I'm Back...1 month post op...

Options
dippyhips
dippyhips Member Posts: 58
edited 27. Jun 2011, 05:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, I hope you are all well as can be.....sorry I've not been here supporting you all, but just needed some time to myself to concentrate on recovering.

I had my left hip replacement a month today and it's not been an easy 4 wks but now I'm beginning to see the benefits. I had a ceramic on ceramic, uncemented joint which means I'm full weight bearing.

The first 2 weeks were the worst, swelling, stiffness, pain, unable to sleep and difficulty moving, then over the next 2 weeks swelling started to ease, pain had lessened, movements got easier although still wasn't sleeping much, due to frequent bathroom trips and then finding it difficult to sleep on my back. Also I was very emotional, bursting into tears at just about everything & anything or getting angry & snapping at people or just wishing I hadn't had it done.

The real break through has been in the last few days, 1st I managed to get 6 hrs sleep which is a big plus, I've greatly reduced my pain tablets, I use to take 27 tablets a day, I'm now down to just 6 tablets and they are now just normal paracetamol :smile: I'm waddling around the house without my sticks, although I still use them when I go out thou as I tire easily.

I can't wait for the restrictions to be lifted and also to get rid of these TED socks. I'm looking forward to being able to drive, also to having a nice long soak in a bubble bath and to taking my dog out to the forest for some nice long walks. I'm feeling a lot more positive about it now :smile:

I'm signed off work till after my 6 wk check which is on 11th July but shall wait to see how I feel, I do have a sit down job but at the moment I find it difficult to sit for more than 30 mins.

The sun is shining at last :smile: so I'm going to potter out into the garden now & take in some sun rays. I hope the sun is shining on you too :smile:

Sue x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Major surgery leaves everyone a little wobbly emotionally, and little wonder. It is a big deal having stuff done to your body and the recovery time is always under-estimated by the docs (who aren't the ones experiencing it). I am glad to to hear that you are getting on so well now, potter gently, stop when you think you can do more, and here's to life getting better and better for you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Good to have you back . And I am so glad you are feeling so much more on top now. Keep it up you are doing really really well and I must say I am feeling jealous.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Dippy

l was exactly the same after my back opp.....the worst recoverer anywhere :sad: no sleep agony swollen (my belly was too :lol: looked impregnated!!)

But as you say it all comes together and in the end you have no regrets at all.

Well done and GREAT to see you :grin:

Love

Toni xx
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    Hi Sue
    I'm Liesa

just wanted to say hello and say how nice for you now to be enjoying this gorgeous weather, it will help with your mood greatly, glad your feeling good xxx long may it continue
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sue,
    That sounds so familiar.....I had my first THR Feb a year ago.....and i was on here moaning to everyone :oops:
    Couldnt sleep because I was on my back, the restrictions etc....I think you are doing very well to have managed 6 hrs sleep being only 4 weeks post op......even after the 6 and he told bme I could sleep on my side I had problems.....I was on tramadol until my 6 week check up. I was like you with the sticks.....didnt have them round the house at the end but used them outside.
    Those teds are dreadful aren't they......I wss told towards the end that I could take them off at night.....what a relief, and I also remember the bubble bath an d looking at my little car siting outside as well.
    You sound as if you are doing really well.
    Love
    Hileena