mackerel recipe ideas please.

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 21. Jun 2011, 15:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
I usually eat smoked mackerel but for some reason asked the OH to get me some fresh.
So now what to do with it? And what to cook with it as I'm not keen on salad? Any ideas before tea time would be greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    lemon, garlic and butter, wrap in foil and bake or bbq, new potatoes and corn on the cob or asparagus or any veg
  • tkachev
    Options
    I have lemon and garlic Coco. Just a few slices and a few bits of cut or crushed garlic okay?
    Does sound lovely ubt might have rice with it instead of spuds.

Cheers
    E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I posted on here this morning but it's gone off into cyber space?,right lets go again, try Hugh Fearnly whittingstall river cottage web site he's done a few things with this type of fish.
  • coco67
    Options
    chopped or crushed garlic is fine, add as much or as little as you like, i normally make it quiet strong as mackrel is a strong fish and can handle strong flavours with it( i normally add mine to the butter then spread over the fish, adding sliced lemon on top.if its a dry fish then a tiny bit of olive oil but most dont need it) i wrap them individually loosely in foil so they steam and cook in the sauce, place them top shelf in a hot oven o 2 (or on bbq) and cook for about 20 mins, (could be a little longer depending on oven) i normally check them after 15 mins,

chilli or other spices can be used instead of garlic if prefered.

rice will be lovely with it, good luck i hope you enjoy

you could if preferd put the butter, garlic inside the fish and the lemon on top if wanted also,
  • tkachev
    Options
    Sounds good doesn't it Rehab? I shall be cooking mine tonight as shelf life is very short.
    Thanks Mell. I will take a look at his site when I get time. Thats a good suggestion.

Eliabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    dont like mackerel or any fish but after reading this thread i wish i did.

Enjoy Elizabeth.

Juliepf x
  • tkachev
    Options
    That was lovely and comes highly recommended.
    I cooked it for about 40 mins though.
    Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • coco67
    Options
    im glad you enjoyed it, you can do this with chicken breasts also, just slice in half and open out so not to thick for cooking through.
    im surprised at the 40 mins but then it depends on the size of fish and your oven, mine gets so hot its ridiculous,

question is would you cook it again,
  • tkachev
    Options
    Yes I would cook it again. This time I'd make more garlic butter as it was lovely with the rice. Mine was overwhelmingly lemon flavour.

I cooked it for 40 mins because I am paranoid about undercooked food as my immune system is weak due to the meds.I kept checking it and waited until the fish looked dry.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It takes between five to twenty minutes to cook fish, depending on the method used. Over-cooking is the classic error that people make, fish is not the same as pork, chicken etc. When I am poaching salmon fillets I turn on the heat as the potatoes come to the boil, bring them to a gentle simmer, then turn off the heat. By the time the potates are done the salmon is perfect. To check that the fish is cooked all the way through just part the flesh with a fork, the colour should be even all the way through. If the centre is a little darker then give the fish another couple of minutes, that's all.

I am glad you enjoyed it, I grill fresh mackerel, I slit the skin then add white wine vinegar to the flesh, it cuts through the oil and enhances the flavour. I loathe butter on anything, the result of a diary-free childhood! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    Options
    DD I was violently sick after eating scallops twice so I am so paranoid! It did look a bit slimey at 20 mins and then I thought a few more mins won't hurt. Yes very dry fish is horrible but I must say this was nice and moist. I think my fan oven is a bit cool to be honest as I have to cook everything longer than stated!

I like white vinegar. I can give that a try next time. I don't like to grill, terrible mess.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Shell fish isn't quite like fish, if you see what I mean! :smile: Mackerel is very oily which is why it so good for you - and it was white wine vinegar - red wine vinegar works too, as do the other variations on that. Not sure about balsamic tho. Never tried it. Now there's an idea . . . . .
  • tkachev
    Options
    whoops yes white wine vinegar. we are well stocked with lovely ingredients I just find it so much easier to ask for other peoples ideas(saves trawling through a cookery book). Now would cider vinegar be another option? I did think of balsamic/worcester sauce too.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    There's only one way to find out! :smile: Grilled fresh mackerel is lovely, medium grill, about 10 minutes per side and check the colour is even all the way through every now and again. DD
  • tkachev
    Options
    Much as i'd like to take the credit for it it was Coco's recipe!

Big thanks to Coco,

Eliabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • coco67
    Options
    :grin: im just glad you both enjoyed it :grin: