Can you keep a secret?

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 20. Jun 2011, 06:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
I’ve a fair bit of stuff coming up which will require the use of two knees. I currently have one and a bit. I’ve tried coaxing the other bits into use with rest and exercise but they’re not playing ball. I kind of recognise the symptoms. The aged TKR has skidded off course. It’s probably terminal.

Now, if the lovely Mr SW gets wind of this it’ll be the old ‘wheelchair or not’ marital. I am not doing the wheelchair next Thursday evening although a fair bit of walking and possibly the odd step will feature. I’m equally not doing it Friday morning for the ENT guy who will hopefully tell me why I became acquainted with resuss last October and how I can avoid it in future.

I’m currently strapping on the support when I need to walk (ie supermarket) & trying not to think about what he makes of the strange noises emanating from the loo as I later hack off the 3 velchro straps with the aid of my long handled shoe horn. I’ve long been a master/mistress of the slight cough which makes the unavoidable grunt of pain on rising from the armchair seem like a preliminary throat clearing. (Then the minute or two’s utter fascination with something (not) going on out of the window or some boring TV prog I’ve ignored up to now – all of which enables me to find the correct line-up of joints so that walking is possible.)

I’ve got to keep all this up until Friday lunchtime at least. After that I can start to think about the next week’s 3-4 day trip to our son’s and the resulting bed dilemma – downstairs sofa bed, lethal to even decent knees, or up the hardest stairs possible (deep tread and bending round corner so some have only a tiny diagonal bit to put the foot on).

No answers required or even possible. Just wanted someone on board.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    With you all the way, Sticky. I too am mistress of the slight dry cough, the fascination trick (obviously with my back turned to Mr DD so he cannot see the slight eye leakage that often occurs as I marvel at nature thro the window) and I completely understand your need to keep all this hush-hush. Just don't be too much of a stubborn thing and cause yourself further damage, that is all I ask. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Sticky,

:lol::lol: You been copying my notes again :shock: I could have written all of that except the stairs bit because when I visit my youngest son's I go between toilet breaks because his stairs are too steep for my knees to even think about :roll:

As you say there are no answers but rest assured your secret's safe with us. :wink:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    My goodness you ladies are strong! I'm afraid I say if it hurts but always with a smile on my face.

I do hope they have a banister on these steep stairs, something to cling onto for dear life. My brother lives in a cottage and has a rope to haul yourself up. But there is a small break between bottom of the stairs and the rope so I have to shoved like a cow up the first bit. I wouldn't let it stop me visited my lovely family though.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • remixmum
    remixmum Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Hey Sticky

I will keep your secret, but you have to be careful, we dont want you to become Stumblywicket.

Dont forget that I am the master of the "Do it now and Arthur can get me later" school. :grin:
    Geri XXX
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Why dont you try going on all four up the stairs if their steep. That's what I did before my op, it's a lot easier that way.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    DD & Legs – why does it not surprise me one bit that we’re all singing from the same hymn sheet?

DD - I cherish your advice not to be too stubborn and cause further damage. The words ‘pot’ & ‘kettle’ spring to mind.

Legs – I’d dearly love to visit my son ‘between toilet breaks’. 3 days is just a tad beyond my bladder capacity – even before we start warming up the bottle opener.

Elizabeth – strong or stupid? Your choice. I can’t always reach banisters safely so cling onto MR SW instead. I’m always nice to him before we start though.

Remixmum – My Mum always wanted me to be careful. If I’d taken her advice every joint would have seized up due to inactivity years ago. If they’re going to seize up anyway we might as well get the most out of them now – then get another.

Constable – That’s a great plan which I used to good effect about 30 years ago. Unfortunately, RA has now invaded every joint I possess. I couldn’t even get down on all fours and, if I could, it’d be pointless as, even if I could push up far enough with my good knee, my hands & arms wouldn’t be able hang on to anything to stop me wobbling right off the edge of the step. I’m sure the family’d thoroughly enjoy it though so I won’t mention it to them!
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Hi Sticky

l squeak...and sometimes l do a really really stupid sound like skippy the bush kangaroo(in the most dire situations) :oops:

Bless you am with you all the way too and will heave you up those stairs no problem

Love

toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Dont worry sticky we will be right behind you pushing you up them stairs

And will borrow a helter skelter rug to get you back down.

And sticky.....mums the word

Juliepf x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi SW
    I love Julies idea, the helter skelter rug, I might give that a go.. :lol: I will be with you all the way..I wont be much use :lol: but there you go...
    Wishing you good luck with it all....if anyone can do it its you...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Frogmorton – I have amazingly forgotten what Skippy sounded like but, given that you squeak and I have a sort of bass/baritone paingrunt, if DD & Legs can take tenor between them we have the makings of an interesting choir/cat’s chorus.

Julie – a helter skelter rug, eh? My sons would thoroughly approve of you.

Barbaranone of us are much use. Life’s more unpredictable and more fun this way. We just muddle along helping each other in the most hindering way. Grab a rug.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    well you expect us not to tell on you what is it worth at least a giant chocolate cake in the cafe then we will stay mum for you.
    i know it hard but be carefull not to fall will be there to catch you if need be have great trip val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sticky,

Will keep your secrete flowr and well i am a full paid up member of the covering the grunt of pain with anything really.....
    Also a fully paid up member of the go down fighting school :wink:

Leaving you a ((((( ))))) and shall miss you from the roof for your trip..... I bed dilemma is sortable by the way? Cris xx
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Sticky,
    At least with all that said you still go to visit your son, that is an achievement in it's self.
    Maddie said she liked the sound of the helter skelter rug she wants to be the one that pushes(i think she has been spending too much time with Miss L Legs).
    I usually grit my teeth mind then i wonder why my jaw hurts more....
    i must try the looking at something in the distance/out of the window one not thought of that.
    i usually sit in the car with my feet outside just enjoying the fresh air, while building up to get out..

I hope you have a lovely time
    Tracey
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Collywobble – Mr SW is a bloke. Nuff said?

Valval – In a restaurant, in Monterey, we saw what my amazed son called ‘a high rise chocolate cake’. It’s yours.

Skezier – I’ll be back on the roof in no time. Probably easier than the stairs. What happened to the bungee rope?

Madwestie – Please thank Maddie for her offer to push the rug. I fear there may be a queue.
    Steven Wright