Knee Replacement or Not??

Options
Gazza
Gazza Member Posts: 5
edited 2. Aug 2011, 04:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I feel like a bit of a Girls Blouse!!! I've read heaps of your postings and marvel at the pain and trauma you have all suffered.. My story has probably been one of denial that I actually have OA.and pretending thinking that I am younger than I am but when I was told that I should have a knee replacement I have paniced a bit. I have had sore knees for a couple of years am 57 overweight by at least 25kg and I had a a couple of impact traumas which resulted in symptoms like a torn hamstring and top of calf muscle. the GP's diagnosis was a medial damage but a long story to short after MRI and Xrays I have OA!! now one surgeon said that I should do physio which I did, no improvement. another said he could do keyhole surgery and sand paper the joint or something but that most of the time that didn't work anyway so I didn't have it done and the knees seemed OK for 8/9 mths them I had another knock and what I thought was another hammy whilst trying to jog across a road from that point the left knee has been hurting (not excruciating like some of you seem to suffer but certainly changed my whole life ) and I got a walking stick to favour the walking and assit getting up from tube seats etc etc. anyway after another MRI and Xray and now I was still convinced that it was a cruciate tear and was expecting key hole surgery as the option to be told I should have a full knee replacement. I went into shock really but the surgeons appointment was so short I just said yes and went to pre op and was to expect to be listed in 14 /18 wks so November. This would give me time to think!! Well yesterday I am advised that the opp is for 15th July and I don't know enough about it. one one hand it seems like I'm the luckiest and most undeserving amoung you but is the surgeon saying well you are young so you may as well get the most out of life with good knees because what you've got is only going to get worse and worse but should I insist og keyhole to try that first ??? I am confused . What does anyone think? Any thoughts welcome.What would you do??

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Gazza and welcome to posting.

I had both my knees replaced at the same time at the age of 42, 11 years ago. I am now due to have one replacement replaced (revision) because I've worn one out :roll:

Before I had mine done I was in a wheelchair outside the house and if they couldn't have done the operation I really didn't want to go on living. :shock:

I think you have to ask yourself what would you do if they couldn't give you a TKR and if the keyhole surgery is only a temporary measure are you just avoiding what is inevitable. I'm sure the surgeon wouldn't have got you in so quickly if he didn't think it was necessary.

Hope this helps :grin:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Gazza

I cannot answer your question for you whether to go for a TKR or not, but if you have any doubts, then don't. You will know when you feel the time is right, believe me. If you mean an arthroscopy when you mention keyhole surgery then by all means go for it, but some surgeons are not bothering to go down that road now as success rate is not so good. I had three done (two on the same knee as I felt as if a bit of grit had been left in my knee and it aggravated) and the pain very soon came back. I am 60 now and have had both knees replaced, one in 2008 and one in 2010. It was the best thing I could have done. The surgeon told me to wait as long as I could and this I did. I was not at the stage of using a walking stick. Losing some weight will help you post op, should you go for a TKR, but I expect you know this already. It is a major operation and it does take time post op for most people to get over it. By this I mean, hardly thinking anymore that the new knee is not the one you were born with!

If you have any questions, just ask and I shall endeavour to reply to them.

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 25. Jun 2011, 03:23
    Options
    Get it done. As far as I am concerned it's a no-brainer. If it is giving you trouble now it will only give you more as time passes. I had some keyhole work done on my right knee in 2005 and I saw first-hand the damage undiagnosed OA has done to my knees in April this year. (I was putting all my troubles down to the psoriatic arthritis which started in my left knee. Stupid woman.) The keyhole work stopped nothing and repaired nothing. I have been on crutches since 2002, I hoped to go down to only one or even a stick post November 2005 and it was not to be, but then I had a differently caused arthritis causing the problems. I am now waiting to hear from orthopaedics and fully expect to be told to go away and get on with things - that way I might be pleasantly surprised! (That'll be a first in fifteen years of this malarkey.)

It's a big op, and the recovery can take longer than they posit (they are not the ones managing it afterwards) but surely it can only be worth it. Better mobility, less pain, fewer pain dullers. What's not to like? :smile: I wish you well. DD

PS. I've just realised that this was a milestone post for me - my 11,000th! Woo-hoo! That has made my day. :grin:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi gazza,

