geneology

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 27. Jun 2011, 10:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
morning all,just been on the chit chat page,the post who would you like to and why,most of the replies mention family history research as do mine,so i was wondering is ra genetic and would it show up in ancesters,talking to aunts they dont seem to remember anyone with ra in the immediate family so have i just been unfortunate and can i have passed it on to my children and grandchildren.Mig

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Morning ! My late mother , grandfather and great aunt all had RA as I do ; my daughter has shown early signs of it too and because of the family history ; she and my son in law decided against having children themselves . I don't believe it always " runs " in families in this way , but it seems to in mine ! As with all things , every person and every family are affected by arthritis in very different ways . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    RA is an auto-immune based/caused form of this dross, auto-immune conditions are passed on from one generation to another but may not necessarily show. I had a double-whammy of genetic crap from my parents who both dodged the family bullets they passed on to me. My mum's side of the family gave me the eczema and asthma, my dad's the psoriasis, all three are auto-immune conditions. I have taken it one step further with the arthritis. Clever me! :grin:

There are some women on here whose RA began after childbirth, there are people on here who have no record of it at all in their families, but that is no guarantee that it will not start or not be passed on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi,so do i tell my children it could possibley be passed on,i worry for my grandchildren.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There's no point in worrying about grandchildren etc, if your children want children then they will have them. I deliberately decided not to have children because I knew very early on that my genes are of no value to anyone and to this day I still rate that as one of the better decisions of my life. I clearly remember a doctor telling me that having children would be fine as the asthma etc would 'probably' skip a generation but could come out in the next. Having had a childhood blighted by severe illness I knew there and then I could not do that to anyone else but I realise I look at these matters from a skewed angle. No-one knows what anyone else's future is. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I think I'm the only one among all my dozens of cousins who has RA. I also had asthma as a child and, more mildly, now. Again, I think I'm the only one. Nor have any of the following generations apparently inherited anything auto- immune, although both my sons can get very mild hay fever. Long may it continue.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Being a bit of an amateur geneologist (I can trace both the sword and the distaff side back to 1350, not off my own bat I hasten to add but with the help of Aunts, Uncles, cousins, and ancient information which was long ago put on record, et al) I've formed the opinion that there's not a "pure" gene pool possible :smile:

Just because asthma, eczema, RA, OA appears to be rife in the ancient family photos I've inherited from my late paternal Grandma (born 1887) it doesn't prevent me from being oh so very aware of the breast cancer gene that has followed my late Mother's side since my G.G.Grandmother was born in 1849. I've no worries though, my "parts" are assessed on a very frequent basis :grin:

If we constanly worried about passing on the jolly old screwmatics, asthma and the various screwmatic complaints the planet would be a sorry place.

I'm delighted that I've got three boys and two grandchildren, never thought twice about going down that route. The pleasure they give us far outweighs the remote possibility that they might inherit my screwmatics or Stu's asthma :grin:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have been told my Paternal Grandmother had rheumatics and suffered terribly. She died before I was born. My mum used to shout with pain when walking down the stairs and various joints gave her trouble but she laughed about it and I don't think she was treated for it having so many other issues to deal with; hernias, hysterectomy, nasty boils on her legs, water retention.
    I always kept myself fit hoping that I wouldn't end up like my Mum but it didn't do me any good did it?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Mig

maybe your kids should take some genetic counselling???

I am sure they could try that and gain some advice/reassurance.

Love

Toni xx