Waste of 2 and 1/2 hours!!

Options
katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 18. Jun 2011, 15:25 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi Folks,

Well what a waste of time!! We need some new windows and have just had one of the dreaded double glazing salesmen around. Hubby took call yesterday and was told that the visit would be no longer than an hour. By that time we were still hearing how wonderful the company was. Lots more blah blah blah. When we eventually got to the price (2 x bay windows, 2 x flat windows, front door and french windows) we were quoted £23000.00!!Large gulp and colour drained from my face!! But special price £13000.00 still feeling a bit squiffy. Thank you very much but no thankyou. Then salesman rang 'the office' and suddenly someone has made a mistake in measuring some windows, we could have their discount blah, blah blah but wouldn't give us a price so would need to stay here until boss rang him back blah, blah, blah. My Hubby is worse than me when it comes to this sort of thing and I really thought he was going to throw him out!! And other than grabbing by the lapels he as good as did!! But for all that Hubby was very polite and asked him to leave but the guy looked at us as if we had 3 heads!! Hubby even packed the demonstrator window for him just to get him out.

Now I know that the man was trying to make a living and that is fine but to think he could get away with all the bull he was spouting was ridiculous. I'm sure if we had the time and energy to sit there bargaining with this fella we'd have got the price down to maybe £5000 but my gripe is why do they feel they need to go through all the bull to get there. Give me your best price and if it ain't good enough just go!!!

I always get upset by things like this because I think of the 'little old lady' who lives down the street or the family who struggle to make ends meet who need to replace windows, if they aren't as 'savvy' as some of us they get ripped off. Also the fact that these window salesmen are also trying to sell credit- are they qualified to do that? He was most put out that we would like to pay cash!!

Does anyone else feel like this? Perhaps this is what is known as 'Rip off Britain' ? I don't know but what I do know is I won't be buying windows from that company that's for sure - I think we may be giving the local guy a call!!

Kate x

Comments

• kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kate

Big hugs for going through that - hope you find a more reputable company for your windows.

xx
    event.png
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    If the government really had the peoples best interest at heart then it would ban this kind of thing, my father in law fell prey to a guy selling home alarm systems he’s an ex builder and normally has a sharp mind but he’s getting old and not so quick these days he’s had two strokes so that’s probably why, anyway he’s not on the web so came to us in a bit of a panic and asked us to e mailed the company, we did and got the whole thing stopped, how can you charge an old person £14K and live with yourself beats me.
    My advice was if he was that worried get a dog, but these s*^s are parasites who’d rather mug you than do a days honest toil, same goes for the Kirby hover lot and those money lending adds on TV with interest rates of 4000% they should not be allowed to exist there should be legislation that stops it all but Governments don’t give two hoots about the old and vulnerable they see us all as a bunch of sheep only here to be fleeced.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Kate

It so gets me cross too. It has happened every time we have wanted something new. bathroom,kitchen,windows and last year a conservatory. They start off with the most rediculous price and it ends up a 1/3 of the price. And all the sales men stayed between 2-3 hours. At which point the blood has gone from my body and I am sliding to the floor.

Hope you get your windows sorted soon.
    Juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,487
    Options
    Oh Kate

that is dreadful :sad:

poor poor you....so glad you were not alone....this once happened to us with a woman trying to sell us a timeshare in tenerife...it was dreadful and so hard to get away from.

We are having a new porch door - internal and got a local bloke recommmended by a friend to do it.

Honestly mell that is awful your poor FIL...l am shaking my head l am so incensed u075.gif

love

Toni xx
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    Hi Kate
    Reading this i had a feeling de ja vue about a couple of months ago we had much the same thing wanted our windows replaced had salesman from so called reputable well known company. he was there for about one and a half hours waffleing on and on. by this time hubby and I had both indicated on more than one occasion that we wanted a written estimate not a verbal one and we needed drawings because we are only leaseholders of our flat and that the council being the freeholder needed drawings before we could go ahead. but not giving up he then asks if we want to see his sample window we but declined but he still insisted on showing us. Buy this time I had had enough and being the one that will speak her mind told him that hubby and I needed to discuss this on our own and that we would let him know as we also were awaiting estimates from 2 other companies. He went away having been with us for 1 and 3/4 hours, 2 days later we recieve his quote. the next day he rings up asks if we had made up our minds yet at which point i lost it and in no uncertain term to get lost {cannot use exact words I used on here} never heard from him since. Maybe the same company eh?
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    aww my poor old dad 87 years old falls for it all... thankfully not as bad, but he needed a hearing aid so sent off the advert in the sunday papers they then make the appointment come visit him.. i knew nothing of it.... eventually after quoting my dad i believe between 2-3 grand!!!! my dad told him where to go!! but im sure he was nearly tempted, they get lonely and having anyone come into their home is worth all of that...
    my neighbours are elderly, someone a company i dont know theur name, cold called on them to sell them fascia boarding... £750 later... it hid the overflo pipe in the loft so didnt see the water leak for weeks and theyre no a meter, they didnt need this boarding, theyre in the middle of the terrace so makes their home look really odd

glad you were both strong enough to tell them to sling their hook! lol
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png