I have had both my knees replaced in 1998 when I was 44.
    I was in terrible pain before I had it done and my right leg was in the vulgus position for some time.
    It made such a difference and I would do it again. I had one done in the July and the other in the Nov.
    Obviously I can't say how you will recover but I as up and about on crutches the next day and back to normal with no crutches shortly after. Can't remember exactly when bit I was driving after 5 weeks.
    At this moment I have an excruciating pain in my right knee (Bit of a flare up according to the Doc!)and if I did need another replacement I wouldn't hesitate!
    Good luck and best wishes.
    Anita
  • Gazza
    Options
    Thanks Guys, Comments have been helpful especially your relative ages etc. I'd say that tonight I am leaning much closer to going ahead. Cheers I'll let you know my final decision
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    Hiya
    i had my knee replaced 4 years ago and its been hell, a lot of it is my fault i shouldve tried harder BEFORE surgery to reduce the weight im 20 stone now and was 17 1/2 at time of the op, i had an MRI nothing showed up had arthroscopy showed bone on bone, so was greatful to get it sorted at last, my nights of tears alone in the sitting room at 3am were gonna be over....
    only problem i said i would accept a cancellation of course i never expected it... anyway wed 4pm phone call... be at the princess royal hospital 7am thursday..... MISTAKE!
    anyway ive been very uncomfortable ever since, one thing i was told by my physio the trouble with TKR is... they were used to giving them to elderly people those who were retired and took leisurely walks etc.... now we are getting TKR at younger ages and are still taking kids to primary school therefore we were expecting to much from this replaced joint,
    at one of my hydrotherapy sessions i spoke to many that were there PRE op.... SUCH A BRILLIANT IDEA... they were taught to help build their muscles up prior to surgery, made so much sense like getting fit before surgery so u are able to do more after,
    i know there will come a day not so far off when i will have to have it done again as im only 50, research, speak to others get advice from physios and OT to get things in place and to know exactly what will be expected and make the home more manageable
    i think you sound the sort of person that wont let it beat you....
    i wish you good luck but make your own mind up xxxxx read lots
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Gazza

l have not had my knees done.

I have no right to comment, BUT l do come on here a lot and chat to folks who have and two friends have had both done. neither have regretted it and both are fitter than ever.

The only reason l am posting at all is because l am like you and not so keen on surgery :shock: l am a scaredy-cat :oops:

If you do decide to go ahead...we on here will be 100% behind you...yes even though you are 'new'....and support you all the way.

Love

Toni xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Hi , Gazza , I too am due to have both knees replaced , I am 55 and an overweight wheelchair user . I'm scared silly but will definitely go for it when offered ( prob next year as I wanted to lose weight first ) , think of the discomfort you're in now ~ not likely to get better ; go for it ! Jillyb
  • liesa
    Options
    when i had my knee done there was a lady i made friends with in the bed opposite, she had exactly the same op but different consultant, she recovered so fast and so well within 6 months she went back and had the other leg done,
    my dad also had same as me but so far at 88 years of age hes had left knee replaced twice, he goes to the city centre every day, he goes to the smaller area of Brighton town and has breakfast out everyday, he walks he has either no pain or very little, in fact i havent heard him grumble about it once... he has had a couple of falls lately and hurts his arms,
    but he just never complains,
    we are all different so think about whats right for you and set your mind to making it work....
    hopefully in a few months time you will be able to tell us that you are as good as 100% better
    :smile:
    love and hugs
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Gazza

Get it done..I think youve known deep down inside that this has been coming but youve had ostrich syndrome (head in sand)..An arthoscopy wont help you one iota - i had one done last march as have had osteochondritis dissecans since age of 18, am now 42....I now need a new knee and ive had to fight tooth and nail to get listened to as they keep putting up the barriers which are age and weight (i need to lose 2 stone)...So im surprised actually they arent asking you to lose weight as youre still classed as young at 57...
    Go for the op, its quite a substantial operation but you will feel the benefits....Wish my story had been as clean cut as yours and the offers had been so forthcoming...

Elainex
    Gazza wrote:
    I feel like a bit of a Girls Blouse!!! I've read heaps of your postings and marvel at the pain and trauma you have all suffered.. My story has probably been one of denial that I actually have OA.and pretending thinking that I am younger than I am but when I was told that I should have a knee replacement I have paniced a bit. I have had sore knees for a couple of years am 57 overweight by at least 25kg and I had a a couple of impact traumas which resulted in symptoms like a torn hamstring and top of calf muscle. the GP's diagnosis was a medial damage but a long story to short after MRI and Xrays I have OA!! now one surgeon said that I should do physio which I did, no improvement. another said he could do keyhole surgery and sand paper the joint or something but that most of the time that didn't work anyway so I didn't have it done and the knees seemed OK for 8/9 mths them I had another knock and what I thought was another hammy whilst trying to jog across a road from that point the left knee has been hurting (not excruciating like some of you seem to suffer but certainly changed my whole life ) and I got a walking stick to favour the walking and assit getting up from tube seats etc etc. anyway after another MRI and Xray and now I was still convinced that it was a cruciate tear and was expecting key hole surgery as the option to be told I should have a full knee replacement. I went into shock really but the surgeons appointment was so short I just said yes and went to pre op and was to expect to be listed in 14 /18 wks so November. This would give me time to think!! Well yesterday I am advised that the opp is for 15th July and I don't know enough about it. one one hand it seems like I'm the luckiest and most undeserving amoung you but is the surgeon saying well you are young so you may as well get the most out of life with good knees because what you've got is only going to get worse and worse but should I insist og keyhole to try that first ??? I am confused . What does anyone think? Any thoughts welcome.What would you do??
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Hi Gazza.
    i had pain in my knee that got worse when i went to the
    dr i was told you need a tkr.
    i have had it 8 years now i have not had any pain from it
    i go to the hydrotherapy pool i did go to the gym i loved going
    on the treadmill and rowing machine exersize bike but i had to stop as i had arther in other places and i felt worn out.
    i dont regret the op because i dont have the pain in my knee
    i also have a thr that i've had 16 years.
    good luck
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Gazza
    I havent had knees done.....I'm a hippie :lol: I think most of us go through a denial period....I know I did and what a shock I got when I was suddenly told {from taking paracetamol every day} that I need 2 new hips.....had one done, now they are working on my back before doing the other one.
    Any specific questions you have when it comes close to the time just fire them......as you can see there are loads of people that have had knee ops and will answer you......I know when i was told about replacement hips I was so scared and I fired questions right left and center at everone :oops: and got answers.
    So good luck with your decision
    Love
    Hileena
  • liesa
    Options
    my consultant/surgeon said to me when i asked if my weight would be a problem for tkr i was 17 1/2 stone, he said look at me... how can i tell you to lose weight when im big myself, he said there is pain, bone on bone it needed to be changed regardless of my weight, brilliant Dr!
    love and hugs
  • Compositor
    Compositor Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi Gazza,

As with many others, having to have TKR is an ordeal in itself, having to make that decision at a younger age, than, you should anticipate making in later years is something. I was in the unfortunate position in 2002/3 in my early fifities...I didn't really want to go through surgery again, but, necessity was the main reason I had them both done. I could not carry on with the untolerable pain, lack of quality of life, and, important to me, was my family suffering also, through watching me daily struggling and trying to manage just to please them. I had them both done within a short space of time and it made a complete difference to me alround, mentally, physically, emotionally, socially. I'm several years down the line now, I get the problems of soreness and pains in my knees, but, that length of time gave me my life back, I know at some stage it will lead to be having them done again. The drive for me is, I won't let this arthritis get the better of me, my community involvement, and, my family...Good luck Gazza. John
  • Gazza
    Options
    Well Guys I have bitten the bullet - have pre op 4th July next Monday for TKR of one (left ) knee on 15th !!
    You and others have made me realise that although I would like to kid my self that I am not too bad (and I'm probably not compared to the descriptions of most of your sufferings) that however mild/or not my knees are at the moment at 57 they are only going to get worse..... so I feel Privileged and somewhat chastened at my seemingly dead easy path to this remedy I feel like I should swap with some of you guys that have really had it tough with the pain and the waiting. So the best I can do I suppose is to try and give you all a good account of how it goes for me and to live up to your generous support. Thanks!!
    Well to start with I had already written a letter to the surgeon asking about Keyhole surgery on both knees as an option but I did not get a reply only advice that the date was confirmed for the 15/7 - i still have no reply and therefore have only this forums advice about Keyhole or TKR You'd think it was good manners to at least get some response ?? So again thanks for your help folks..
    Psychologically I am still a bit daunted about getting, what I felt was a pretty good knee until recently, cut out and replaced and I intend to use the new **** to its full capacity which seems to be about 10 yrs of hard rocking!!
    To that end I will lose weight (cop this I have limited my intake for the past five days to about 1000/1500 calories-- bloody good for me I'll tell you! and have almost gone alcohol free and that's amazing for me I loooove my Red wine)( If I can get the surgeon to sew my mouth up while he's knocking about my knee I reckon all problems will be solved (and the wife reckons she won't have to listen to me whinging!!!) and hopefully will use this as an overall change of lifestyle so stay tuned : Starting at 125kgs wringing wet I'll report my progress - and as you have all said its has got to help recovery: Thanks again for the help : and being of a cynical religous persuasion I quote my old favourite Dave Allen "Goodnight and may your God go with you"
    I'll be in touch
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Gazza
    Great news that it is going to be so quick.....give us all a shout and we'll be there for pocket duty.
    Look forward to hearing from you about how its going

Love
    Hileena
  • Gazza
    Options
    Hi all, Thanks for your help prior. I had the Op on 15th turned out to be a half knee replacement (oxford??) Been two weeks now and stiches /staples now out have been suprised at how quickly things improve but must keep to the physio skript even if it hurts a bit. I have been into London and about with crutches but don't use them at home if I take it slow with small steps to simulate normal walking. Overall bloody marvelous. Wimbledon centre court next year!!. Good luck everyone and thanks again for you support.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm glad to hear it's gone so well for you. You make the most of your new-found health and mobility, you hear? :smile: I wish you a much better, brighter and hopefully pain-free future. DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Gazza
    Well your new life starts here :lol: Enjoy it

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Yay. brill news Gazza. Yep, persevere with those exercises. You are doing good. :grin:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Bumped up for poppy2021.