Mthx and entrecapet and surgery

Options
lorraines
lorraines Member Posts: 77
edited 21. Jun 2011, 03:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondering if anyone could answer a query regarding the above meds, I inject myself twice a week for PA ,I know I would have to stop the methx 3 weks before surgery but would I have to stop both and for how long ? arthur is quite well contolled would it come back with a vengance? . answers on a postcard :lol:

Comments

• tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Who told you to stop the MTX? When I had my surgery I was told not to stops the MTX regardless of what anyone else tells me!! (not that I was going to anyway)
    The only drug I had to stop was my HRT.
    Sorry can't help with the other drug.
    Good luck,
    Anita.
  • lorraines
    lorraines Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Thanx very much for that I was told by surgeon but will look further in to that unless anyone else would know
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Lorraines, I've taken MTX for about 10 years. I had a THR about 7 years ago and my surgeon wanted me off the MTX for about 8 weeks beforehand. I was surprised how slowly I noticed the lack of it but I was literally in a wheelchair at all times then so doing alost zilch anyway.

2 years ago I had one of my TKRs replaced. Same surgeon. He said they'd now decided it didn't really make any difference so I'd only to miss the dose immediately before my op.

I've heard different things from different people since. I think it just depends on your surgeon -or maybe what other meds you take with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Lorraines

I had my leg amputated 6 yrss ago and I didn't stop taking my methotrexate (tab) at all, but I will be having surgery soon on my neck and this surgeon told me to stop taking it the week before surgery.

Confusing isn't it

Take care and good luck with your op,
    Juliepf
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If the advice is to stop the meth then yes, the same would apply to the etanercept (enbrel, I presume that's the med you meant?) Both enbrel and meth suppress the immune system, so the thinking is to stop it, boost the immune system and then you stand a better chance of coming our of hospital infection-free (although they do do their level best to give you extra stuff with which to deal, like some kind of bizarre Brucie Bonus). My hospital is firmly of the opinion to stop these meds when ill, before surgery, or in any doubt over anything. Makes sense to me. The arthritis may well bite back, but not that quickly: these drugs hang around in your system for quite a while. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben