Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

Antibiotics help?????????????????????????

SkySky Posts: 18
edited 3. Sep 2011, 16:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was just wondering if anyone knows about whether antibiotics, penicillin (amoxil) has any effect on arthritis???
I have it in my spine but I recently got some relief from it for a few days. I had been on penicillin for a gum infection at the time but I was wondering if the taking of antibiotics could be connected. I was in less pain and getting around more easily. Is antibiotics a treatment option??? Seems like a funny coincidence :roll:

Comments

• dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think I have read somewhere of someone who thought they had arthritis taking an anti-biotic for something and her arthritis went: it turned out it wasn't arthritis she had, it was Lyme's disease. Possibly reactive arthritis could be helped by anti-biotics, is that what you have? Or it could just be that you had a flare that happened to die down at the same time you took the tablets. It's a conundrum, this arthritis malarkey. I hope you continue to feel better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fudgefudge Posts: 78
    Hello sky - I recall reading the thread about someone on antibiotics feeling the arther was a lot less troublesome.
    Makes sense, all arthritis-isis's ( :!: ) are based on inflamation , if it has an ' itis ' on the end of it, it is inflamed - appendisitis - tonsilitis - laryngitis etc etc. Then there the other ones that are autoimmune related as well.

Good you are feeling a bit better, hope you can make the most of it with out over doing it. :wink:

fudge
  • SkySky Posts: 18
    No I'm in agony again now. was only a 7 day course. I'm off them now, just that I could have sworn it was better the last few days on them. It is Psoriatic arthritis of spine and neck etc
  • fudgefudge Posts: 78
    edited 31. May 2011, 13:18
    Hello sky, so sorry to hear you are agony again, might be worth mentioning this to your GP, see if he / she has any thoughts on it.
    Just read you have had your MRI and got results, I do think - along with a lot of others on here that you should be getting better drugs and treatment to help you manage this in some way.

I know it is hard to speak up for yourself when you are in pain and feeling really awful, I hope you can try, have someone go with you if you can to your next appointment. Sounds like you are having a rotten time of it, I hope you can get better treatment.

leavings hugs for you

fudge
  • TurbogranTurbogran Posts: 1,885
    Hi Sky
    I have OA i spine and knee and I am also prone to urinary infections and take a regular lowdose antibiotic (cefalexin)every night to reduce the amount of infections but I have not found the pain any different. As fdge says it might be worth asking your dr as we are all different and react in different ways
    Take care
    Carol xx
  • tiggernuttiggernut Posts: 339
    If only!! I have had numerous antibiotics on and off since last May.
    Unfortunately I have not found any benefit. In fact generally penicillin based antibiotics really upset my tummy and give me bad headaches and joint pains and I usually have to stop taking them and get an alternative.
    Having said all that it's not beyond a possibility.
    Hope you continue to feel better.
    Anita.

Thanks for that link Kamelia it was very interesting.