one in your area.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • tkachev
    I had a look at Evans as they are supposed to have a plus, petite section Everytime I found a pair I liked they came up as standard size only. I am a dab hand at taking up trouser hems for the kids.

Hi Poppy. I find it difficult walking round all the shops and I always have to take clothes home to try on and then have to return them.But will take a look( Christmas was last time I looked).

I used to be size 8. It was so easy in those days. Now I can't find anything to suit.

Fat Kev what an offer. OH is away now if you can get down here quick. Remember no.62 opposite Jilly's.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Tu at Sainsbury's is pretty good: they understand tall but they have a petite section (well, ours does) and their clothes are better quality than Tesco or Asda. All my linen trousers are Tu, jeans too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    I bought my last joggers from TU, They fit well but the material is not very good and they have lost theirshape. I haven't looked at their jeans though.

I think I will just have to order the ones I sort of liked the look of(m&s and Debenhams) and hope for the best. It is just a pain having to return items if they don't fit.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    I'm late as always in replying ! Have you tried Marisota ? They go from size 14 upwards and do from 25" up to 34" leg length . Jillyb
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    I can sympathise with you Elizabeth.

I always shop at M & S cos of not getting much further for shopping, apart from online of course.

I am a size 12 and around 4ft 11inches - the so called petite range is for under 5ft 3 or so. Oh to be 5ft 3 would be very nice.

I have to shorten the M & S short leg length as I feel the 27 leg length has now gone to 28 inches and as the assistant told me when I mentioned it said that its to cater for people who wear high heels - would love to wear high heels but the arthritic joints just wont allow it.

Sometimes I have been known to purchase 3/4 trousers in the long length and they are just about right for me as full length ones.
    The things us shorties have to do eh?

I did once get fixed up at Bon Marche, I dont shop there usually but I bought some black and brown winter weight trousers and guess what, perfect fit, no shortening. Yeah!!
    Havent managed to look in their stores for a good while though.
    In fact I also bought the brown in a size 14 just in case I put any weight on.! Bizzare I know.

Also, M & S tee shirts have gotten much much longer and when I complained about it was told that general surveys which they do often throws up the fact that most people are around 5ft 6inches and want longer tops. 5ft 6inches!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is tall, well to a short-@*se like me it is. :lol:

Hope you get fixed up, let us know if you spot any good fitting ones, especially ones that you dont have to resort to needle and thread to make them wearable.

Kath

PS You are in no way fat at a size 14, believe me.
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Sometimes looking on line and maybe opening an account with a catalogue. That way you can try things on at home and then you can send it back if its not suitable.
    Jakib0644.gif
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    New Look do jeans by leg length but you'll need to go up a size as i think there sizing is one out.
    I am a shorty (4'11") with dinky legs so always have trouble buying Jeans....used to get them from Next but this season they seem to have gone all skinny leg (not so great when you carry a slightly larger thigh)
    so I had to shop around and looked at New Look - cheap and cheerful jeans and as long as you go up a size they fit fantastically (cut the label out and forget about it once you've bought them)
    If your happy to spend a bit more I hear that Levi Curve ID custom fitting service is good (look on their website) a slightly larger friend swears by them.
    Good luck
    Chrissie
  • tkachev
    Wow now I have tons of info, just need time to look(school holidays start today).
    I don't know how Kath and Chrissie T. manage as it is hard enough to buy for my 5.2. I have thought about 3/4 length trousers but they will have been cut differently, and I agree with Chrissie about the Next skinny jeans. I tried some on but they were too tight in the thigh. Leggings look horrendous(Max Wall comes to mind). I do like longer length T shirts because they cover a multitude of sins but understand how you feel Kath.
    I am going to order ones I have already spotted later in the week because I do not want to be waiting around for parcels as kids off school. If I have any luck don't worry I shall be shouting from the rooftops as it is 5 years since I wore any jeans.
    Thanks everyone for such great input.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    i have discovered new looks jeans are quite nice and comfortable,im only a 27 leg although i buy 30 and bootcut as they make your legs look longer and slimmer!also dotty p's jeans are nice and not those low slung types that personally just create a muffin top :lol:
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Why don't you try wearing leggings with floaty summer dresses now "summer" (huh) is here? Now could be the time to go for a new look?

And you're not fat, you mad woman, I've seen the pictures!!!

Nxx
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Why don't you try wearing leggings with floaty summer dresses now "summer" (huh) is here? Now could be the time to go for a new look?

yes,i wear that sort of thing its very comfy and looks good toox
  • tkachev
    I do have loats of those floaty tops and they do look good but I am running out of trousers.
    I know I am not too fat just awkward shaped. My daughter tells me I would look lovely without the double chin, big bum, boobs and rolls of fat round my tum. :oops: Who am I to argue?

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Daughters do things like - I'm waiting till mine's had 3 kids and then I can repeat all her comments about jelly bellies back to her! I wouldn't mind but SHE is one of the reasons I HAVE a jelly belly! :D

Let us know how you get on, Elizabeth - I love girly posts like this

Nxx