Flare Up - Since May

DebraKelly
DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
edited 27. Jun 2011, 10:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I'm still fairly new to the forum, but I'm finding all your advise worth while.

I have been having a really bad flare up since the end of May when I came back from holiday. The swelling in my hand and ankle is particularly bad, although my knee is actually okay.

I visited the doctor on Friday (didn't see my own doctor) and got told to take paracetamol and ibprofuen together, this didn't help! Infact it made me very spaced out. So I just went back to the taking the ibprofen.

I have a visit to the consultant on Tuesday, what do you think he'll recommend? I am dreading steriod injections if that is the answer!

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi DebraKelly

I am sorry to hear that you have been in flare for so long. That is no joke. The consultant may change your meds but if he offers a steroid injection that could really help you. I know that the thought is not great but when you think how many seconds it takes it is worth it especially if it relieves pain and so on. If it does not work at least you know that it is not really worth trying again. I do not relish the thought of having blood tests and steroid injections but I grit my teeth and it is soon over. I never look at what is going on and when I have had steroid injections I always request that they just get on with it, without the running commentary. All have been very understanding and do that for me.

I wish you all the best at your appointment.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Hi Elna,

Thanks for the reply.

How do the steriod injections work? I've heard a lot of people getting it into their bum? :eek: which doesn't sound appealing?

It is as sore as getting your blood taken? If so I can probably handle that!!

I suspect that he will change my meds, as he knows of my fear of needles.
  • keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    Hi Debra.....

Welcome to the flare club! :roll:

I had a steroid injection a week or so ago.....I find them more painful than bloods for sure & they leave me with a sore bum cheek for a couple of days!

I've had four now in total & none of them had any effect on my symptoms but for others they are very beneficial, hopefully you'll be one of them.

All the best,

K.

x
    315yexv.jpg
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi DebraKelly

Me again :smile: Never had the bum jab! I am not really sure how these injections work, I have only been happy when they have! There is no guarantee of course.

I have had injections in my fingers, toes, shoulder. I have also had injections by xray direction in my spine but was not awake for them. My sciatica went instantly and so far so good. I am forever indebted to that Dr. Had them done in December 2009. Most steroid injections I have had worked for a time, sometimes a good few months.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi debra

So glad you will be getting help so soon :smile:

The doc will suggest something far more useful than ibuprofen and paracetamol :roll:

hmmmph!!

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Steroid injections into the joints are not that pleasant (not in my experience anyway, I have had them in both knees preceeded by draining :sad: ) and they did nothing. The depo into the backside never caused me any trouble and did nothing to help either. Everyone is different in how they react to these things, if he offers you a joint steroid then try it, but make sure you rest the joint thoroughly afterwards - my hospital recommends at least 48 hours of inactivity so that the steroid has a chance to 'sink in' to the joint and really get to work. As for the depo it's worth a whirl - and ask about resting after, I am not sure if that is required. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben