injections tomorrow

Options
princess935
princess935 Member Posts: 90
edited 27. May 2011, 09:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having injections in both knees tomorrow and fluid taking off. I have a terrible phobia of needles. I thought i got over it because i have blood tests every 3 months, and it doesnt bother me any more. I went the dentist a few months back and cos i was having a needle in my mouth i freaked out, so not over my phobia.

GP have me diazapam 2mg, he gave me 10 tablets. Not had them before, so he said take one(2mg) this evening and see how it makes me feel and take another if i feel i could get more benefit, so that i knw how much to take tomorrow.

Its at 2pm and god i am scared, so so scared, the thought makes me feel so sick.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Princess935, there's no point in my saying don't worry if you're afraid of needles. But, in my all too vast experience of all kinds of needles I can tell you that the more you can relax the less they hurt so the diazepam should really help. Wishing you a non traumatic dya tomorrow & lots of pain relief for the future.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The one thing that used to make me run for the hills (if only I could) is knee aspiration. I am glad to hear that you have something to help with the nerves, please take someone with you as you will not be able to drive after (or at least you shouldn't drive after), and don't watch what they do. Lie back, stay as relaxed as you can, they should inject local anaesthetic first and they ought to give that time to work, at least five minutes, before they start the rest of it. If they do do that then it willl be fine. After rest your knees very very well: I was always told bed-rest for 48 hours. This gives time for the knees to settle, the steroid to really sink into the joint and hopefully yield the maximum benefit. They will be sore (and for good reason) so keep up with the pain dullers. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • km89
    km89 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    I was like you before and I was scared of blood tests due to having a really bad experience from one when I was about 10. Anyway, since I've had RA I've had my knees injected four times and, this is the weird bit, I can't wait to get them done again! Simply for the reason that the effects of the local injection of the steroid made me feel so much better, the best I'd felt in months in terms of being able to walk around in less discomfort. The slight discomfort of having the needle in the joint is the only draw back to it. I don't usually feel much pain, just usually as they are drawing more fluid out you are more aware of the needle but I don't get pain as such. They usually use a spray which will numb the area. Get them to use lots of that! I usually look too, it's interesting to see what the fluid looks like!
    So good luck for tomorrow, the diazepam should help with your anxiety. It's the fear of the unknown which makes it worse, but it will hopefully make you feel so much better.
    Katie
  • princess935
    Options
    thanks, im gonna start taking them tonite, gp said i could then some first thing in the morning then at about 12.30, should i should be fully loaded by then. (sound like an addict dont i)

oh well this time tomorrow it will be over and done with, and hopefully not as bad as i think it will be.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good luck, I will be thinking of you. Focus on the potential benefit, I hope it really helps. DD
  • kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    Options
    Sorry to deviate from the body of this thread, but I've just looked up knee aspiration and I want one so will ask God (yes he believes he's a god and that his colleagues are Godlings!!! :roll: !!!) next time I see him which is in the very near future.

xx
    event.png
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Just wanted to say, all the best for tomorrow. With diazepam inside you it should make things easier to accept. I shall be thinking of you at 2.pm tomorrow, sending you hugs as well.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow,

Magenta xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good luck for today. I am sure it will all be fine and I hope it helps. Remember to rest properly after, and for a good long whiile. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good luck with the injections, Princess935. Hope both they & diazepam work well for you.
    Steven Wright
  • princess935
    Options
    thanks, taken 2 diazepam last nite and 2 this morning and i dont feel at all different, dont think they are working.

keeping busy doing my nails so i dont think about it.
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Princess,
    I had my knee aspirated on Tuesday and I'm in this afternoon to have my elbow aspirated too, it really isn't that bad, if you tell them you are needlephobic they can give you some 'numbing cream' which means you really won't feel a thing, if you make sure you don't look you honestly will be fine.
    My children all hate needles, the youngest really is needlephobic but with the numbing cream he didn't even know it had happened!.
    You must tell them though, and they should be able to help you.
    Best of luck, thinking of you x
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • princess935
    Options
    thanks poppy girl, its not the pain from a needle its the needle itself, im fine getting my tongue piered because it didnt look like a needle, think it is the actual needle itself.

i will try and be brave, i thiknk i can feel the tablets starting to work as feel bit different
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Don't look. Think beautiful thoughts. good luck.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's just gone 2.30, I hope you are all done and dusted. Rest, rest then rest some more. DD