MTX and Face Rash

Options
alarkra
alarkra Member Posts: 213
edited 18. Jun 2011, 04:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello!

I do hope that you are all muddling along as best as you can at the moment. :P

I have a question. Over the past couple of weeks I've had a rash on my face which really stings. I am trying to work out what the trigger may be - could it be fruit (just started eating bananas again after a long while of having such a stiff jaw I couldn't open it wide enough to eat it! I know, so ridiculous!) so was wondering if it could be reintroducing that. Or, even though I've been taking MTX in various forms for nearly a year (injecting for 4 months now), maybe it's a reaction to that? Has anyone else suffered face rashes as a side effect to MTX? It doesn't look that red to most people, it's more the bumps on my face and the stinging that's bothering me. I wear spf 15 every day as I have really fair skin so always look after it, so it's not my face cream. Suggestions anyone?

I'm seeing the doc later next week, but wanted to ask your lovely lot beforehand to see if it's me going crazy or there actually is a connection. :wink:

Comments

• madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    alarkra,
    I have been on MTX for 4 years now and i have never had a rash from it.
    I do get a rash if i go too near my cat her fur is fine on my hand but if i touch my face it really stings and itches.... Dog fur is fine for me as it most other cat fur it is just very fine fur that is a problem

Hope the doctor sorts it out for you

Tracey
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi

I have been on mtx for a long time (years) and not had a rash.

I do get red quickly if i sit in the sun nowadays but it isn't a rash.

I hope you can find out what is causing your rash and it clears up soon.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • cat75
    cat75 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    hi, i've just read the info leaflet for my methotrexate tabs and it does say a rash is a possible side effect, i would give your doctor a call or your rheumy nurse and see what they advise. hope all goes well.

catherine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This sounds like the classic meth sun rash. SPF15 is not enough, you need at least factor 30, 50 is even better. I use my usual facial moisturiser then, if I am going out, it's Simple Factor 50 over my mush and any exposed skin. To get rid of it now I suggest using Piriton (or summat similar) but check with your pharmacist first. You may also consider the option of stopping the meth for a week to help it die down. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben