sore swollen hands :(

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 29. May 2011, 07:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I hope everyone is feeling ok on this lovely rainy Bank Holiday Weekend.
I have started my hydro for my hips and am looking forward to my next session after the Bank Holiday. My hips are as they always are achey at times, ok at times.
But my poor hands are not well! It started yesterday, when my right hand mainly started to swell over the knuckles and is really painful. I can feel my joints changing shape in comparison to my other hand, and I have taken off my ring which I wear on my right hand as my fingers are swelling too. This is causing me to have `grip` problems too .:(
I am taking my Naproxen as usual and am adding in some paracetamol. I am wearing gloves (yes in British Summer time) but wondered if you lovely people had any more tips I can do whilst the docs are closed??
Thanks for reading
NB

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Nearly,

Good to see you again. Glad the hydro is going ok and hope the hip will settle to be more ok than achy soon.

I also have hands that are swollen over the knuckles and I find hot water helps them a lot wither by running it oer than but normally I just run a bowl of it and shard with them in it.

legs told me to try ice as thats meant to be as or more effective but I could never bring my self to handle something that cold :lol: But it is effective cus in winter I have to break the ice on troughs and pull it out and well it does help.

Hope others have better ideas and also that it soon goes down but take a pic of it and well maybe you could ask to see a rumo to rule out a few things? ((( ))) and a hope flower. Cris xx
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    HI
    Ive always found hot water a help for swollen joints hands or otherwise, I was told to put cold on them but that sends pain right through my arm like an ache through my bone so bad I cry. So hot it is. I tend to get hot baths as its never just my hand joints that are swollen.

Hope you feel better soon
    a few ((())) might help a bit gentle ones :smile:
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    hi
    thanks Cris and Theresa
    I tried the hot water thing last night before bed and did help a bit, thanks x.
    I really couldn`t do the cold water thing, sounds painful, and not sure if I should cos of the Raynauds? I am sticking to the fingerless gloves too, although i feel like `Scrooge` or something!!
    My knuckles have swollen more, in fact its difficult to make out where each knuckle starts and ends today.
    Cris,I did speak to my GP a while ago about my hands, but they weren`t this bad. Maybe another trip is looming...
    Thanks again xx
    NB
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi nearly

I was going to suggest frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel but just thought , you mentioned raynauds so perhaps that isn't good eh?

The only other thing would be a wax bath treatment.

Sorry not much help , I hope the hands settle down soon.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Nearly,
    Thermal heat pads and hot wax bath might help until you get to the doctors. This weekend will seem a long one for you. I wore the fingerless gloves for work and I found the ones that convert into a mitten the best ones as the mitten flap folds back onto the knuckles to add extra warmth.
    I hope you can get an appointment soon.
    Lv, I x