Doctor says throw away your crutches. Help!!!

Options
Seabreeze
Seabreeze Member Posts: 25
edited 28. Jun 2011, 15:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,

I haven't been on here for awhile but have been off work for the last three weeks due to a fall and injuring my ankle. I saw my doctor last week and asked if I could have an xray of my ankle and he said no need because you have only sprained it. He told me that I would be off work for 6 weeks. I have been in so much pain and discomfort. There has been no improvement apart from the swelling going down. The last two days I felt that I couldn't walk without my crutches. My doctor has gone on holiday so I saw another doctor at the surgery this afternoon. She was surprised that I had not had an xray so I now have to go and have that done and told me to get rid of the crutches and just walks with a limp because the crutches are causing all my fingers to go numb! She told me not to buy a walking stick either because I will depend on it permanently. My toes are also going numb and I get cramps in both feet. She also told me that I will be off work for 12 weeks with my ankle injury and that OA IS NOT A DISABILITY.

Since my OA started I am getting worse and I find that I am becoming more and more disabled. How can two doctors be so different? I feel more stable using the crutch. I would love to hear from other forum members. What do you think?

Maria.
x

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    can not give you medical advice but if it was me would use crutches if need them docs do not know anything and if you not had x ray how do they know there not a break so wait till after xray before dumping them .
    the docs do not know enough about arther there are over 200 types it no wonder they are confused we live with it and do not get it good luck val
    val
  • Seabreeze
    Options
    Thanks Val. I will go to the hospital tomorrow for the xray. Imagine if I do have a break, they will put me in plaster and as my OH has left me and I am on my own, heaven knows how I will cope? I do hope there is no break but it might be the OA that is why it is taking so long for the sprain to heal. Will let you know if I get plastered (not the drinking type). I also asked about a "pain clinic" at the local hospital and she told me that I have to be in pain for at least a year before I can go there! I wonder how many doctors would tolerate being in pain for an entire year???

Anyway, I will put my feet up and hope that tomorrow I do not receive any bad news.

Take care,
    Maria
    x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    if they put you in plaster at least it will ease the pain rest as much as you can and you might have to wait for results if it doc that sent you to xray we are here if you need us good luck val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Oh Seabreeze

dont ditch 'em till you find out is my advice too....heaven only knows what is going on there :???:

one doctor says 6 weeks and no xray the other says 12 and xray....who knows?

l would listen to my own body if l were in a similar place to you.

I do hope the pain eases soon for you too and yes please do let us knwo if you get 'plastered'!!!

Love

Toni xx
  • princess935
    princess935 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    If only OA wasnt disabling, think the doc needs to get a grip and wake up, or retrain.

If you need it use it, you might depend on it, and that will be because you need it, it can help alot by keeping some pain at bay.

take care x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    If only OA wasnt disabling, think the doc needs to get a grip and wake up, or retrain.

If you need it use it, you might depend on it, and that will be because you need it, it can help alot by keeping some pain at bay.

take care x

I agree. My mum had OA and was she extremely disabled by it. It is not the illness that is the disability but how it affects you. Your doctor sounds stupid to me.

I've had mixed views from docs/nurses/OT about using walking sticks. Some say yes and some say no. I only use one when my knees and ankles are really bad as I don't like the look but, if I understand you correctly, you only damaged your ankle 3 weeks ago so it doesn't seem unreasonable to use crutches until it heals. I 'sprained' an ankle 30 years ago and it took me 6 weeks at least until I could walk on it. 3 weeks is nothing.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    salamander wrote:

Hi Sal :grin:

Good to see you!

Love

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I've had mixed opinions about using a stick as well......ortho says no...you will rely on it and become more hunched than you already are...{got kyphoscoliosis} The physio {that I have a lot of faith in} discovered that sometimes I went out with a stick in my bag, walked as far as I could and then used it going back.....he said NO.....use it before you need it......I'm sure you;ve been told the same about pain killers....dont play catch up with pain keep on top of it......stick is the same according to him.
    Personally I would say use them while you think you need them.
    If it is broken and they put you in plaster at least you wont be in pain {from that} when will you know....sorry if i missed that bit
    Love
    Hileena
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    salamander wrote:

Good to see you!

Love

Toni xx

Hi Toni! how are you doing? :smile:
  • Seabreeze
    Options
    Hi,

I've tried to log on for a few days and kept on getting different passwords but it wouldn't work. Update, went to hospital, had xray and was told that my ankle isn't broken but very badly sprained. A report is being sent to my doctor. The thing is that I have been off work now for almost a month and apart from the swelling disappearing I don't see any other improvement, referring to the pain when I put my foot down and walk and pressing on the affected area is awful. I am going back to see doc on Friday because I should be back at work next week but right now can't manage to walk around a supermarket never mind a large retail shop! Thanks to everyone who posted on here and for your support. I agree with all of you that Arther in whatever type RA, OA or any other form is disabling. The pain is bearable today but I've had continuous bad days. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Maria.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sprains can take a rare old while to heal - you use whatever aids you need in the meantime to take the strain. You are the one living with this, you do what you need to help you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I agree with DD
    Sprains can take a long time and are just as sore if not sorer than a break because you arent in plaster to support it.
    I sprained my sacro illiac joint about 5 weeks ago and its just getting worse....started using a stick, then 2 odd sticks and yesterday I rang the physio and asked for elbow crutches....she said yes......its still very sore but I'm more supported...I have to see the GP tomorrow morning....I dread to think what she'll say....so you stick to your guns and use whatever aids you need....I'm going to if she saiys anything tomorrow.
    Love
    Hileena
  • Seabreeze
    Options
    Good luck at the doctor tomorrow. I was involved in an accident last year and the hospital gave me crutches which I did not return. I am now pleased that I have them as with OA and also sprained ankle, I use one to be stable and feel more confident using it. Get some crutches instead of using two sticks. Take care, Maria.
  • frogmorton
    Options

Good to see you!

Love

Toni xx[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Hi Toni! how are you doing? :smile:[/quote]

Not so bad Sal - you??
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Maria

you have to go back to the doctor if things are not better don't you...of course l am glad you haven't broken it, but pain is pain :sad:

You may need a bit more time off - and maybe some physio??

Love

Toni xx