NEURO SURGERY APP UPDATE

Options
julie47
julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
edited 26. Jun 2011, 08:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone and first of all can I thankyou all for being with me today.
You must all be shattered cause it has been on hell of a long day.
We set off at 8.15 this morning for a 9.30 app. Early cause of rush hour traffic and finding a space to park.
We came home at 3.30.

Well my consultation with my surgeon was really good....I was prepared today, with questions. (and I could hear you all prompting me)

The operation he has decided to do first are the discs c4 & c5. He will remove c4 and align c5 with the other discs with a screw. (or rod, cant quite remember) this will then fuse together eventually.
This op is the most important as this could cause me the most problems.
(I understood last time that this wasn't as important, must have had a closer look :lol: )

Anyway, I asked about restriction of neck....He said well you are already restricted so this op wont make too much difference :grin:
I tthink I will still be able to drive too for the time being :grin:
I may have to wear a colar with this op but NO halo :grin: he doesnt like using the halo unless absolutley needed. (hope I don't wake up with on on)

I then asked how long then before the odontoid peg op.
He said he would like me to completely recover 6month or more( phew)

The odontoid peg will be done through back of head and not through mouth as a patient I met this morning told me.
My peg has made my surgeons job easy for him as c1 has fused its self to the bottom of my skull. (did this on my own :grin::lol: ) So he will put a small plate at the bottom of c1 and a rod through to c3 (think I have that right)
I think he said that this will allow me to still look left and right as I do now. (I use my shoulders and only little head movement)
I think I am right in saying I may not need a halo for this procedure either.

So I actually came out of his consultation quite happy and not as frightened.

Then it was playing the waiting game of the pre opp assessment.
Questions, Bloods.Ecg,chest xray and doc app.
(good job we had the flask and goodies)

Well I think that sums it up.....Oh yes..when you may ask will this take place.....Well....he said 3 weeks :eek: :shock: :lol: He said I am marking this down as urgent. And If I havent heard within 3 wks I have to chase it up and really go to town. (I cant play pop with people :roll: but I will ask nicely where I am on the list) He told me to stress the urgency :shock:

So we will see eh? I will let you all know.

Thankyou for reading....a bit long winded I know.

Take care and THANKYOU ALL for the support and courage.

Love Juliepf x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Crying now. Don't do that often. I am so pleased to hear that it wasn't too bad after all - I bet you are now drowning in parcels of knickers! Oh julie47pf, what a relief to read this, it may not be all as bad as you were (so understandably) fearing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    A lot to take in , Juliepf , but it sounds as if it was a very positive and productive day . Please rest for the rest of the day ( week ) to get over it all . Jillyb
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Oh Julie what an appt! So much to take in, I'm so glad your OH was with you. You sound very upbeat, which is fantastic, positive thinking is the right way Julie, you're in my thoughts and prayers Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    My dear friend Julie, that's some appointment.. I'm really glad that things are going ahead (no pun intended :shock:) for you hun. I know how anxious you've been just to find out what's to be done. Good news about the lack of halo eh? I really hope that they stick to the time table and things get done sooner rather than later.. You are a very brave young lady that's for sure... Thanks for the update mi dear, make sure that you get plenty of rest, and have a great weekend away..

:grin::grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Julie
    Im so very glad you are a little happier now you have asked all the questions and had everything explained.
    It makes such a difference when you trust your consultant.
    We are with you all the way, I know we can be a bit noisy but, but its nice to know we are there.
    Love
    Barbara
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Hi Julie

So glad to hear that you had a good appt today. Your description made me really appreciate how wonderful modern medicine is!! Its clear that you are in really experienced hands.

Go off and enjoy the weekend now..

Marion x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Julie,
    I am glad that your appointment was better than you had been expecting. I am so pleased that the halo will not be needed and all in all your neck movement will not be any worse than now. You must have been so worried about that so in a way that at least has been a reassurance for you.
    I hope that you do not have to wait too long before the first op.
    Hope you have a more restful weekend.

Gentle hugs,
    Lv, I x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Good morningg every one and thankyou for your comments

You know.....still can't believe how calm i was yesterday :lol:
    (still calm today too :grin: ) I know it was because I had the support of so many people and again I thank you all for it.

I Hope you all have a lovely weekend and are all pretty well.
    Take care
    Love Juliepf
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Julie,

Sorry I am late on this. But isn't it fanstic news, and weren't you the calm one, very positive, good for you. I'm so glad you don't have to longto wait, at least you've had the pre-op part done.

Keep up the good work, and when needed I shall jump straight into your pocket. Sending you big hugs

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Julie

l reckon you are a cioper once things are actually happening...a worrier when it's all too far in the future.

Your explanation was brilliant and l think l really understand what is going to happen....it makes sense and l am soooo pleased for you :smile:

Keep us up to date please wont you....reday to jump in your dressing gown pocket for the big day :grin:

lots of love

Toni xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Julie,

Of course you're not getting an halo ...........you have to be a good girl to get one of those :wink::lol::lol:

I'm so glad you've got it over with and you're feeling so positive about the op. :grin: I knew you'd be fine once you were coping.

I bet three weeks comes along far too quickly.

Keep us posted. :grin:

Love
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I'm so glad that you are having the op done quickly, its so much better than being left to stew. It's still a shock, though, but the surgeon sounds wonderful. You sound so positive, which will help you make a good recovery.
    I'm sure we we will all be thinking of you, I know I will.
    Lots of love, Sue xxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Julie
    What a great appointment that sounds......very positive and I'm so glad that you aren't worried now.
    Hope it comes quickly

Love
    Hileena
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi Julie..

Am a bit late sorry..
    Glad it went well for you(must have fell asleep in your pocket lol)
    At least you know where you stand and that you are actually going somewhere too.. Its a breath of fresh air to hear positive news.. lets hope there's more to come..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hey Legs

She can borrow mine a176.gif

any day...might need a quick polish though....
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Hi Julie.
    i wih you all the bst for your op 3 weeks will soon go.
    i will be in your pocket on the day
    you dont need a halo you have your own you help so many people on here.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx