Ankle Fusion.

Options
Cazz
Cazz Member Posts: 40
edited 3. Jul 2011, 06:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya, I am not sure if this is the right forum to post on, new here and still finding my way about.

My question is,
for those that have had an ankle fusion, how bad was your ankle before having it done? to what degree was it altering your life ?

Cazz.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Spot on with the forum, but I cannot help as my ankles are still somewhat bendy/flexible. I hope the fused people spot your post, or you could try doing a search on LWA, that should bring up any threads to do with fused joints. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Cazz

Just a quickie to let you know this IS the right place - l can't help you, but they will hopefully be along soon.

Love

Toni xx
  • Cazz
    Options
    Thank you for your replies!

Is this the general place people post on, for anything arthritis related? There are so many forums it is confusing me! lol

Also, when I joined a few days ago, I was getting e mails whenever anyone replied,now I dont!

Would you know how I can rectify this please?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    This is the forum for any question relating to meds, doctors, side-effects, operations, appointment worries/concerns etc etc etc. The other forum titles are self-explanatory. The helpline forum is staffed by AC folk, who cannot give specific medical advice but are a good resource for information etc. They do not work for the last Friday in every month - well, they do but they are being trained and so don't answer posts on that day!

As for the notification, I think that is something you can alter/adjust if you click on the User Control Panel button (it's up at the top with logout/messages etc). I just come back to the forum and see what's been answered, I opted out of notification an age ago. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Morning cazz

just dropping in to say hello

hope someone comes along soon to answer your question.

take care
    juliepf x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Cazz
    And a very warm welcome to this lovely forum, there have been a couple of people had ankle fusions recently, hopefully they will be along soon.
    I am in the same place with my hip, when on earth do I have it done, I half wish it would just go from under me then the decision would be easier.
    Its not easy unless the pain is excruciating all the time.
    You take care.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Cazz
    Options
    What a lovely warm welcome to this site!!

I did join another one when I first had the ankle arthritis, but it was so slow, took a week for an answer! lol

I do also have arthritis in my fingers and I have degenersation of my sternum, but it is the ankles that are the problem! Weight bearing!!

I have a feeling that my other ankle has it as well now, a few times I have had a pain near the actual bone and it has beem hurting to put weight on it. Think I might get an x ray to see if it it arthritis there!

The one ankle that I know I have it in is more on the top, where the leg meets the foot, when it does .....the only way I can describe it is

it clenches up with a deep pain, then feels like it is going to give way and not support me!

is this familiar?
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi there, and welcome from me. I had a Hip replacement 8weeks ago, and yes I had the same problem before with my hip. It would feel as if it was going to give way. I'm sure there are some people on here who have had an ankle fusion so be patient and they should come along.

You should try the Chit chat section, Cales cafe, where you can have a virtual drink or something to eat and just talk about whatever you want.

Anyway, glad to meet you and I hope to see you around the forum.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • Cazz
    Options
    Thank you Karen, I do enough chit chatting elsewhere, lol I dare not start getting into that on here as well!!

XX

CAZZ
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have PA (psoriatic arthritis) in my sacro-iliac joints, knees, ankles and toes, I found out in April that I also have OA in my knees (I reckon that has come along as a result of the PA damage to those joints, it's where the PA started years ago) but I am now wondering if I also have OA in my ankles: the pain in those has altered and is now matching the pain in the knees. I don't worry about anything giving way as I cannot walk without crutches, so I am always supported but I know exactly what you mean about the weight-bearing etc. It's utterly miserable at times. I believe that a joint fusion can make all the difference to an OA-affected joint, I hope that proves to be the case for you. DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I am waiting for my ankle to get bad enough for the surgeon to give me a triple fusion. When I can no longer bear the pain will be when I go ahead with the op.With 3 young children I am hoping they will be a little bit more independent by time I go ahead,
    I next see the surgeon in July for a 6 monthly examination. It seems to have stabilised over the past 9 months.
    Hope this helps....

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    Hi there,
    I had a triple fusion of my R foot back in October 2010. I was born with bi-lateral talipes and after many surgeries during childhood, was left with extensive arthritis in both feet. My right is worse than my left. It's hard for me to say how painful it had got because I've always lived with painful feet/ankles. What I would say is that the arthritis pain has completely gone. If it wasn't for my left foot now becoming worse because it's bearing most of my weight now, I would say I've forgotten what the pain was like!! It is a big decision to have it done. It's a life changing op. You'll lose most of the movement in your ankle. It's a very long recovery period even without the many complications that I've had. I still have to have my L foot done. This will just be a subtalar fusion using a bone graft. If you have any more specific questions, I'll gladly do all I can to help. Good luck
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Hi Cazz,

I had an ankle fusion on my right foot on the 14 feb this year. Before the fusion I was getting a lot of pain ank couldn't walk much more than 10 minutes before having to stop. uneven ground and up hills was the worst.

My fusion was done arthroscopicly and I was out the next day. Back slab cast for the first 2 weeks until the stitches were removed then it was a full cast for the next 10 weeks. I was then given an aircast boot to wear for 6 weeks gradually weaning myself out of it around the house. I got rid of the boot on tuesday and am now skooting around and driving without any major issues, a little niggle now an then but even they are getting few and far between and trying to adjust to walking without any up and down movement in my ankle.

I still have plenty of side to side movement and even this early on I am starting to feel the benefits of the operation.

If you want any more info, please feel free to PM me.

Rob
  • Cazz
    Options
    Thank you very much Rob!

I dont think I am anywhere near the stage where i have to hvae my ankle (s) fused yet, I can, if careful go for long periods of time when I dont feel any pain, and I always take Solphodol as a preventive!

I do find inclines and declines, pebbles, grass and anything uneven a slow process to walk on, but aslong as I remember not to try and walk quickly, I can get away with it.

I am so pleased the op seems to be working for you! :smile:

Cazz.
  • Cazz
    Options
    Sue, it seems you are getting on very well too! Once again, I am really pleased to hear this, I love sucess stories xx

Cazz.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have just remembered that when you post an options list appears - if you click on the box that says notify me of any replies then you should be notified. Sorry for not remembering sooner, I am dull-brained today. :oops:
  • Cazz
    Options
    Thank you, i will put it to the test! :smile:

Cazz
  • Cazz
    Options
    Nope, can't see it!! :sad:
  • Cazz
    Options
    Seen it nowww! :grin:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Cazz,

Welcome fro me as well.

I get agro from my ankles sometimes and sometimes they are okish... mind they do give out if I push them too much and are happier in frankie's boots than shoes, they come up over the ankle and kinda help hold them there.

I assume (as does my rumo) they have arthritis and thats as far as it goes.

Its always worth mentioning to your rumo/ortho/gp and maybe they could help you a little more than they are now? Go slow is about right as well :lol: I think now a days much slower and I would be going backwards :lol:

nice to meet you and the how bad thing... I think it just depends on what they can do and how quick they think it should be done really. If its impacting on your quality of life then its worth trying to get something done. Cris x
  • Cazz
    Options
    Hiya Chris!

I have changed the type of shoe I wear, I always buy more expensive ones and have a range of styles that all hold my foot rather than the mule type!

My problem is, my right ankle prefers a small thick, wedge heel and my left ankle prefers flat!

So , if ever you see a blonde woman walking with a hobble die toone heel and one flat shoe, you'll know its me! :lol:

Cazz.