Cold fingers when they ache badly

scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
Hi, I noticed a few times at work today that various fingers on both hands and one thumb became very cold when the "pip" joint on that finger was acutely sore. It happened about four or five times during the day and was generally a different digit each time, although I think it happened to one finger a couple of times. All my fingers have been constantly achy all day.
I have yet to get a diagnosis, although I feel I have OA. Is there any connection here?
Cheers
Scozzie

Comments

• scozzie
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thank you Val
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    Dear Scozzie,

I'm really sorry that you didn't get a reply earlier. I understand due to illness we were acutely short staffed on the day you posted and then we were all at team training on Friday. And my colleague who often watches our forum is ill this weekend... So I'm going to try to help.

If you suspect you have osteoarthritis then it's possible that aches could be down to that, but coldness is not a classic description - i.e. what the osteoarthritis guides mention particularly. But it does not take any of us long on these forums to see how individual people's experiences can be.

You mention some acute pain - and that is very often what people may experience. A finger might get a joint that is ultra sensitive and swolen for a while. This period is often described as a flare up. I don't think that phrase quite does the pain justice.

But the problem with being in diagnosis 'limbo' is not knowing for sure what's happening. I do appreciate just how difficult that uncertainty can be. Would it help to give us a ring next week and talk about what's happening and what steps you've taken to get some answers?

I hope you will accept my sincere apology for the delay in replying to you post.

All the best Guy
  • scozzie
    Thanks Guy, the delay with a reply's not a problem. But waiting for a rheumy appointment is - this Thursday will make it six weeks since I was referred by my doctor and I've yet to hear a thing back.
    I'm taking ibuprofen two times a day at work, and generally one at night at bedtime - these are accompanied by two times two 8/500 co-codomol at work plus another two when I get home (if I remember) and two at bedtime. In the past three months I've probably taken more pain killers than I did in the previous ten years!
    Cheers
    Scozzie
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    Dear Scozzie,

I wonder whether you've got our information on ways to self manage hand problems yet? Because doing daily tasks differently, (avoiding heavy lifting, doing some jobs two-handed) and daily hand exercises are all recommended. A referral to an occpational therapist can be helpful too.

to get that information, email us helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk say it's about hand self management and give us your full name and postal address.

I hope that is helpful

Guy
  • scozzie
    Thank you again Guy, I have emailed the helpline as you suggested.
    With regard to avoiding heavy lifting, etc I am attempting to change how I do things, however part of the nature of my job is lifting which I have been managing to avoid doing too much of. A full diagnosis will help with things, I have an appointment for July 11th.
    Cheers
    Laurie
  • tracey40
    tracey40 Member Posts: 9
    hi scozzie, i have the same prob with my fingers, god it hurts doesnt it, i have found that wearing fingerless gloves sometimes helps, and they look cool, also i use atens machine, its probably not something you can use at work, but maybe during your break, or when you get home, it does help, apart from that im pretty new to this having just been diagnosed myself. good luck with you appointment, all the best love tracey x 8)
  • scozzie
    Thanks for the reply Tracey, I think you're the first person that's responsed who knows what I'm talking about. It doesn't happen often, but when it does – you're right – it hurts!
    Scozzie
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Hiya just found this...

i have problems with the last 3 fingers on my left hand, they hurt real bad and like it now as i type, had to take rings off as the fngers are swollen again but that both hands,
    my 3 fingers hurt and get so cold they throb, had an apoointment 4 years ago to see a dr with a follow up appointment regarding my cold hand, mainly my right only, been told i have raynaulds not sure on this, but the pain sometimes is awful just the 3 fingers, wedding ring/middle and little one, index and thumb nice and warm and wouldnt say pain free but not as bad as my other 3,
    i have a nice pair of long lilac fingerless gloves lol my late mother in law made them for me about 18 years ago, its hard to get that hand warmed up at times but its good to help with fingerless gloves
    xxx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png