Challenging Pain

Options
jean123
jean123 Member Posts: 642
edited 9. Aug 2011, 15:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
ichabod6
Post subject: Challenging Pain
Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 18:18

If you live in north west England (and where else is better)
you could apply to go on an AC Challenging Pain course to
be held in Preston. It is at the Minerva Centre which is part
of the North End football club on Friday 29 July and 5 August,
starting on both days at 1-30pm and ending at 4pm.

Comments

• ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If you want to go on this course you will have to apply
    to the AC northern office. You cannot just turn up on
    the day of the course.
  • girlfriary
    girlfriary Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, Completed this course a few weeks ago down here in the sunny SW ! a small group of just 6 the 1st week and only 4 of us the 2nd week! The format is the same as the Expert patient programme [EPP ] eg a set text which is presented by others who have similar conditions. there is time for discussion, questions and interaction eg group participation. there was a short break for refreshments too. I had already completed the EPP programme many years ago and so for me it was "revision" but it is good to be reminded of the basics of living with chronic conditons /pain etc and positive ways of managing things!
    Take from it what you think will work for you! Not everything is for everyone and there is also the consideration some of us have a lot of other conditons which will mean we need to be selective in what we do or how we react to what we hear.
    Overall a useful few hours- shame some more people in an area this size didnt give it a try!
    Chris
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    anything near nottinghamshire /sheffield??? not sure what area i am in can not find it lol
    val
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    valval wrote:
    anything near nottinghamshire /sheffield??? not sure what area i am in can not find it lol

I have the same question as Val - anything in the East Midlands anytime soon? I'd like to attend one of these

Nxx
  • rachelg
    rachelg Member Posts: 1
    Options
    HI there
    Please do check the in your area on the main website - Sheffield would fall under North England but Nottingham comes under Central England. Unfortunately a course has just run in Barnsley but there are several Challenging Your Condition courses coming up in the West Midlands- Stoke on Trent 12th July, Lichfield 26th July, Coventry 5th Sept and Tamworth 23rd Sept. One Challenging Arthritis in Nottingham on the 9th Sept. Hope this helps?
    Rachel Gondwe
    Training Services Coordinator
    Arthritis Care
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    thanks for this will go look still work so to attend would meen being off work so might have to put it off for a while yet will see what on and when val
    val
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Try the Expert Patients Course....ask your OT. Its almost identical to the Challenging Arthritis Course.....dont get me wrong....I'm a volunteer for Arthritis Care and was training to be a tutor for these courses but had to give up {temporarily} because of health reasons and am back to sorting out hospitals doctors etc with leaftlets and magazines and keeping them stacked.
    The only reason I mention the other is I went on it because my OT rang me and suggested it. It was after that that i did the arthritis ones.......The AC ones are harder to find {because of funding I suppose} I put my name down with AC and they rang me when one became available in my area.

Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Anyone know if there are to be any of these in or near Leeds? Did I see Sheffield mentioned?
    Sorry for not looking through the site myself, not being lazy, I'm using my mobile as it's awkward using the pc at the moment due to the hands hurting..

Cheers

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Fletchar
    Fletchar Member Posts: 5
    edited 5. Aug 2011, 23:58
    Options
    Hi jean123,
    I wish I could join you but I am not in England, I am in New York.
    Are these AC Challenging Pain course available on net? If yes then send me the link or direct me to AC challenging pain course.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    san antonio gym
    Fletchar
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Fletchar wrote:
    Hi jean123,
    I wish I could join you but I am not in England, I am in New York.
    Are these AC Challenging Pain course available on net? If yes then send me the link or direct me to AC challenging pain course.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi Fletchar

The Expert Patients Programme, which is almost identical to the AC course, is available on-line. It's a free course and very good. Here's a link to it

http://www.expertpatients.co.uk/course-participants/courses/expert-patients-programme-online
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    The challenging pain course at Preston was a success.
    It was slightly overbooked; 18 people attended the first
    session and 17 came back for more. One lady with hip
    problems had a fall and couldnt make week 2.