One for the knee people

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 27. Jun 2011, 11:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
I used cheap and cheerful neoprene ones from my local chemist. I don't use them now as my knees are too fat even for the extra large sizes and the bone growths on the outside of both joints don't appreciate the pressure. You may need a stick too, I reckon you could get away with a walking pole or two! At least you'll look the part. I hope it's a good holiday. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Football involves running (or it should) which I doubt you will be doing in Canada. Try them now before you depart, I reckon they won't shift. Make sure you measure your knee accurately for the right size. (I think they use centimetres.)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Del

am of no use at all....the only thing l ever tried were those ones you put a heated thingy in and they made it worse l think!!!

Just wanted to say l hope you have a fantastic time.

Love

toni xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I use adjustable velcro knee supports bought from my local pharmacy. They let me try before I bought them. Cost about £7 each.

The fact that they're adjustable is very useful.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    Options
    If you go into Boots they will measure your knee for you. x
    event.png
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Sorry Del, cannot help as I never used them. Since my knee replacements I have used a pair when kneeling, weeding in the garden but that is all.

Have a great hols.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Years ago before I had my knees done I had one from the OT's at the hospital.
    It was quite bulky and made you hot but it did work.
    Maybe you could ask your local OT's or Physio's it they can sort something for you.
    Have a fab time.
    Anita.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    stop useing the body lotion dell then they will not slip about.
    have great holiday val
    val
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    get a cheap and cheerful knee brace just to gove support, hope you have a fab time xxx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Advice from Mr SW who does a fair bit of walking. Poles don't help a lot on flat ground but are a big help going up and down, taking strain off the knees. You must have two (he says) and the bit that adjusts for your height must be absolutely stable when tightened. Have a good time!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Hey, Have a fantastic time!

I have used tubigrip on my knees in the past but it does tend to roll, sounds like boots maybe the place or the velcro supports let us know how you get on!

Oh and it was Mary Hopkins lol she wouldn't be happy being called mark :lol:

Rose x
  • wannabewriter
    wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
    Options
    Hi Del,

Ever since my knees started playing up in school years and years (and years) ago I've sworn by the braces - but you're right, the neoprene ones do ride up something rotten.

I have one made by El*stopl*st, bought in Boots, and it has a hole for the kneecap, and three straps (two go round one way, the middle one the other to make sure it stays on!) and steel strips in the sides for extra support. I wear this almost every day (I know I shouldn't tsk tsk but atm it's the only thing that eases the pain). It cost me about £30 but was well worth it, considering how much I've spent trying to find a good one til now!

Good luck with the search and enjoy the holiday!
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi Del,

I have one made by El*stopl*st, bought in Boots, and it has a hole for the kneecap, and three straps (two go round one way, the middle one the other to make sure it stays on!) and steel strips in the sides for extra support

I have tried many .. the one mentioned above is very similar to the one i have and i have found it the best one i have tried.. just no good if i want to wear leggings lol

Hope you managed to find one.. and i look forward to hearing about your holiday..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx