It's not rocket science

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 16. Jun 2011, 16:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
Right I’ll try and stop my spleen from blowing up but I can’t guaranty it.
This morning there was some old duffer on TV justifying giving aid to India, apparently even though they own our steel industry now and LandRover cars to boot, and unlike us they have their own space program no wonder their so cash rich they keep the majority poor as church mice and due to them doing this were going to keep on paying up until 2015, now lets just look at the facts, India has a much bigger industry than we do and it is richer in many ways, you don’t see the rich here going to star studded do’s to bid millions for cricket players now do you?. and who remembers the poor kids from slumdog millionaire being thrown back into the slum where they had been lifted from while everyone else involved in the film did very nicely thank you.
Now I am one for stats and this duffer said most Indians live on less than $5 a week, OK I get it and don’t question it for one moment but what he didn’t tell you was that 85% of India’s wealth is held by just 800 people so somewhere there’s a slight bit of inequality going around, we should be telling them to sort their own system out rather than paying to support their governments total lack of interest in it’s own lot.

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well said Mell. It's about time we put our foot down.. We cannot afford to keep throwing money away to these charities, yes it's a wonderful thing to do, but not when you can't afford it. Nobody would blame us for putting ourselves first, at the very least till we are on an even keel. We can't even afford to keep libraries open these days... Our soldiers are being made redundant while out on tour, I mean.... In what universe other than the goodie goodie left wing one does it make sense to give away money you haven't got to strangers who's governments are much better off than ours..

Ridiculous
    :evil :evil
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Thanks mate I have had a lot of stick for thinking this way and from people I know or thought I knew, as far as I'm Concerned people seem to think that cutting things here and not looking after our own is a really good thing and I’m a racist sexist white mail bigot for complaining, if that’s how it is then there is nothing I can do, but I refuse to change my mind, this country is broke, pensions and services are going down and down yet people seem OK with it, bugger it, I was going to go on about the worlds population and how we are so wrong in blowing borrowed billions to just create more and more people without talking about birth control, that apparently is a “racist ” and or a “sexists” view in many peoples eyes.
    Nope I give up with you lot, you can have it, if your happy with cramming the world with more and more people then your more stupid than I can ever imagine, all I will say when the ecosystem collapse in on us (and it will) don’t bloody complain.
    I don’t know Tony I’m completely confused by it all.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    That is it Mell. The rich of India are rich by keeping the poor on very low wages. They probably don't have a very high rate of tax so keep most of the wealth for themselves and let other governments pay their welfare bill.

I have seen programmes about child labour and slave labour in India. It is like Victorian England.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Having been to India, having parents, a brother and a hubby who were born there, I can honestly say I AGREE WITH YOU. The rich in India are almost obscenely rich, they own the government and the police and do exactly what they like. The poor are just like Slumdog Millionnaire - my god, that film was so accurate, it was scary.

And to the person who mentioned taxes - TAXES? Don't make me larf.

I don't think anyone should give any money to charities for India - it all goes to the government and the people who need it never see it.

Nxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Well said Nina hun. Thing is, it doesn't just apply to India, the same applies to almost all the places that we are sending charity to. Almost all of these places could self sustain if led correctly.

I'm too tired to rant tonight, lol..

Mell, fear not Rkid, you ain't alone, there are still a few of us left with common sense.. If that's classed as any kind of ism then balls to em. :shock: :roll:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Hi Tone

I know it probably does apply to other poor countries other than India, but I can only speak with authority about India.

I'm a member of the Asian Fire Service Association and they raise funds for things like water wells then commission members to go out there with the money and actually build the wells. I don't know about you, but I don't mind paying for a couple of people's airfare and accomodation for a few days if I know exactly where my contribution is going.

Far more effective.

Nxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Same here. As long as I know where it's going, that's good with me. I'm getting fed up of these bloody clothes bags being put through the letter box, we must get at least one per week, gonna put a notice up to stop it.. I know that the odd one may be genuine but it's more likely some scam by the Albanian Maffia, (for legal reasons I have to state that there are other Maffias available too :shock: ) collecting for their car boot sale or second hand shops... They've even caught thieving little shifts inside the clothes bins :eek: :eek: :shock:
    Now I only take things directly to the shops, that way I know where the stuff has gone.

e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP