I've been rumbled

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
edited 26. Jun 2011, 03:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Part one of my cunning plan (‘Can you keep a secret?’) kind of worked – ie I got there, did everything, enjoyed it hugely (Well, apart from the ENT guy shoving his camera up my nose/down my throat) and got back again, but the knee is now what I believe our friend DD would poetically refer to as phacked. My days of standing and staring for a few minutes on rising from a chair are but a fond memory. Now I stand, grunt, cough, flop back, stand again, grunt again, cough, stand, swivel on one leg, stand, swivel, grunt etc etc. You get the picture.

Not surprising then that this morning Mr SW, despite being a fully paid up bloke, twigged something was not quite right. He did a double teapot, looked me in the eye and asked solemnly:

“What about this knee of yours?”

“What knee?” was clearly not going to cut the mustard. For 2 weeks running I’ve given him a supermarket list. He knows I hate doing that as it results in lots of cr8ppy instant stuff and a mysterious dearth of vegetables. I’ve also suddenly lost all interest in going for walks, having just purchased a pedometer. So I had to come clean(ish) and promised to sort out an appointment with my orthopaedic guy asap.

The thought of tackling our son’s stairs for 3-4 nights next week still scares me sh1tless but I guess coming clean means I can also enlist the help of our son. Unfortunately there’ll be nothing for it but to retire for the night while the three of us are still sober, full in the knowledge that the other two will promptly go back down and continue to swig the lovely malts ‘til the early hours.

Sometimes arthritis can be a real pain, can't it?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket

I have to say you did well covering up. But that's the problem when you are married or living with someone. They do notice when things aren't going right with you. I'm the same, I try to cover up when I'm in bad pain but never been able to convince my hubby.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket.
    you did a good job covering it up but you know how bad the pain is. you book your ap and see how it goes we are here for you.
    i will be in your pocket.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    Like the others have said.....you did a good job covering but its true ....when you have an OH you cant hide it......in fact I was at church last Sunday and was sitting drinking coffe, eating bikkies with a group of people {before it began} and we were laughing and talking as normal {or so I thought} until one of them said to me......you look as if you are in pain :eek: I was sitting....not doing anything except talking....which I can do for England/Ireland :lol: so what brought that on I dont know...but it just shows how you cant hide pain from people that know you....especially hubbys

Love sending ((((((())))))))
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That sounds to me as tho that knee is both phacked and beggured. Oh dear, but hats off to Mr SW and rest assured that now it's noticed it will be forgotten in the way that only a bloke can do. Personally I am relieved he knows, that way you can enlist extra help and anyway why should they retire downstairs to swig malt? Why shouldn't you hold a 'salon' as it were? They can help you up to bed (whilst all parties are relatively sober) where you can don an elegant peignoir and swoon gracefully upon a pile of pillows, then they can gather around and swig with you. Simples. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • princess935
    princess935 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Get very tipsy and blank out on the sofa lol x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    What a bummer eh Sticky.

I, too, was going to suggest taking the party upstairs but I need to know where the toilet is - can't have you tackling the stairs during the night when you've had several malts. :shock:

I hope you have a lovely time at your boy's and you're right, at times, arthur sucks .....well most of the time actually. :roll:

Take care on those stairs (I shall worry now till you report back :shock: )
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Constable, Joan & Hileena - I guess I'm not such a good actress as I thought I was.

Princess - the sofa is a sofa bed but I wake up with every joint in my body aching after a night on it.

DD - I'm not really an accomplished 'swooner', either gracefully or disgracefully. Plus, this is my husband & son we're talking about. They'd much prefer a spot of male bonding downstairs.

Legs - loos upstairs & down. Grandson also upstairs, unfortunately. Not to worry, I shall still manage to have a good time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Sticky

Nicely put Sticky and you were banged to rights there :wink:

Husband not slow off the mark then? :roll:

Bless you you did well, but things are what they are and help is needed.

Let us know how you get on wont you

HUGS

Toni xx