I've skimmed through it but being a vegetarian a lot didnt apply

love
Hileena

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've read it but it didn't have any new information for me . I've dealt with my RA for over 30 years now , and by simple trial and error , have found the food items to avoid . I don't have citrus fruits , raw tomato ( cooked is ok in moderation ) , dairy foods of any kind , potatoes ,aubergines or any form of alcohol . However ; that's just what works for me and , as always with this temperamental swine of an illness ~ what works for me won't necessarily work for someone else . We are all very different and many people find their diet has no effect at all on their arthritis . Jillyb
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Lynn,

As with hileena a lot of it doesn't apply....

I am also a sceptic cus I have tried not eating so many things and eating so many others all to no avail but let s know how you get on please?

do control the crohns with food quite well but the bones.... well i am not a vegan ( Hileena I admire you for that one) but I don't eat meat or fish so things get a bit restricted....

In short some of my best friends have made it to a table....... :wink:

Be interesting though. Love Cris who is off for some mega payback.... xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi lynn

I am not familiar with this book but did have an arthritis cook book

My grandma gave me it, It was years old. It was of no use to me though as all recipes were for mainly fish. Don't like fish :roll:

I hope if you get the book you are talking about it is of some use to you.
    What doesn't suit others could very well suit you.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Cris
    Sorry......shouldnt use abbreviations....I'm a vegetarian....not a vegan.....never could do vegan :???: Dont know how people do it.
    Like you....dont eat meat and dont eat fish.....if it has a face dont eat it :lol::lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I checked it out on that big book site where you can look inside and, on the surface at least, it seems balanced. I’ll be interested to see what you make of it.

I tried the Dr Colin Dong diet, which it mentions, years ago (twice) when I was a young Mum still miracle-searching. On this one you basically forget about eating apart from fresh fish and veg and wholemeal bread & rice. On each occasion I lost about a stone (although I didn’t need to at the time) but the arthritis got worse mainly, I suspect, because my diet was so unbalanced. I just didn’t have time or energy to cook one meal for me and one for the others (and no way were they going to eat the stuff in the book) so my own diet was even more restricted than the good doctor suggested. I concluded that what I really needed was a wife – someone who’d cook, clean & look after the kids for me while I experimented with my diet.

But, after the second abandoned attempt, I found I really couldn’t stomach meat any more so, after a while, I stopped eating it. At that point my RA did seem to improve. I’ve never had the least desire to go back to meat eating though I have tackled it on occasions eg a wedding last week with no choice of food. I still don’t like it. The sweetness always takes me by surprise/shock.

The main reason why I’d need something approximating to proof of success before I’d try the diet route again is because I already have to be careful with a lot of foods now due to years of anti-inflammatories before they twigged you needed to take them with food and a stomach protector. I still think diet probably can play a part in making arthritis better and/or worse though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Lynn

Not heard of this book but will be interested to know what you think of it. Bit miffed though that I seem to have missed out on the "cure your arthritis with chip butties" diet :lol:. Now THAT sounds worth trying (and since the weekly fish and chip van has just parked up at the top of our street, I think now might be a good time to start! :lol:).

Love Tilly xxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi It's not something I've heard of, but I don't go in for things like that. If its got a lot of fish in it, thats the end for me, I can't even bare the smell of fish. I've tried and tried but It's no good so I take fish oil tablets. I know my colesterol is low as the doc did it a couple of months ago.
    I love fruit and vegatables though and eat them all the time. I think we are all different, I get miagrane and I know that some things like, too much chocolate in the evening will mean I wake in the night with a headache and spicey things too. Also too much cheese. I'm afraid it dosent stop me though! :sad: So, its possible that some things cause arthritis to flare up, but whether its the same foods for everyone, well its not going to hurt you to try it and it may work, which would be great! Good luck! Love Sue
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Do you not find its always the nice foods {or nice to you anyway} that cause the problems.....me I'm a chocoholic :lol: and boy can I put the weight on!!!! Whycant things like lettuce and things like that be bad for us :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Having lived on a very restricted diet as a child, teenager and young adult, I have no desire to do so again. I think how we react as individuals to certain foods can play a part, as can the mental input - the 'I am not eating dust, which I think is a trigger for stuff, so I am feeling better' kinda thoughts. I spent months eating natural anti-inflammatory foods in 2000, on the recommendation of a homeopath (see how desperate I was for help of any sort?) and just watched my left knee get bigger and bigger and bigger . . . . . .

One of the great joys of the immuno suppressing drugs has been the short lived discovery of fruit. It was a complete no-no when I was a child etc but, ye gods, that stuff varies so widely, give me a good old Mars bar any day of the week. At least when you undo that you know what you are going to get. I adore fish, I eat some every day with a salad for my lunch, I prefer white meat to red, what does appear to make things worse for me is vinegar, so the pickles and sauces have been ditched. I should also ditch the wine but that is a major step too far. I'm ditching the steroids, let's kick one support away at a time, yes? Needless to say, anything that you need to exclude from your diet will be a particularly favourite food. It always is.

Good luck, collywobble, I hope you find it helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben