Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

newly diagnosed

suedonogsuedonog Posts: 10
edited 24. Jun 2011, 09:42 in Say Hello Archive
Hi
I have recently been diagnosed with fibromialgya and psoratic arthritis.
Its taken 5 years and a lot of pain. Anyone out there with similar symptoms? sue

Comments

  • traluvietraluvie Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sue..

    Welcome from me..
    Unfortunately i am not familiar with Pa or fibro, but i know many other people on here are..
    I am sure someone will be along soon who can empathise with you..
    Look forward to seeing you around..
    Tracy
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • suedonogsuedonog Posts: 10
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    traluvie wrote:
    Hi Sue..

    Welcome from me..
    Unfortunately i am not familiar with Pa or fibro, but i know many other people on here are..
    I am sure someone will be along soon who can empathise with you..
    Look forward to seeing you around..
    Tracy

    Thanks for your kind reply
    wishing you well
    sue
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you. I have PA and discovered in April that I have significant OA damage in my knees. My PA was ignored for five years as I did not start it in the classic way, it was then classed as an inflammatory arthritis for a few years then re-classed as PA nine years after it started. Pain? I'm in my fifteenth year of pain and I must admit I am used to it now, it doesn't really bother me although the OA pain is a different type to the PA, and that does bother me! I'll adjust tho. What meds have you been given? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suedonogsuedonog Posts: 10
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, it's nice to meet you. I have PA and discovered in April that I have significant OA damage in my knees. My PA was ignored for five years as I did not start it in the classic way, it was then classed as an inflammatory arthritis for a few years then re-classed as PA nine years after it started. Pain? I'm in my fifteenth year of pain and I must admit I am used to it now, it doesn't really bother me although the OA pain is a different type to the PA, and that does bother me! I'll adjust tho. What meds have you been given? DD

    Hi DD
    Thanks for sharing I have been prescribed Tramadol ,Amitriptyline and they surgeon is looking at possible AVN in left knee.
    I have other auto immune diseases too i think they are linked.
    I am in a wheelchair and am hoping to have surgery at a later date.
    The fibro has been present for 10 years and the rheumatolgist found it.
    I am in the medical loop now and feel emotionally better for being diagnosed.
    Are you on meds and how to you stay sane??
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ooooh, wossa AVN? I don't know that term!

    Meds wise I take humira (self-injected fortnightly), methotrexate (self-injected weekly), six sulphasalazine tablets per day, naproxen daily (anti inflammatory to help the OA), omeprazole (stomach protector for the naproxen), two kindsa BP tablets (BP raised thanks to the humira), oral steroids (currently 6mg, I am aiming to be off them by the end of this year), folic acid tablet weekly (to help with cell renewal which may be affected due to the meth) and alendronic acid (to try to prevent osteoporosis) weekly. I have recently started a short course of anti-depressants too: the shock of the OA diagnosis hit harder than I thought but I am feeling better about it all now. For pain relief I use cocodamol 30/500 for everday, 50mg tramadol at night if things are rough (it helps me sleep) and 100mg slow-release tramadol for the extreme times. I am on crutches, I have been since 2002, and can now only walk for about five minutes before a nice sit-down is required.

    How do I stay sane? Well, why would I go ga-ga? Other people have lovely lives health-wise but I never have and never will (thanks to the crappy genes my parents so thoughtfully passed onto me, both had the good fortune to be members of the generation that the auto-immune stuff missed, I copped the lot) so I know nothing different really. It is what it is and it will do what it will do. I guess nature/character wise I am one of life's Tiggers (with the occasional touch of Eyeore admittedly) but it's no one's fault that I have this dross with which to contend and it is up to me to make the best of things, which is what I try to do. My mother gave me the eczema and asthma but also mulish stubborness and determination, my dad gave me the rare bouts of psoriasis and thus the arthritis but also an excellent sense of humour (well, I think it's excellent - others on here might dispute that!)

    Ops wise I have had two open synovectomies on my left knee and one closed on my right. Neither stopped/helped the probelms, and I am now waiting to hear from orthopaedics about possible knee replacements, or at least some form of surgery. I hope that covers everything! If you post on LWA (the living with arthritis forum) you will receive more answers, not everyone looks in on here. I do tho, and often. I hope you are having a better day today. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suedonogsuedonog Posts: 10
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Ooooh, wossa AVN? I don't know that term!

    Meds wise I take humira (self-injected fortnightly), methotrexate (self-injected weekly), six sulphasalazine tablets per day, naproxen daily (anti inflammatory to help the OA), omeprazole (stomach protector for the naproxen), two kindsa BP tablets (BP raised thanks to the humira), oral steroids (currently 6mg, I am aiming to be off them by the end of this year), folic acid tablet weekly (to help with cell renewal which may be affected due to the meth) and alendronic acid (to try to prevent osteoporosis) weekly. I have recently started a short course of anti-depressants too: the shock of the OA diagnosis hit harder than I thought but I am feeling better about it all now. For pain relief I use cocodamol 30/500 for everday, 50mg tramadol at night if things are rough (it helps me sleep) and 100mg slow-release tramadol for the extreme times. I am on crutches, I have been since 2002, and can now only walk for about five minutes before a nice sit-down is required.

    How do I stay sane? Well, why would I go ga-ga? Other people have lovely lives health-wise but I never have and never will (thanks to the crappy genes my parents so thoughtfully passed onto me, both had the good fortune to be members of the generation that the auto-immune stuff missed, I copped the lot) so I know nothing different really. It is what it is and it will do what it will do. I guess nature/character wise I am one of life's Tiggers (with the occasional touch of Eyeore admittedly) but it's no one's fault that I have this dross with which to contend and it is up to me to make the best of things, which is what I try to do. My mother gave me the eczema and asthma but also mulish stubborness and determination, my dad gave me the rare bouts of psoriasis and thus the arthritis but also an excellent sense of humour (well, I think it's excellent - others on here might dispute that!)

    Ops wise I have had two open synovectomies on my left knee and one closed on my right. Neither stopped/helped the probelms, and I am now waiting to hear from orthopaedics about possible knee replacements, or at least some form of surgery. I hope that covers everything! If you post on LWA (the living with arthritis forum) you will receive more answers, not everyone looks in on here. I do tho, and often. I hope you are having a better day today. DD

    Hi DD,

    Your answer inspired me and I know I am not alone.
    I have been house bound for 8 years and even with wheelchair can only get in it on a better day.
    AVN is bone necrosis my left knee has collapsed and the surgeon is looking at bi-lateral knee replacment later this year.
    I manage to keep it together and my dreams can take me anywhere!!
    I am happy to stay in touch with you and look forward to our continuing discussions.
    Hope you have a good day.
    Blessings
    Sue
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thank you for the explanation of AVN, it's another thing I have learned. I too am waiting to hear from orthopaedics about possible surgery, I was supposed to be chasing that this week but I am feeling too ropey thanks to an infection.

    You can talk to more people if you post on the LWA forum, it is a more active forum than here, it's the place where meds and treatment and letting off steam occurs! Chitchat is more general, the other forums are self-explanatory. I hope to see your name here and there, but I will continue to look in on this one. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
Sign In or Register to comment.