swollen ankles

nanasue
nanasue Member Posts: 465
edited 27. Jun 2011, 07:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all, hope you're all feeling better with this lovely weather and enjoying it. I was wondering if anyone has had swollen ankles (the water retention type), could it be caused by the RA OA or fibro or is it the meds. I have had it before, but not as bad. I was given support socks for it but they don't work 100% and are much too hot to wear in this weather anyway. I have made an appointment with my GP but wondered if anyone had any pointers, any suggestions would be gratefully received, anything is worth a try. I've tried raising my feet but the only time that works is overnight and then sometimes not completely in my right ankle. It's not painful, apart from skin tightening. Looking forward to hearing your ideas, thanks,

Sue x

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi sue can not help you but bumping this back to top to see if any one else can help val
    val
  • Cez
    Cez Member Posts: 46
    I have! I've only noticed on the last few weeks, when i take my socks off in the evening, i've been left with a indentation on my leg, i assumed it was some sort of water retention but don't know what causes it. I don't think it's my meds because i've been taking them a while now. Perhaps it's yet another symptom of the RA! Not pleasant but not problematic enough for me to do anything about it at the minute! I hope you can find something that works for you! x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    If it's not the arthritis Sue....

might be fluid retetntion as you say....if he can he might give you a course of diuretics or something to help.

When mine did that after my back surgery l think l was told to move teh ankles as much as poss to help the body take the fuid back up or something..... :?:

Good luck

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It could be the arthritis, it could be the meds, it could be age-related, who knows? Sit with your legs elevated as often as you can, it may be worth going to see your GP and asking his opinion: he's the best-placed one to advise you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    I too have had this problem over the past few weeks.

Going to the hospital to see my consultant next week, so will see what he says. Ibuporfen seems to help! Slightly!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Sue, I suffer terrible with swollen ankles! I get it in the heat like at the moment with this lovely weather, and in the winter with the cold. Their isn't any trigger point. I thought it was the arther but it isn't my thoughts it might be the meds or the fibro. If you ever wanna talk about it, give tips ect, or just shout at it you can private message me and we can figure this out between each other! :smile: Amanda/bubbadog.