Using crutches

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 3. Jun 2011, 13:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,

In July, I will be having an operation on my ankle to remove a lump of bone that's being irritated by inflammation. It's a bigger operation than I'd realised (not keyhole) but it needs to be done. I will be in plaster cast for 2 weeks and then will slowly be putting pressure on the ankle. So, I'm going to be on crutches for a minimum of 2 weeks but ortho said to expect more. I have arthritis in my hands and suffer particularly badly with my wrists. I have no idea how I'm going to be able to actually use crutches. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Sophie

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The short answer is 'no', Starburst but, post op, when others have moved onto elbow crutches, I've been 'allowed' one of those walking frames that you rest your forearms on as my fingers are rubbish and my wrists locked. However, it'd be difficult at home with one of those as they require a fair bit of space.

I'd try not to worry about that though. They'll find you something you can use. The main thing is to get the op over & done with. Hope it all goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    Hi Starburst
    when you start using crutches ask them if you can have what they call arthritic crutches (i think thats what they call them ) they have a rest on them where you rest on them with your forearms so you are not putting the weight on your wrists. hope the op goes well.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hi All
    i have a thr and tkr i was given crutches to use i'm going in to hospital on the 6 june for a op on my foot i'm having a tripple fusion and my big toe straightened it will be in plaster for 12 weeks 6 weeks no weight bearing and i was told i was having a gutter frame.
    i have a zimmer frame at the moment because i fell over and i could not walk very well i've been practicing walking on one leg and thats alright but know i would not be able to walk holding one leg up with crutches i also have c palsy.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    HI sophie

You may need to ask for gutter crutches I couldnt walk unaided so the rheumy refverred me to physio for crutches. Despite me saying my hands and wrisdts are in immnese pain and weak they gave me normal crutches and made me learn to walk with them on the flat and up and down stairs. Sounds long it was a 15 minute lesson with me crying in pain. Make sure you wear your wrist splints she said.
    A week later (it took that long to recover from the pain) My rheumy requested gutter crutches they were much better although I was told by a different physio it was not adviseed I use them for going any distance due to my shoulders.
    They dont hand out gutter crutches as they are much more expensive and as my expereience shows common sense doesnt overide departmental costs.
    Good luck for next week

(((())))
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

I've spoken to my physio who said it may be possible for me to have a walking cast, which would be my preference. If not, there are special crutches but they will need to be ordered in. I see my consultant next Tuesday and this will be an important question.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    It would be excellent if you could get a walking cast. I know I had an accident with my ankle.....well smashed up , pins, plates screws etc in it.....still there a few years later. but I was sent home and told not to put any weight on my foot for a minimum of 2 weeks probably longer....what did they send me home with? A zimmer frame.....I asked how I used that and not put my foot on the ground. zimmer, hop zimmer hop etc....I have arthur in hips and spine but they paid no attention to that.....gave me underarm crutchess to do the stairs with.....crutch hop crutch hop. I thought i will do it {when the physios said I couldnt get out until i could do the stairs} and then I'll do it my own way when i get home :lol: I was 62 then.....cant you imagine me hopping up the stairs :lol: I spent the next month or so going up and down on my bum.....easier and much safer :lol:
    Good luck
    By the way what are thes gutter crutches???
    Love
    Hileena
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I've just had my big toe joint removed and needed crutches but having had a TWR last Nov I am not allowed to bare weight on my left wrist so could only have one cruth which I have managed to use with no problem I also have bad OA in my other wrist and hands but managed quite well, I basically rested my forearm on the actual crutch with my hand right through if you know what I mean, so if all else fails you can do it , had stitches out yesterday and am now starting to manage with out it, good luck for 6th x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Thanks...I clicked the link....they do look expensive :lol:
    Never seen them before

Love
    Hileena
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    I had a triple arthrodesis and big toe osteotomy and because I am unable to use crutches, I was given a K9 scooter. It was a godsend. I know they are very difficult to get hold of but it's worth asking the physio dept.
    Sue (Cloud9)