i had the injections

Options
princess935
princess935 Member Posts: 90
edited 27. May 2011, 14:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well i almost ran out the hospital before i went in. I was crying as soon as i left the house i was petrified.

A nurse held my hand while i was hyperventilating, he did the left knee first, god it stung when the needle went in and hurt when the steroid and local was going in. He said some fluid came out but because i was so upset he didnt want to drain the fluid today as it would have taken longer. He did the right knee and it wasnt half as bad as the left one, didnt even cry for the right one.

He said the left one is having a bad flare up, it was hot to the touch and more swollen than the right one. I go to see him in 2 weeks, he is going to have another look at the swelling and fluid and may do a scan he said.

And the purple on the inner sides of my knees are varicose veins, they dont look like it but he said over the years it will become more noticable.

Varicose veins at my age, so on a downer about that now too.

When i was walking out the hospital with my stick, my knees felt very strange, no pain or stiffness but like they couldnt move. Had a sleep for last 2 hours got up and no pain, so far so good. I'll be off to that 40th party tomorrow night and having a good old dance i think.

xx

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well, you go for it girl and you have a really good time tomorrow.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am glad to read that you got through it OK, it is a shame he couldn't get the fluid out because that is the thing that can make the biggest difference. Ideally the local should go in first, be left for about five minutes, then the aspiration then the steroiding.

Rest those knees as much as you can so that the steroid has a chance to really sink into the joint and be as effective as it can be. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't - the most benefit I have ever had was three days of considerably less pain, but for some it can be a deal longer. Take care and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Princess.

Just wanted to say "well done" with the injections and that I am really pleased they are helping you.

Have a lovely time at the birthday party!

Love Tilly xxx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Glad you have had your injections. I don't blame you for being worried. The first time I had joint injections, he did them there and then, so I didn't have time to think about it. If I had though, I am sure I would have chickened out.

Rest your knees to give the steroid chance to work. Enjoy your party!!