Steroid injection v's tablets ... what are the pros & cons

Options
Ria
Ria Member Posts: 28
edited 18. Jun 2011, 15:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning all hope you're having a lovely weekend so far? (raining here!!)

I was wondering about the benefits of having steroids injected rather thn orally? is it just the side effects ...... can anyone help?

Would appreciate all your comments :smile:
Ria x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Injected steroids never achieved much for me, but the oral steroids are the only med of the ones I take which cause a noticeable improvement in matters. I am now weaning myself off them, because after over five years of taking them even I have become concerned about my future 'health'. I know it is going to be rubbish no matter what so having less rubbish to deal with can only be a good thing.

Steroids are effective at reducing inflammation as they thin tissue. They do not, however, discriminate between healthy tissue that doesn't need thinning and the thick stuff that does. This is why I am stopping them, and devoting a year or more to doing so. Injected steroids are usually (at my hospital anyway) given at no less than three month intervals. Whether the long-term health implications for them are different to the pred version I do not know. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi , I'm the opposite of DD..

I tried oral steroids and found that they wore off quite quickly..My mouth was a lot more dryer..The injection seems to work more effectively for me and lasts longer as it is a slow release, but everyone is different, maybe speak to doc and see what they recommend, you may be able to try both and see what works best for you..
    Wish you well..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • Ria
    Ria Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks guys,

I found with the oral ones I couldn't retain water at night and was getting up for a wee at least 6 times, which when you're stiff and in pain is annoying to say the least. A couple of times I thought " **** it, i'm gonna wet the bed like i'm 3 yars old again haha!!" :grin: However, the injection i had a fortnight ago is just kicking in I think, and i'm starting to get relief.

It's good to ask you lot as between you, you have lots of experience
    Ria x
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Ria,

I find steriod injections very good.
    I have had systemic ones and individual joint ones (before all my replacements) and I found both work very well. Plus the side effects are much less.
    I take oral steriods now and and find unless I take a real high dose like 40mg (which isn't often) it doesn't do much for me. I take 7mg a day only because I can't take high dose MTX but I would like to be off them as DD said long term they are not good for your health.
    Anita.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Hi Ria

l have tried both and found the oral ones more effective for me.....they do reduce inflamation l have heard....and the immune sytem?? l think....

the jabs seem to have little or no effect on me.

I think the difference is the jabs SHOULD go to the place you want the steroid and the oral will effect all of you....

So very glad you are feeling better now

Love

Toni xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, the idea is that the injected steroids give less side effets than the oral ones. Trouble is the oral ones are more effective for most of us.

Its a case of trial and error to see which one is more effective and has the least amount of side effects for you.