Arthritis is turning me into a stuntwoman, which is nice.

Options
rivermum
rivermum Member Posts: 10
edited 28. May 2011, 17:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone

Following on from my negative post the other day in which I fell down the stairs because my knees gave way, I thought I would share with you what has happened since.

Nearly tumbled again yesterday, but went down stairs on my backside instead - elegant, stylish and it worked. :P

This morning, I completely forgot about this new manoeuvre, and tried to be all clever and actually walk. Again I fell. THIS time however, I managed to grip the bannister and slide down without damaging myself. I'm seriously considering allowing my children to youtube me, as it will be an endless source of amusement to many.

I'm now preparing for a trip to Westfield shopping centre. I'm taking a walking stick, and I won't be afraid to use it. :green

Have a Happy Saturday everyone x

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rivermum,

I so agree with you that you learn to minimise falls :lol: I just wish in my case I wouldn't use my right knee so much to land :wink:

You go careful flower and a very happy Saturday to you as well. Cris x
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your problem, it's good you can have a sense of humour about it, that certainly helps, wishing you well, have a good day,

Sue x
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Hi Rivermum

I had to laugh this reminded me of a few years ago I could get upstairs on my forearms and knees and the only way down was to slide on my bottom. This was fine steady bump bump bump down each step (im well padded ) Then I ventured up to our loft bedrooms to see some painting one of my girls had done. A slow steady crawl up the stairs was exhausting but I got there on the way down I sat atop the stairs ready to descend as always on my bottom one step at a time. Unfortunately the loft stairs are a fair bit steeper... :shock: I slid like a sled heading for the wall oppositew the bottom of the stairs :shock: :shock: luckily my son was in the bathroom heard the commotion and ran out and caught me just in the nick of time. My daughter was at the top of the stairs half in horror and half collapsing in tears of laughter. :oops:
    Do be careful on the stairs and make sure you have an anchor man ready to catch
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    Hi Rivermum

Video it! you have to!! Serioulsy though you be careful my girl!!! Stairs aren't half scary...Theresa's experience could have ended far worse couldn't it?

I hope the shopping trip went ok and you had a good time and the stick made you feel safer.

Love

toni xx
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Oh Yes, the dreaded stairs. before my op I would go up on all fours, come down as best as I could, sometimes ending up in heap at the bottom. I.m hoping once I am all healed I can again be elegant with my descent.

Hope you had a good day out shopping Rivermum.

Karen xx
    Karen xx