Good afternoon

theresa4
theresa4 Member Posts: 696
edited 28. May 2011, 16:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
I decided to leave my miserable post alone to fade away into obscurity down the pages.

I could do with a shopping hint.

Im struggling to cut meat at the minute and am finding it very embarrassing to ask others especially in company or when Im out to cut it up for me. Does anyone know where I can get some really good steak knives that might help. I bought the disabled knives before but they just excert more pressure on my wrist so are no good I need a knife that will cut through the meat like butter as I cant put pressure on it. As for the out eating I may have ot request a steak knife when I order so I avoid feeling embarrassed.

Any good knives out there tried and tested as I have limited funds at the minute
There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Afternoon Theresa!

Sorry, have just added to your other post, so it will have come back up the list again.

Mmm, the knife thing is a difficult one isn't it? I don't each much meat but I can see why it's hard to cut when your hands are wrists are not good. I'm sure others will be along with some good ideas soon cos I bet you're not the only one with this dilemma.

In terms of asking for a steak knife when you are out - think that's a great idea. When I worked in a tea room, there was a lady who used to ask for a sharp knife whenever she ordered food because she found it hard to cut up otherwise and we never minded - or even gave it a second thought after a while. I was going to say that, if you did find a good sharp knife, you could perhaps take it with you when you went out but then I thought you might get arrested for possession of a concealed weapon, :shock: so maybe not!

Will be interested to see what others come up with.

Thinking of you.

Love Tilly xxx
  • theresa4
    HI Tilly

Firstly Im glad you bumped up the thread DDs comment about the searchlight made me laugh so thankyou xx

As for the 'weapon' carrying I did consider takiing a sharp knife then realised the same as you :shock: can you imagine the headlines :lol:
    And here I am trying to be incognito 8) it would add to DD's searchlight comment though :lol:

thanks Tilly

Such laughs Im having today despite everything else
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think Linda Legs once put up something on the 'Simple Ideas' sticky thread. As I remember (possibly wrongly) I think basically she asks the waiter to cut up her meat for her. This would tak eplenty of chuzpah(!) but our Legs has that in spades. I'm virtually veggie (no meat, just fish) so can get away with just a fork. If I ever run into trouble I just ask my husband to it for me.

I know, at first one feels very self-conscious but I don't believe most people notice or care and I do think it helps to keep doing little things that take us right out of our comfort zones cos we feel we've achieved so much aferwards.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I use a veg knife which is very sharp, but not elegant with visitors but, at least it helps! I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to ask the waiter to cut it up, but its the most sensible thing to do if you'r out and you get to eat what you like without sending the food across the table! :oops: :oops: Pride goes before a fall, as Mum used to say!!! :oops: :smile: Love Sue
  • remixmum
    remixmum Member Posts: 82
    Sorry I dont have ant recommendations for steak knives cos I stole mine from my mum.

Regarding knife laws, you can take a steak knife out with you, but if pulled up about it by the police you have to be able to prove that you only want to attack a steak and not a person, I assume that my medical records will prove the difficulty that I have.

The relevant law is found in the Prevention of Crime Act 1953. Section 1 (1) provides;

Any person who without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the proof whereof shall lie on him, has with him in any public place any offensive weapon shall be guilty of an offence.'

I wouldnt have a problem carrying a steak knife in my bag if I was going out to eat.

Though if my mum finds out I knicked her knife she may press charges :lol:

Geri xxx
    Geri XXX
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    I think you could always plead that you are female and not male and use the loop hole that the law states

Any person who without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the proof whereof shall lie on him, has with him in any public place any offensive weapon shall be guilty of an offence.'

Just a thought :):)
    Jakib0644.gif
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    With meat , fish ,anything really ; I attempt to cut and if unable to do so ; I ask someone to do it for me , my hubby , my kids , my friends , my son or daughters in law ; possibly even a waiter ! I always take my own cutlery when eating out large handled fork , spoon and rocker knife , as I can't grasp the thin elegant cutlery in restaurents and bars . Finally , if it's something awkward to eat ; then I use a spoon to eat it . I guess it's easier for me as I'm older than most and really don't care if strangers in a restaurent think I'm soft in the head . The people I care about and who care about me , know very well that I AM a bit soft in the head and always have been !
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    jillyb1 wrote:
    The people I care about and who care about me , know very well that I AM a bit soft in the head and always have been !

Aw, jillyb1, I don't think so. I think it takes mental toughness to just go for it regardless of what arthritis throws at us and who's around to see. You carry on flying the flag.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • cat75
    cat75 Member Posts: 29
    Hi, I'm glad I found this my problem isn't cutting food when I'm out but I'm thinking getting a wire cheese cutter because my wrist really hurts sometimes and cheese is just about the only thing my daughter will have on a sandwich, does anyone else use one.
  • theresa4
    HI Cat

no havent thought of a cheese wire Id probably slice through me fingers Im so clumsy :eek:

Theresa xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    we got some cheep ones and they very good but can not remember where we got them from typical of me i am afraid.
    i grate cheese as cutting it to hard these days val
    val
  • cat75
    cat75 Member Posts: 29
    Hi thanks for the replies, I feel quite rude posting my problem on someone else's post. It's odd the things we used to take for granted though and now have to think of other ways around them isn't it.

Theresa you could always use you fingers. :lol:
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Theresa,
    I would ask the waiter when he comes for your order to request the chief to slice the meat before serving. Why not my husband does not like the sauces they pour over the meal so he request plain chicken etc. Most chiefs will be happy to oblige. Restaurants are struggling like many other businesses and are more customer savvy now.

hugs,
    Lv, I x
  • theresa4
    cat75 wrote:
    Hi thanks for the replies, I feel quite rude posting my problem on someone else's post. It's odd the things we used to take for granted though and now have to think of other ways around them isn't it.

Theresa you could always use you fingers. :lol:

Not at all rude Cat sometimes we think of niggly little things jsut because someone posted something. Its good to help through all lifes lttle problems xx

Theresa xxx