mobility help

tigger98
tigger98 Member Posts: 8
edited 17. Jun 2011, 12:39 in Young people's community
Hey im new to this and i was just wondering if i could have any help with a question thats been on my mind for a while. My situation is arthritis in my ankles, right knee and both hips as well as my wrist and elbow. My wrist and elbow are curing but my legs aren't. There's only my right hand side that now hurts and i was just wondering if crutches would be given to help me walk because I am noticing i am struggling a lot and when ive borrowed my friends crutches, its helped me out so much?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I was given NHS crutches afer an operation, but for long-term use they are not ideal. Ones with ergonomic handles are better and to find what suits you you need to try them for yourself. Any disability aids shop should have them and should have a range for you to try. Prices can be quite low, I think my cheapest set were £15 but they felt like it and didn't last too long. I buy mine as I can get what I want and need, plus the trust in my neck of the woods is very cash-strapped and doesn't hand out stuff like it used. Your area might be different though - ask your GP or rheumatologist for information on this, perhaps they could sort something out for you.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Hi Tigger,

Welcome and pleased to meet you :grin:

Ask to see a physio they will help with muscle strengthening exercise and will advise about the right crutches and the correct height for you.
    Good luck.

Rose x
  • tigger98
    Thanks guys and im hoping it wont come to operation but chances are i will after have an ankle or knee replacement in next 10 years which is scary becuase im only [ Text deleted] and i have done physio when my ankle wasnt bad but now its really bad and spreading. I see my rheumatologist on 15th June and im gonna ask about crutches because I dont wanna get some and then get told off because that wouldnt be such a good idea but thanks guys from Tyler (:x

*Personal details removed by Moderator AN
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope no-one tells you off: I think you are being very sensible. Walking on affected joints hurts them and throws other joints out of kilter which in turn causes more trouble. OK the crutches won't necessarily stop the pain of moving but they do give one balance and stablity, and that helps with confidence. I hadn't realised just how young you are - these two forums bring me up with a jolt sometimes, the fact that this dross gets at children and youngsters is abominable. I wish you the very best and I hope your rheumatologist listens to you and is able to help. DD
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    I hope your rheumy helps you out with some crutches. It is best to get them properly fitted by a physio or occupational therapist. However you can buy some really funky ones over the internet if you do get told they would help.

I hope you find something to help you.
  • tigger98
    Thanks dreamdaisy and suzygirl. By the way i know how to set crutches up and things and im thinking of getting some pink ones because i love pink so thanks anyways but i just wasnt sure and im hoping that the rheumatologist wouldnt mind me using them becuase it gives me more comfort because tablets dont work at all lol (:x
  • dreamdaisy
    The rheumatologist is not coping with the stuff you are. You do what's right for you - and yes, the meds don't do a lot, do they? :smile: Good luck, let us know how you get on. DD
  • tigger98
    I know,I wish i could give them the pain i go through especially having to walk up 6flights of stairs a day at school anyways i sure will let you know and thanks guys your really supportive x :smile:
  • dreamdaisy
    They like the theory, we cope with the reality. You take care, I wish you well and yes, let us know how you get on. DD
  • tigger98
    thanks you take care too and wish you well x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    tigger98 wrote:
    I know,I wish i could give them the pain i go through especially having to walk up 6flights of stairs a day at school anyways i sure will let you know and thanks guys your really supportive x :smile:

Tigger, does your school not have a lift? You shouldn't be trekking up those stairs when you're suffering so much.

Sophie x
  • tigger98
    it does but sometimes its not worth using it and then people think im faking this disease if i use it one day and not the next but a few days later i am again its annoying and theres a lot of b****es these dayz x
  • dreamdaisy
    Ye gods, I think that is one of the saddest posts I have ever read on the entire forum. tigger98 I am so sorry that you not only have to deal with this pig of a disease but the stupidity and callousness of your peers too. There is nothing more cruel than the teasing and jibing of youngsters to other youngsters who don't 'fit' - I remember it well from my school days. I am logging off now to make a cup of tea and have a good swear. DD

PS Did you sort out some crutches?
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Tigger..

I love the name.. i love winnie the pooh and crew.. i have a huge collection of tiggers..lol
    Anyway welcome to the forum, a place where you can feel comfortable and at ease.. we all know how you are feeling... the others who say things are very shallow minded and have no idea of what your are having to cope with.. it is so sad that still people are like that in society now adays..You keep walking round with your head held high luvie..
    I am 31 and i was worried about using a crutch, that was last week, and it was the best thing i have done as i feel so much more confident now, so maybe use it as a temporary measure untill you get the right ones for you..I have just been reffered to home physio so someone can come round to sort out appropiate walking aids, maybe you could mention this to your GP so that they can do a refferal..
    Keep us posted on how you are getting on, we are all here to help and support you..x
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • tigger98
    thanks all and they not sure now because my blood tests didnt show it up but they still going to treat it as JIA, they referred me to physio again to see if it loosens my muscles to help me walk better and if i have a flair up, i have to call them and they'll get me in within an hour and sort me out and give me walking aid but thanks all, your really kind and supportive, wish best for you all and thankyou travulie, I love winnie the pooh too and with my name being tyler i get called tiggi or tigger tyler ;) I hope that the walking aid's are helping you out and that everything goes okay for you. Tigger ;)x