how much do you spend?

Options
katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
edited 4. Jul 2011, 07:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
Having just read Rehabs post about iceland......how much do you spend on your weekly shop and where? we are a family of 4 and i tend to spend between £60 and £80 a month and a lot of that is cooking from scratch,mainly from tesco's as you get points and vouchers which are very handy for christmas,i dont think i have ever done a shop in iceland lol

Comments

• katknapp
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thats still quite good,i think ours would be cheaper but the youngest member of the family is a fruit addict she has her own section in the fridge chocker block with fruit and veg shes only 4!!we have started to grow our own raspberries and strawberries to cut the cost,although its a case of getting to them before the damn birds! its shocking just how much fruit can cost
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    We grow a lot of veg and fruit but still manage to spend loads Sometimes OH can spend £60 a time but usually it is over £100 per week....especially when I go shopping. And we don't spend on alcohol.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    katknapp wrote:
    Having just read Rehabs post about iceland......how much do you spend on your weekly shop and where? we are a family of 4 and i tend to spend between £60 and £80 a month and a lot of that is cooking from scratch,mainly from tesco's as you get points and vouchers which are very handy for christmas,i dont think i have ever done a shop in iceland lol

Hi katnapp
    Only £60-£80 a month?That's £15-£20 a week!Or do you mean £60-£80 a week?
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    That's what I thought Ron.. Lol
    We don't have a set shopping day as such, which is deadly and ends up a lot more expensive..
    Probably between fifty and eighty per week for the two of us plus the cat. I too am a fruit fiend though. I basically live on fruit and chicken..
    :grin:
    And I do go through a great deal of tetley teabags, milk, sugar and volvic water.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • katknapp
    Options
    ohhh lol...i meant a week!! im good but not that good!!!! we dont get alcohol on it,we go through loads of tea and milk
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I reckon we're spending around £100 to £120 for a family of four. Our eldest daughter is a veggi. So where are we going wrong. ours seem a lot higher than everyone else.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    We're a family of 5 and spend about 60-70 a week... then we do a food shop at the local Asian store about every 3 months to stock up on lentils, spices, garlic, ginger etc which costs about 50 each time...

Indian food is very cheap and easy to make... We have an Indian meal about 6 nights a week, me and hubby were brought up on it and we're intending on bringing our girls up the same, so cheap and nutritious, would be a shame not to pass it on. Apart from the chapattis, it's gluten free too, so I don't spend a lot on GF products.

I have to confess that a lot of our food bill goes on snack-type items. I've always been a snacker and am a crisp-a-holic :D

Nxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I must confess that I eat one large bag of tai sweet chilli crisps every two days at least.. Lol
    Luv em.. Part of mi five a day as they're made from spuds, haha..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Tony I have been told that spuds aren't included in the 5 a day.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • NinaKKang
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Spuds are considered starch, not a vegetable, as such, so not one of your five a day, I agree... But shhhh! Don't spoil things for Tony and Len!

Nxx
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    I have got to be honest i am not sure. We use the reduced shelf at tescos and do get some really good deals. Most things are made from scratch and i also buy GF but have a brilliant Nepalese shop where i buy rice/maize flour cheap along with cornflour and loads more. Adli for fruit and veg and eat what is on offer. We have 5 of us living at home (4 adults one child) and 1 that stays and eats more often than not. Also use cheap food sites which i don't think i am allowed to say on this site but if anyone wants to know about them inbox me and i will send you the details. I will have to work it out and find out...wonder if i will get a nasty shock???
  • NinaKKang
    Options
    Trust me, Del, it's like bread - if the chapattis not made from wheat flour, then it's just not as nice. My mum's suggested all kinds of gluten free chapattis - from corn flour to MUNG BEAN FLOUR - and she wonders why I pull faces and won't even try them!

It's not being able to have chapattis that's the real killer - I was brought up on them (I've never eaten much bread) and I still make them for my kids :( At least I can still have dahls, it's not all bad.

Nxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    about £70 a week including cleaning products for 4 of us do have chinese every other week extra val
    val
  • craigp
    craigp Member Posts: 44
    Options
    usually £70 a week for the three of us but that doesnt inclued the overly expensive GF treats for our lass its disgusting how the price of gf food is so much higher my other half actually gets alot on prescription bread/flour/pasta/biscuits so its not too bad she just pays a one off payment once a year and can get as much as she wants delivered to boots where i usually after carry 5 or 6 bags lol
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Probably about 100 euros a week between the two of us That includes copious amounts of wine and spirits.Is cider part of your 5 a day?? :evil :evil
  • katknapp
    Options
    Probably about 100 euros a week between the two of us That includes copious amounts of wine and spirits.Is cider part of your 5 a day??

You would think so considering its made from apples lol :wink:
  • charrisse
    charrisse Member Posts: 89
    Options
    I live on my own and spend app £15 a week and then have a delivery of all the heavy stuff once a month which is usually in the £40 range.
    Think that I might be being a bit extravagant although I do eat all fresh veg and fruit and cook from scratch.
    All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    to be honest what you spend depends on what you can afford you cut your cloth to suit your pocket more money equals treats steak instead of mince the odd bar of chocolate. i always shop around hate to pay more for something than need be but when bad just get what we need from close to home it all a matter of what best for you at that moment in time.
    the other question is how much do you spend on taxis /petrol getting your shopping ??????
    val
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    M & S .....very nice but to pricey for me ....only for a treat. I am not surprised your bill is so hard. We use markets, Aldi, Lidl, tesco but i do like asda and Morrison but by we travel about 10 miles it is not worth the fuel.
    wonder what shops other people use???
  • NinaKKang
    Options
    I mainly used to do a food shop at Asda because we live near it and it's very handy on Saturday mornings as it's next door to the girls' ballet lessons. Then when we got our kitchen done and got a big fridge/freezer, I started doing a food shop once a month at Asda... I now do most of my food shop online every couple of weeks as I've had a lot of vouchers recently for free delivery. Our lastest one came from Ocado - I know, very posh!

Nxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I do an online Tesco shop about every 5 weeks and did one today. The total was £240 this time with a £5 off voucher. I shop for fruit and veggies, milk and other perishable items once/ twice a week from our waitrose local, M&S local or Sainsbury's local. :smile:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dippyhips
    dippyhips Member Posts: 58
    Options
    With family of 5, usually spend between £80 - £120 a week and shop anywhere, hate shopping at the same place, hate food shopping full stop. Since I've not being able to shop since having the hip op, I've been doing the shop online and now it's between £50 - £80, I think I shall carry on with this online shopping as making a good saving :smile: not tempted to over shop when doing it online, plus someone else is doing all the hard graft of picking it, packing it, loading it and bring it in the house, all I do is put it away :smile: and not had a problem yet.