The pain is taking over

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 24. Jun 2011, 11:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,

I know I haven't been posting much but I've been reading and lurking in the shadows.

I'm having a bad time with pain right now. I feels dramatic because it's not widespread (it affects my feet, ankles and wrists) but it's so intense. I have ankle surgery in 2 weeks and they'll inject the other foot with steroids at the other time but it feels forever away. I've made an appt with my GP on Friday. After a year and a half on co-codamol (30mg/500mg), I think I need something else. I'm worried about the side effects but I cannot go on like this. Standing hurts, walking is excrutiating and I can't get straighten my wrists. I have hand and wrist exercises to do but I can't even attempt them until my pain is under control.

I really need to get this out to people who understand what it's like.

I think I'm going to have a hot chocolate, watch the Apprentice and get an early night to catch some good quality zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Sophie xx

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sophie, really sorry to hear how rough things are hun. I hope that the GP can get some better pain meds sorted, I know for sure that there are quite a few available 'beyond' co-co's.. Maybe they'll find one that suits and fast.

Best of wishes, and you are certainly right about one thing... This is the place where we understand what you mean..

Be well...
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sophie
    You are so right about talking to people that understand, its awful when you cant control the pain,
    Hopefully your GP will be able to help, I am just in the middle of juggling my meds...one min they work the next they dont....but I do get there eventually.
    I really do wish you well with everything.
    And let us know how you are.
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    we are with you all the way when you get pain under control try doing hand exercises under warm water (some of them any way) it does help when mine playing up wash shelves at work just soaking them in warm water and wringing cloth out helps them they are much stronger than they were good luck you know where we are val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, I know what all of that is like. I have spent the past five years walking on broken shards of glass, which become broken shards of glass lightly coated in foam cushioning when the dullers are on board. It's tough. You sound as though you do need a stronger pain duller and the best person to advise on that is your GP as he knows your medical history and drug tolerances. Get to see him, and soon, you are right two weeks is a long way away when things are like this. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you for the support. I didn't see my usual GP and this one felt it would be better to wait to see my rheumy before prescribing anything stronger. He said if my disease isn't under control, then it's worth looking at other disease modifying drugs. I know I will probably need to go down this route but I feel something in the mean time is needed. I don't take 8 co-codamol a day, so if I'm desperate, I can take a few more than I usually do (which is 4 to 6). It's better than nothing I suppose. :cry:
  • grampyal
    grampyal Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi,
    In my experience few of the medics realise how bad the pain can be. They so merrily offer paracetamol or co- codamol which I have found to be little better than useless. I have spent the last two plus years walking round on a broken knee replacement and it was only shortly before the Revision that a Gp suggested using Tramadol plus two paracetamol together which was quite effective. I still use it for the pain following the revision, which is fortunately getting better all the time. Another thing I've found is that you must fight for yourself and don't be afraid of the NHS professionals after all it is we who pay their wages.
    Best of luck,
    Alun
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Starburst

l am so sorry you feel so awful - sounds pretty bad to me :???:

I am sorry the doc didn't suggest anything to keep you going, but maybe it is time for different DMARDs??

Hugs to you till you see the rheumy :sad:

((((()))))

Toni xx