Photosensitivity

Options
heather89
heather89 Member Posts: 10
edited 27. Jun 2011, 13:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,I'm wondering if anyone can help me? I have recently ( 3/4 weeks ago) started to take Sulfasalazine, and last weekend I suffered what appeared to be an allergic reaction to something. Obviously since it has just happened once it's difficult to say how it was triggered, but my GP did mention that sulfasalazine can increase photosensitivity, and I had been in bright sunshine ( a real rarity this "summer"!) the day before the rash, swelling etc started to appear. Has anyone else come across this, and if so, how do you manage it? e.g. high spf sun creams, covering up in the sun etc. I would be grateful for any advice offered, I've been pretty miserable skin wise for a few days, and would prefer to avoid this in future!
Thanks!
Keep calm, and keep smiling!

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome! :smile:
    Sorry I don't take your medication, so I don't know how it would effect me. :mrgreen: I do get a rash in the places that get hotest and most exposure to the sun, though.

It started a long time ago. I think mines heatrash rather than as well as the sun. High factor sun block and covering yourself with light cotton clothing. I've started being much more careful this year as my husband had a mole removed. Turned out just to be an ordinary mole, not skin cancer, but sitting in the waiting room with pictures of horrible things the sun does with the slogen 'Under a tree till after three' got me thinking!!! :wink:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am on injected meth as well as six tabs per day of sulph and my skin's reactions to the sun is a problem. I try to remember to put on a factor 50 on any exposed skin as the stinging rash is soooo not worth the hassle of not so doing. I have never been a sun bunny which is why I find it hard to remember! If you are currently troubled try taking some piriton or summat similar to help - check with your pharmacist about this. Calamine lotion can also ease matters. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Heather

I do not take that drug either but this question comes up time and again regarding sulpha and sunlight.

It is one of the side effects unfortunately and it is recommended that you use suncream SPF15 or higher when oudoors and avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight. Easier said than done, sometimes. :roll:

If you have a rash and it gets any worse or you are worried, it is best to see your gp or pharmacist to put your mind at rest.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi

I have heard of this before and recently had an allergic reaction to hair colour...so know how vile it is....

Personally l would go for the highest factor sunlotion there is! Supposed to be a nice weekend looming!

Better be pale than itchy :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • heather89
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your support! I'm just beginning to realise what this may mean, now that the weather has improved! SPF 50+, sunglasses, cover-ups etc, but better that than itchy, burning skin! I am due to travel to the USA in about 3 weeks time, leading a group of teenagers on an exchange trip, so I think that will certainly be a challenge!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Certainly covering helps, but I still sunscreen under the long sleeves etc, just to make sure. It's beautiful here today (East Anglia) so I am staying indoors. I don't need another blast of meth rash. It's vile. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • heather89
    Options
    Thanks DD, I will bear that in mind, I guess it's just a case of trial and error to find out what works, but always erring on the extra sensitive side! Going on an outdoor school trip tomorrow, so lots of sun cream going on, and coming with me!
  • kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    Options
    Enjoy the school trip :-)
    event.png
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    I've been on MTX for years which can make you photo sensitive, i'm also a whiter shade of pale :oops: so am careful. I wear sunscreen most of the time including non summer days and highly recommend trying one of the clear sun 'creams' they usually come in a spray and are easy to put on but have the advantage of not making your skin have that white tinge that sun cream can give and the oily feeling that some have
    I just find them a bit more everyday friendly. I wear factor 30 daily and higher when i'm on holiday. I also wear hats when its blistering as I have blonde hair and find I can burn on my head without them.
    once you get into a routine with it its fine but getting in the routine and remembering to start off with can be difficult.
    Chrissie
  • heather89
    Options
    Thanks Chrissie, that's very helpful!