Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Help us improve our website, chatbot and online community
We’d love your help to improve our digital services. It’s important to us that our website, chatbot and online community continue to support and provide information people with arthritis in the right way. We’re excited to be doing research to understand more about what’s working for you and what’s not so we can continue to improve what we’re doing.
You don’t need to be familiar with our digital services or a digital native to take part. The research will take one hour and will be run by a research consultancy SnapOut. Simply fill in the survey below to get involved. Together, we can continue to do more for people living with arthritis.

Fill in this survey to take part

Pauline Quirke

elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
edited 13. Jun 2011, 05:12 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I just read about the above actress as we watch Emmerdale when eating tea. There had been comments made about her weight, that she'd lost some and had to admit it was true. It turns out she is on lighter life diet of 500 calories a day, not real food, shakes, bars etc....Which i personally think is the wrong way to lose weight but all the same well done for realising she needed to do something, weighing in at over 19st this year, she has at present lost 2stone.
Now then, what i dislike about this is that prior to that she had a new hip done about 6 years ago and she is only about mid 50's now. She had always maintained that her surgeon insisted her weight had not made the condition worse (yeah right, dont take a genuis) and that she had the op on her own medical merits (which means she had money and got it cos she paid for it).....Now she's doing a u turn saying she basically wore her joint out cos of her wieght but why not just be honest all along? It annoys me when i struggling with weight issues, not 19st but people with money shouldnt be like this, it paints a bad picture for people with joint issues and struggling to get treatment on the good old NHS....
Still like i say she is losing it then she'll pay to have all her loose skin removed cos apparently she wanted to lose 8stone...

Elainex

Comments

  • fudgefudge Posts: 78
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Money and Fame can do wonders.

    fudge
  • tkachevtkachev Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    very interesting Elaine. I also wish people would be honest but I think they convince themselves it aint happening.i have a friend who had a stomach band and has lost loads of weight(7 stone since Sept).It was done to help with his bad hip which had been damaged due to the weight.

    i would do anything to lose weight to tell the truth.


    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

    Define yourself........

    Harvey Fierstein
  • NinaKKangNinaKKang Posts: 663
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As an aside to this, ever noticed how much more sympathy those who are underweight get than those who are overweight? I think it's a shame as both "groups" of people clearly need help.

    I didn't like the bad press that lady from daytime TV got when she had the op to lose weight (I want to say Fern Britton? Married to the chef?). Yes, she had the op and yes, she tried to keep it a secret - so what? It was nobody else's business!

    Nxx
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It was Fern Britton and it was someone else's business as she was promoting a healthier lifestyle and claimed she had lost all that weight due to following a strict diet! She lied, pure and simple. Ann Diamond too, doing that celebrity weight-loss thing having had a gastric band fitted. These idiotic women don't help themselves, or others, in their grubby pursuit of publicity. As for la Quirke, was her hip-op done on the NHS or privately? And does it matter? Hypocrisy is apparently acceptable when one is a public figure.

    Obviously losing weight is a sensible idea to ease the strain on joints, and if an op is in the offing it will make the op itself more straightforward for the surgeon, and make one's recovery easier and quicker. For some weight loss is a matter of will-power and re-educating the mind and tastebuds, for others they cannot summon that so need the public nature of WW or SW, for others that is anathema so they opt for the LL course or whatever. I happen to think that the only one that works long-term (and cheaply) is the first one - an ex-flatmate used to talk about 'bored teeth syndrome' and she was spot-on. It's not a case of 'I am in constant pain so I will have this cream cake as a reward.' It's more 'I am in constant pain but the pain may be reduced if I DON'T have this cream cake.' It's not easy though. Carrot sticks, anyone? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hiya

    Yes it can and like I said its good intentions but she already has new hip, i suspect other one it going now and that has prompted this...

    Elainex
    fudge wrote:
    Money and Fame can do wonders.

    fudge
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

    Well yes i suppose everyone kids themselves whether its about age or weight or going grey that they are not...Truth be told your own eyes are the harshest critic....And yes to ease pressure on joint it always good..

    Elainex
    tkachev wrote:
    very interesting Elaine. I also wish people would be honest but I think they convince themselves it aint happening.i have a friend who had a stomach band and has lost loads of weight(7 stone since Sept).It was done to help with his bad hip which had been damaged due to the weight.

    i would do anything to lose weight to tell the truth.


    Elizabeth
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Nina

    Well you know i think underweight people do get sympathy too as folk always on at them to put on weight but they have a metabolism that simply cant (not that I will ever know what thats like)!
    Fern Britton did do well, I think she did exercise quite a lot too and cut down before the op so I say well done to her..When you compare her to Vanessa Feltz, i honestly dont see a difference with the latter and she has had a band put in too....I guess all people are different.

    Elainex
    NinaKKang wrote:
    As an aside to this, ever noticed how much more sympathy those who are underweight get than those who are overweight? I think it's a shame as both "groups" of people clearly need help.

    I didn't like the bad press that lady from daytime TV got when she had the op to lose weight (I want to say Fern Britton? Married to the chef?). Yes, she had the op and yes, she tried to keep it a secret - so what? It was nobody else's business!

    Nxx
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

    Well its only cos they are in the public eye that people do get to know these things....And yes it is a matter of privacy but they are the ones giving interviews too.....Ann Diamond, havent seen her for ages, wonder what she's up to now? Quirke's was done privately, paid for...
    I think dieting sensibly is a good way to do it...I couldnt, and have done it years ago when in mid 20's had that milkshake one and it only did one thing for me that werent good! So i couldnt do it....Diet and exercise does pay off...Saying no and smaller portions of the right stuf can do wonders!
    Im afraid I lost you a bit on your post...Dont know what WW, SW or LL means and tried to read it but maybe ive got me dim head on!!? I have lost a day with bank hol (my excuse)!..

    elainex
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It was Fern Britton and it was someone else's business as she was promoting a healthier lifestyle and claimed she had lost all that weight due to following a strict diet! She lied, pure and simple. Ann Diamond too, doing that celebrity weight-loss thing having had a gastric band fitted. These idiotic women don't help themselves, or others, in their grubby pursuit of publicity. As for la Quirke, was her hip-op done on the NHS or privately? And does it matter? Hypocrisy is apparently acceptable when one is a public figure.

    Obviously losing weight is a sensible idea to ease the strain on joints, and if an op is in the offing it will make the op itself more straightforward for the surgeon, and make one's recovery easier and quicker. For some weight loss is a matter of will-power and re-educating the mind and tastebuds, for others they cannot summon that so need the public nature of WW or SW, for others that is anathema so they opt for the LL course or whatever. I happen to think that the only one that works long-term (and cheaply) is the first one - an ex-flatmate used to talk about 'bored teeth syndrome' and she was spot-on. It's not a case of 'I am in constant pain so I will have this cream cake as a reward.' It's more 'I am in constant pain but the pain may be reduced if I DON'T have this cream cake.' It's not easy though. Carrot sticks, anyone? DD
  • wendgrowendgro Posts: 296
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have struggled with my weight all my life I have had the THR and TKR but only when I had lost some weight it is to do with your BMI and the anaesthetic thats the root of some problems of course your weight doesn't help before I had mine done I was working had 4 small jobs and was very active since all these have gone (jobs ) I have put some weight on due to immobility and believe me it's so hard to loose weight under these circumstances.If someone had offered me a gastric band op I would have had it done I might now be thin and active instead of fat and inactive I can only dream on :smile:
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

    Well ive never all my life been less than a size 16-18 and that was when i worked full time..Im not denying i did eat bad things too but not excessive such as when my mates wanted a takeaway, piece of carrot cake then we had it, my metabolism made it easier for my body to convert it into fat...
    I too have lost mobility but im pushing myself now as well as dieting...Im walking every day, go to gym once a week and swim twice a week.....Yes i hurt afterwards but i try as i want to have my TKR........I wouldnt ever opt for a gastric band as i havent tried every diet in the world and my weight has on the whole been stable....I mean i have put on some since losing mobility but to me that makes sense, if i was super active and on 500cals a day and still going up the scales i would seek gastirc and advice....I think very much its a last resort and if you can afford it yourself also as well i havent met many people in my areas that have had it but that doesnt mean its not common practice elsewhere.

    Elainex
    wendgro wrote:
    I have struggled with my weight all my life I have had the THR and TKR but only when I had lost some weight it is to do with your BMI and the anaesthetic thats the root of some problems of course your weight doesn't help before I had mine done I was working had 4 small jobs and was very active since all these have gone (jobs ) I have put some weight on due to immobility and believe me it's so hard to loose weight under these circumstances.If someone had offered me a gastric band op I would have had it done I might now be thin and active instead of fat and inactive I can only dream on :smile:
  • wannabewriterwannabewriter Posts: 114
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

    I think:

    SW - slimming world
    WW - weight watchers
    LL - Lighter life

    :)

    I'm on the willpower diet to ease the pain on me knees....three stone down, four to go! (Half thyroid problem, half laziness, half greed. Oops three halves - that'll be why I can't count calories very well then...)

    x
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

    Oh right, ta for that..!!Doh..
    Well done on your wieght loss you!

    Elainex
    Hi

    I think:

    SW - slimming world
    WW - weight watchers
    LL - Lighter life

    :)

    I'm on the willpower diet to ease the pain on me knees....three stone down, four to go! (Half thyroid problem, half laziness, half greed. Oops three halves - that'll be why I can't count calories very well then...)

    x
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wire gobs shut, thatd do it!!

    Elainex
    rehab44 wrote:
    Maybe they should have throat bands instead of gastric bands?
  • NinaKKangNinaKKang Posts: 663
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    rehab44 wrote:
    Maybe they should have throat bands instead of gastric bands?

    I tried having myjaws wired shut once but my will to speak was too strong :D

    Nxx
  • elainebadkneeelainebadknee Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Nina

    Well in my case heavy duty welding would work maybe!!! lol

    Elainex
    NinaKKang wrote:
    rehab44 wrote:
    Maybe they should have throat bands instead of gastric bands?

    I tried having myjaws wired shut once but my will to speak was too strong :D

    Nxx
  • liesaliesa Posts: 821
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I Have been allowed funding for a gastirc bypass, i was told my knee replacement i had 4 years ago was not due to my weight, another dr im sure will say different, but as i have put on almost another 2stone more due to my immobility, weighing in at nearly 20 stone, this is affecting my life enormously, the knee replacement i had june 2007 hasnt worked and im in more pain today as i was then, ive tried many different drugs to help my joints and a few have awful weight gain consequence and still didnt ease my pain, i had several spells at the local hospital last year for horrendous sickness and unable to keep my medications in leading to horrific joint pain (i know that sounds a bit over the top but it truely was awful) ive been accepted for a gastric bypass to be done at kings college hospital in london but due to the sickness spells last year they need to be clear of any other underlying problems, so had an endoscopy/colonoscopy last year and nothing showed up yet i had a haitus hernia diagnosed years ago which plays up a lot, so had to have a CT scan to rule out any possible problems, they found none in my stomach/bowel but something showed up in my 'girly' bits which needed looking into, simple cyst in ovary was found but leaving alone, was told to let kings know when the problem was sorted in order to get back to the waiting list for the gastric bypass and really the waiting list is or was 6 months long, wouldve been due to have this month... still waiting for the follow up apppointment.....
    the rhuematologist kept saying the same thing over and over again ' the gastric bypass surgery will really help you' which annoyed me so much as im scared stiff of having this surgery but cant see any other way out....
    just dont know where im at right now....#:(
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • tkachevtkachev Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Liesa,

    Good luck. I have a friend who had the gastric band fitted and he has lost 7 stone over 6 months(prob more by now). He started at 20 stone too. He did have a problem during the op(I have to be honest) though alright now.

    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

    Define yourself........

    Harvey Fierstein
Sign In or Register to comment.