OA flare - what is it like for you?

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 27. May 2011, 14:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
OK, I have been dealling with the PA for a number of years now, and know exactly what that feels like when it flares (or, more precisely, what I feel like when it flares). I have learned from being on here that OAers can experience flares too - but how do they feel? Yes, I know, I know, how long is a piece of string etc etc etc but summat is amiss with me at the mo and I dunno what. It's tipping down with rain outside, my knees are not hurting any more or less, but they are twanging in some style. There is a burning feel on the outside of each joint, and I am very, very tired.

Arthritis = pain = tiredness = more pain (probably due to reduced coping mechanisms, of that I am aware) but this is not the usual. Can anyone shed any light? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD
    I know how you feel and it can wear you out and you ache
    all over i have it all the time i dont know what its like for some one else. we all have it and it all seems different with each person i have oa.
    t'm sure we must rattle with all the tabs we take.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Daisy, I have inflammatory arthritis and cervical spondylosis. I understand the inflammatory part, but not how the OA part works.

For example, I am trying to reduce my steroids and it has triggered my neck to flare big time. Yet, my neck is OA???? I have found that they just seem to irritate one another.

I am having a mini flare generally at the moment, temperature, heat, pain swollen, hot joints, fatigue etc yet my neck is so painful, stiff etc.

I am trying unsuccessfully to explain that for me at least they are interlinked somehow. I know my neck causes extreme tiredness, headches and pain that makes me want to throw up. Heat helps, whereas heat is totally unhelpful for my inflamed joints elsewhere.

Now, I am thinking I have been no help and wish I hadn't started. Sorry!!! :roll:

I hope someone else has some really good tips for you :grin:
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi there DD

I find with the constant pain of OA your tired all the time, I just want to go to bed. My problem at the moment is that I have to lay on my back to sleep which is where the next lot of arthritis is. I feel I cant win at the moment. Lets be honest DD, it's all a viscious circle isn't it.

Karen xx

PS Sorry if it doesn't make a lot of sense, I keep dropping of, think it's the antibiotics doing it plus the anti clotting tabs
    Karen xx
  • princess935
    princess935 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    For me it feels like one big flare up, for me it hasnt gone better at all, just worse each month. And the tiredness when im having a really bad day is awful.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    DD - I'm sorry I can't really help here. OA had joined my RA long before anyone thought to mention it me in passing so I never really learnt to distinguish between the two.

Suzygirl - the neck/head pains. As I mentioned earlier today on Sky's thread, my neck hardly moves at all and I stopped myself waking up with migraine-like headaches that made me throw up by using a shaped memory foam pillow. I also have a surgical neck brace which used to help a bit before I got the pillow. Since then I've never needed it. (Got it from orthotics, I thinkl)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    :sad: Oh, you poor, poor things, I am sorry I asked, I didn't mean to make things worse. I am used to the PA flares as I said, they make me feel ill and more tired, I am just 'off' today and cannot explain it which set me wondering why. Weather? Meds? Mood? Haven't a clue. I 'melt' on a regular basis (as you all know) but a temperature is not involved. We are all so different, which is part of the frustration for me. At least when you have measles you have measles and everyone can see it's measles. Damned arthritis. :sad: Right, dullers here we come. Can't stand it no more, I need the edge removed. DD
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Sorry to hijack your thread a mo, DD!!
    Sticky, thanks for the tip on the memory foam pillow. That is going to be my next purchase. I also wake up with the migraine type headaches, and want to throw up. I may PM you, if you don't mind for more tips??? I did buy a collar as the gp recommended, but can't straighten my neck enough to get it on. :lol:

Daisy, I hope the pain dullers work. The weather is very odd at the moment, I can't get rid of my migraines and I am blaming the weather. I hope you manage to get things sorted.

Another thought is that the PA will cause OA damage as it speeds up the process. I have read it somewhere, so that may be why you can't differentiate between the two??? If that makes sense. :shock:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I went to see my rheumatology nurse on 19 April, a routine appointment and I asked for Xrays as my knees have been so troublesome. I thought it was PA damage and wanted confirmation. What we saw a few hours later was astonishing, she described it as 'classic and extensive OA damage', I would describe it as ******* awful. :smile: This has crept in under the radar, so to speak: all my attention has been focused on the PA and the 'failure' of the meds to alleviate matters, well DUH Daisy, meth etc doesn't do much for OA! Has the OA been caused by the PA? Dunno, who can say and truth be told I don't care. It's there and has to be dealt with. Frustration levels are running high and we all know about frustration. Never mind, it will pass, all things do.
  • fudge
    fudge Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Hello DD, sorry you are feeling something is amiss - out of kilter.

Everyday stuff for me is ache and pain in various joints.

