Advice about pillows please for neck/back arthritis

Options
Sky
Sky Member Posts: 18
edited 27. May 2011, 11:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

I have it in my back and neck and I get terrible headaches. I have a memory foam mattress and am now going to get a memory foam pillow too. Could anyone let me know the difference made between Contour and traditional shaped memory foam pillows please? Or even which one would be the best? Which one has been good for you?

Thank you x

Comments

• lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi i tried the contour and could not get on with it..ended up in the bin...I use feather pillows....only one. Mould nicely around my neck. Was told that a pillow between your necks was suppose to help... I have tried it a few times...it does ease lower back a bit. Not sure if that helps really!!!!
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    i think Lupin meant between the knees, lol :wink:
    My neck is fine but I do use a memory foam pillow, not sure what kind,i use one of the semi circular ones that you buy for travelling, in fact I actually have two and position them for comfort. I do have osteo in my lower spine though & have trouble with my knees and pain in my hip. I've had feather bolsters for years, best thing I've ever tried, and I try and sleep in the recovery position, as long as I have the bolster between the knees it's usually ok. Mine is five foot and I bought a good quality one, it does make a difference.
    Also have memory foam mattress, wouldn't be without any of them.
    Best of luck..

Be well.

I feel it's sleepy time, lol .

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Sky
    Options
    OK thank you both for replies :grin:

I have a choice between one that looks like an ordinary pillow and one that is like an s shape that goes into your neck. It looks a bit uncomfortable, but I might be wrong and this pillow may be fantastic, just rather know b4 I buy one :lol:
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    i think Lupin meant between the knees, lol :wink:
    My neck is fine but I do use a memory foam pillow, not sure what kind,i use one of the semi circular ones that you buy for travelling, in fact I actually have two and position them for comfort. I do have osteo in my lower spine though & have trouble with my knees and pain in my hip. I've had feather bolsters for years, best thing I've ever tried, and I try and sleep in the recovery position, as long as I have the bolster between the knees it's usually ok. Mine is five foot and I bought a good quality one, it does make a difference.
    Also have memory foam mattress, wouldn't be without any of them.
    Best of luck..

Be well.

I feel it's sleepy time, lol .

Opps yes knees....a long day yesterday :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I also have a memory topper...infact two cheaper ones.(money was tight). Wouldn't be without them a great investment.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Go to a good bed/pillow shop and try some. Don't just try one for ten seconds and say that's fine, lie there for a good ten minutes or more, changing your position every once in a while, and buy the one that works for you.

I have a traditional rectangular memory foam pillow, bought from Orgas* for under £25 and it's fine. I use another one between my legs, or, as I like to sleep in the recovery position, I place it next to me for the upper leg to rest on. I did have the contoured shape many moons ago, but did not get on with it. I have always found feather pillows useless as they just squash. You need to find what suits you. It's a personal thing. I wish you well in your quest. DD

* Switch the vowels!
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I have very little neck mobility and until I got one of the funny shaped (thicker at one side than the other) memory foam pillows I would regularly wake up with very bad headaches, sometimes so bad I was throwing up. Since I got one it has never happened. I take it everywhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sky
    Options
    I live in Cornwall, very few shops near me. I need to buy off the internet. I have Psoriatic Arthritis of spine and neck etc. The worst thing about it is the evil headaches I wake up with.

Sticky - was it one of these that helped you?

http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=100-2635
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    It was/is, Sky. I would never go back to any other kind. I have a permanent one at my son's for when we visit and throw my own in the car boot when going anywhere else. Hope it helps you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sky
    Options
    OK thank you for your help :grin:
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I have a contour one. I sleep with my neck resting on the thicker part because I feel I need the support. I couldn't recommend memory foam pillows enough. I used to wake up with a stiff, swollen neck but not anymore. It's brilliant! I went to a bed shop and tried various different ones. Although, once you've chosen, have a browse online and see if you can get it cheaper.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I have neck problems and I have an ordinary shaped memory foam pillow. It felt funny when I first lay on it but after a short time, I found it really helps me. I've not tried the shaped one but, I like the one I have so much. I also have a mattress topper in memory foam and that is good. We'd just had a new bed when all this started so didn't want to pay for another new matteress, but I'll get memory foam when we change it. Love Sue