Ron's got a new ankle - part 3!!

Options
prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 15. Jul 2011, 07:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Back from seeing the surgeon and have had the cast removed!Feel most odd now without it,it's come everywhere with me for the last 4 weeks.

Having it removed was a strange experience,the saw created such vibration had to hold my leg down to stop it jumping,and when got off the couch my leg felt as if it was floating because the weight of the cast had gone.

Now fitted with a brace (like shin pads either side of the leg and 'hinged' together under the instep,the whole thing is adjusted and fastened with velcro straps).Have to wear for the next 4 weeks gradually increasing weight bearing,then back to see the surgeon.

Now feels strange since the ankle has been rigid and supported for so long,but will have to get used to it.
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Morning ron

how are you today? still feels a little strange without the cast I imagine.
    Wishing you luck over the next 4 weeks with the leg brace and trying to weight bear gradually.
    Just take care and dont overdo things.

juliepf x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Good news, Ron. I can well imagine it'll feel odd without all the extra weight but pretty good too, I imagine.

Your ankle will take time to get used to doing more but it'll come.

I'm so pleased it went well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Glad all's going to plan , Ron , must be good to be free of the itchy cast . Jillyb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Oooo Ron

does it feel weak?? I am thinking it might..... :???:

well done anyway...glad all is going according to plan.

Love

Toni xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,938
    Options
    Hi Ron.
    how are you feeling now i bet your leg feels light.and you dont need to hop anymore.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Thanks all for your messages...................... :smile:
    Wednesday wasn't a great day,felt had taken 1 step forward and 2 steps back.Ankle swollen,painful and found difficulty in walking and maintaining balance,even using crutches (maybe partly due to losing security of cast!).
    Yesterday took a few steps without crutches,shouldn't really bit early but supposed wanted to build the confidence (OH was pleased but said I walked like a robot).................. :grin:
    Must build on this before I see the surgeon in 4 weeks time.
    Thanks again all for support over the last few weeks.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Morning Ron. I've not read back as I'm using the mobile n it's a bit awkward, but I hope that you are doing ok.. Take it steady with the exercises etc, don't push too much, you'll put yourself back. There'sa fine line that you must find...

Good luck matey :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Build up strength slowly, Ron. Don't expect too much too soon from that ankle. It's had a lot of violence done to it.

Little and often is the best way with the exercises at first - and that includes walking. You'll get there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,938
    Options
    Hi Ron.
    you are doing good it all takes time have you thought of going to the hydrotherapy pool the waters nice and warm.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx