Knee pain

Options
tiggernut
tiggernut Member Posts: 339
edited 19. Jul 2011, 05:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having said in a previous post I haven't had any problems with my TKR, I am now going to ask does anyone have any ideas? I have had my TKR for 12 years and it's been great but for the past 4 days I have had the most excruciating sharp knife twisting pain in my knee. It's murder when I get up from the chair or indeed move at all, and is just hurting when I'm sitting still.
It seems to be just above the knee cap. I had my 2 yearly check up last month and all was well

Thanks Anita.

Comments

• liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Anita
    i have pain there and the side of my knee inside and outside areas, the pain can be excrutiating, had it on the inside of my leg ever since having the TKR but the pain that tends to stay in one area just to the left side , no one can tell me why i have this, they have examined me at times and ive hit the ceiling have tried the ice pack and alternate with heat and painkillers as per usual.. cant say it works very well but u so have my sympathy... this doesnt really make a lot of sense but maybe u get it as ur suffering he same pain?
    **hugs**
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • tiggernut
    Options
    liesa wrote:
    Hi Anita
    i have pain there and the side of my knee inside and outside areas, the pain can be excrutiating, had it on the inside of my leg ever since having the TKR but the pain that tends to stay in one area just to the left side , no one can tell me why i have this, they have examined me at times and ive hit the ceiling have tried the ice pack and alternate with heat and painkillers as per usual.. cant say it works very well but u so have my sympathy... this doesnt really make a lot of sense but maybe u get it as ur suffering he same pain?
    **hugs**

Hi Liesa,
    Yes I do get it thanks. I did wonder about going to the Doctor but maybe I won't bother now!! Just hope it calms down soooooooooooon.
    It is quite hot at the moment, trouble is I already take 100mg voltarol, Prednisalone, Tramadol and Co-Dyramol. I'm going to try some Bio-Freeze see if that helps!!
    Anita.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    How’s it today then Tiggernut? I’ve only experienced TKR knee pain when they’ve got clapped out, certainly not after 12 years, though many do. I’ve also never had it above the joint. Personally I’d see the doc. They usually have a fair idea of what the problem might be. If it’s inflamed, maybe some heat or ice would help. If it’s muscular, some physio. Failing that maybe an x-ray to see what’s happening. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi tiggernut

I can't help you I just wanted to say I hope your knee is much better today.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • liesa
    Options
    Hi Anita
    maybe u should talk with the Dr or consultant about it? when my lower leg and shin go bright red and hot the Dr says its cellulitis (had many years ago which put me in hospital for 2 days then 12 days of further antibiotic jabs... and blackslab on my hand wrist, all for a rose thorn prick that poisoned my blood...
    now its usually down the front of my shin, get it looked at xxx

hope your leg is feeling better today, i've had very little leg pain today.... all the grandkids here... noisy and fun...lol xx
    love and hugs
  • tiggernut
    Options
    How’s it today then Tiggernut? I’ve only experienced TKR knee pain when they’ve got clapped out, certainly not after 12 years, though many do. I’ve also never had it above the joint. Personally I’d see the doc. They usually have a fair idea of what the problem might be. If it’s inflamed, maybe some heat or ice would help. If it’s muscular, some physio. Failing that maybe an x-ray to see what’s happening. Good luck!

Just as bad I'm afraid, been taking Co-Dydramol and Tramadol all day barely takes the edge off. I think you are right I will have to see the Doctor. I was hoping it would go away on it's own!!
    I'm not sure it's the actual joint! Then again what do I know lol!

Hi tiggernut

I can't help you I just wanted to say I hope your knee is much better today.
    Take care
    Juliepf x

Thanks julie.
    Hi Anita
    maybe u should talk with the Dr or consultant about it? when my lower leg and shin go bright red and hot the Dr says its cellulitis (had many years ago which put me in hospital for 2 days then 12 days of further antibiotic jabs... and blackslab on my hand wrist, all for a rose thorn prick that poisoned my blood...
    now its usually down the front of my shin, get it looked at xxx

hope your leg is feeling better today, i've had very little leg pain today.... all the grandkids here... noisy and fun...lol xx

Gosh how would have thought all that from a rose thorn. You just never know!!
  • liesa
    Options
    and that tiny little prick i especially weny inside to wash my hands even tho i was gardening, there was just something i felt wasnt right, it was tiny, this was on the friday, had bank holiday on the monday and it was swelling by thie time so headed off to see the Dr tuesday who gave me penicillin and gave me warnings to watch out for, 2 days later i had the redness going up my arm.. wasnt bad, but went to the hospital had a canular put in my hand and kept in hospital for 2 days... it really is a nasty germ/illness, had to sleep with my arm hoisted up to a drip stand for those 2 days, then the backslab to keep my fingers bent and down to the elbow, pretty serious stuff, funny thing is when we were kids my mums neighbour used to break the thorns off the roses and stick on our noses lol like a rhinocerous the dirt and germs we picked up in the good old days lol
    love and hugs
  • tiggernut
    Options
    liesa wrote:
    and that tiny little prick i especially weny inside to wash my hands even tho i was gardening, there was just something i felt wasnt right, it was tiny, this was on the friday, had bank holiday on the monday and it was swelling by thie time so headed off to see the Dr tuesday who gave me penicillin and gave me warnings to watch out for, 2 days later i had the redness going up my arm.. wasnt bad, but went to the hospital had a canular put in my hand and kept in hospital for 2 days... it really is a nasty germ/illness, had to sleep with my arm hoisted up to a drip stand for those 2 days, then the backslab to keep my fingers bent and down to the elbow, pretty serious stuff, funny thing is when we were kids my mums neighbour used to break the thorns off the roses and stick on our noses lol like a rhinocerous the dirt and germs we picked up in the good old days lol

Funny enough my husband and I were just saying this the other day about how you need a bit of muck and dirt when you're a kid to help build your imune system. Having said all that the drugs we are on just mess it up anyway, but that's not the point lol!
    I know all about infections I had one in my new elbow joint last year I spent a total of 8 weeks on and off in hospital with exposed metal work and bone it was a nightmare. For four weeks I was attached to a vac pump which sucked all the muck out and re generated new healthy tissue. I also had a back slab to keep my arm straight.The worst part is it's my right elbow and I am right handed.
    In the end I had to have a skin graft to close the wound as I didn't have enough skin.I had to have a pic line put in my arm to have IV antibiotics for 4 months. That got infected so they had to take it out and put another one in my other arm. Before that for the first week I had a canular well several actually as I have terrible veins they used childrens ones and of course they were not really man enough so after two sometimes only one dose they would collapse.
    I just tried to register at my Doctors for making on-line appointmets, didn't have much luck I never got the confirmation email which I need to continue to actually make the appointment. I guess someone actually answers it I assumed in this day and age it would be automatic.
    Looks like I'm getting up early to sit on the phone for half an hour in the morning.
    Night night.
    Anita x
  • tiggernut
    Options
    Just wasted an hour of my life at the Doctors! With regards the knee he said don't think it's any sort of infection, rest it for a week and double your pain killers!! which means taking Co-Dydramol and Tramadol together!!
    If it gets worse or is no better in a week I'm to go back, but why would I bother whats the bloody point!
    Anita :roll: :roll:
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    tiggernut wrote:
    Just wasted an hour of my life at the Doctors! With regards the knee he said don't think it's any sort of infection, rest it for a week and double your pain killers!! which means taking Co-Dydramol and Tramadol together!!
    If it gets worse or is no better in a week I'm to go back, but why would I bother whats the bloody point!

Hi Anita
    Just picked up your thread.So sorry things aren't great for you at the moment.Really hope things soon get sorted and you are soon on the mend.
    Please keep us posted.Will think of you.
    Ron xx
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • liesa
    Options
    tiggernut wrote:

aww you dont have it easy do you... just read bout you elbow... nasty...

and now the drs.... guess your just gonna have to try what the doc advises, never taken co-dydramol and tramadol together, hope they help you Anita xx
    love and hugs
  • tiggernut
    Options
    I've been on holiday so been offline!
    Well my knee still hurts!! A couple of days before I went away I was hanging some curtains as as I stepped down off the ladder I went good leg first and as I put my other leg down the pain in my knee was incredible!!
    I could barely walk or drive so I went to casualty as I thought at least they will xray it.
    They did and the consultant said the joint was still as it should be and the bone was okay and I had injured my ligaments. The treatment was yep.... rest and drugs lol.
    You gotta laugh or you'll cry!
    Anita.