Flair - my scalp hurts, my joints burn and seem to buzz. I feel as though I have sand in my eyes, my toes drive me crazy. Lots of heat. Psoriasis breaks out. More tired than usual, can't find a comfortable position to sit or lay. Weather - sun or rain couldn't give a damn, I feel as though every step is taken through molasses and I am more wobbly than usual. No appetite, feel sickly.

Hard to explain, but normal pain is ' clear cut ' - flair is blurry and messy.

It's a storm, thunder with flashes of lightning going through rolling black clouds. No refreshing rain though.

Usual is pain but you still want to get on with things, flair is - numb not interested - can't even cry in frustration.

Thats my length of string as far as the OA is concerned.

I hope you feel - words fail me, can't say better soon - hope DD is back on form soon, meanwhile take it easy bonnie lass, and be kind to yourself.

Sending a gentle touch on your shoulder.
    fudge.
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi DD interesting topic , i have oa in the knees and all though i have a constant ache i am now noticing different issues that i think i can class as a flare , tiredness and irritability ,fuzzy head , much more pain in the whole , and clumsily sluggish , it is very draining but a case of carry on regardless , i hope you can get some relief from your DR xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    Well I have OA and didnt think you got flares with OA {just with other kinds of arthur} If some of you have read my other post about a sore hip......I can hardly walk...for about 5 days it has been getting worse......not at all similar to the pain i normally have in it. I was getting acupuncture today and mentioned it to him {he's a physio as well} and he worked on my hip, stretching and manipulating it and he said it was a flare?????? he then proeeded to do the acupuncture.
    I'm sorry you are feeling rotten today.
    Hope you feel a bit better tomorrow but i wont be about to find out. I'll check back in the forum on Sun evening or Mon

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    How dare you go away and leave me in my hour of need. :grin: (I am relying hileena, heavily, on the fact that you 'know' me by now and understand my humour!)

Oh fudge, (is that why your username is fudge?) your post was very moving, you have summed it all up beautifully. I can usually battle through a PA flare, it's only the severe ones that really flatten me (note to self, haven't had one of those for a while so perhaps the meds ARE doing summat) but this is different. I am certainly more 'fuzzy' so won't be on here for long.

berty, you also made some pertinent points. The whole thing is so confusing, yes? How much do I 'blame' the arthrits, or the weather, or, perhaps, heaven forbid, this is actually something normal and not related to the pestilence at all? As for the GP, well, what can he do? I am already on the stuff I need to be taking.

Je suis bemused. Thank you, everyone. hileena? I hope you have a lovely time. DD
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    oh DD please dont think i was telling you to carry on regardless , i was talking to my self if you know what i mean , we are all so different , have you tried accupuncture , be gentle with your self xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    Yes I know you and your sense of humour by now :lol::lol:
    It might keep my sanity getting away for a few days even if I cant put one foot in front of the other.
    At least I will have paddymobile with me.
    See you Sun/Mon

Love
    Hileena
  • jayneys
    jayneys Member Posts: 122
    Options
    DD.....so sorry you are feeling so low ,im glad you asked what a flare is iv been trying to put into words just what its like Every body on here has puts it so well i can see parts of all that they have said in my flares .Sometimes iwonder how much is the oa and just what is going on,i realy wish you well and all the people on here,at least we are not on our own in this struggle. all the best Jayne xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Gosh, it's all such a muddle. My right knee is the worst-affected with OA, my left has similar damage, ie bone-on-bone on the outside of the joint and spurs, but this morning it is also very 'congested', it feels as though it has been injected with foam (which is the PA inflammation doing its thang). Blimey-oh-flaming-Riley. Never mind, it will pass, all things do. It does try one's patience tho, doesn't it? DD
  • jayneys
    jayneys Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi DD ....IT it is a right old muddle,im so sorry i cant be more of a help to you ,you are such a help to all on here,OA IS MIND BLOWING,and it seams to afect everybody in all sorts of ways and not good ways .Im haveing a rare good day ,and i keep thinking this cant be right ,instead of injoying it. madness.........Keep being as patience as you can and im trying to do the same its very hard ,ido a lot of talking to my self mostly swarering,thats not spelt right and i dont mean bloody hell ,a bit stronger.Well DD ....LOTS of hugs good night...Jayne ...xxxxxxxxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Jayne, we all help each other by cheering each other on, listening, relating experiences etc etc etc. I have to admit that the OA does 'feel' different to the PA, it is much more of a constant for me, at least the PA would ebb and flow, the OA just seems to flow, which when you think about the kind of damage it causes makes sense. Bone-on-bone ain't ever going to ease, is it? :roll: Never mind. I hope you have a good week-end and that your OA stays in the background for a while. DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I never knew OA flares either! I have OA in my left ankle and it just hurts most of the time and by the end of a day it is agony. I have noticed I am more tired nowadays.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein