Pet Cremation

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 14. Apr 2012, 08:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all , just a thought for anybody in the future that loses a beloved pet ,pet cremations are very good the one we have used over the last few days have been brilliant to us after the loss of our old boy Wally JackRussell age 17 who died peacefully in his sleep on sunday night , not expected really as he wasent ill just old , but the people that we have let deal with him have been very respectfull and caring , yes we could have buried him in the garden i suppose but as our house is up for sale it didnt seem right to do so would hate the thought of somebody digging and finding his bones , its been a tough few days but his memory is with us x
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry to hear this sad news but it's good that you can assure yourselves that he had such a happy life with you . I would be lost without our Betsy dog ; one should enjoy every moment with such a loyal pet . Jillyb
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    so sorry to hear about your loss, that said 17 is a good age for a dog, typical terrier built like a brick out house!, we have two dogs both terriers, Ozzy is a BIG Parsons Russell he's 2 and a half years Murphy is 9, he and Murphy will both go on to ripe old ages but that said I have been thinking recently when the day comes what will I do?, I think cremation is probably the best way as I want their ashes spread around the barn they love to go rat hunting each winter, do they let you have the animals ashes and do they guranty it's really them your getting back??.
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I would like to say sorry for your loss. I know it is very hard as they are part of the family, but I agree with mellman, 17 years is a very good age. He was loved and had a fantastic life with you.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    so sorry to hear about your loss, that said 17 is a good age for a dog, typical terrier built like a brick out house!, we have two dogs both terriers, Ozzy is a BIG Parsons Russell he's 2 and a half years Murphy is 9, he and Murphy will both go on to ripe old ages but that said I have been thinking recently when the day comes what will I do?, I think cremation is probably the best way as I want their ashes spread around the barn they love to go rat hunting each winter, do they let you have the animals ashes and do they guranty it's really them your getting back??.

Hi Mellman thank you for your words , we got our ashes back and a certificate guareentee they were ours , plus a lovely hand written card ,we fount the details of the one we used on the internet , so when your time comes the info is out there ,also your vet should have addresses at least i would hope they have , i hope it not for along time yet enjoy your boys ,x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Options
    :sad: So sorry to hear of your loss,but I am so pleased that you had him cremated.Every dog or cat that I have had,have all been cremated and I have them with me in their little boxes,beautifully carved out with their names on,I will give my instruction when I go to the garden in the sky that they will come with me.My family are as yet unaware of this request.We never have our dear pets long enough,but memories stay forever.Mirabella
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,953
    Options
    Hi Bertyboy.
    we are so sorry you lossed your dog they are a member of the family only a animal lover thinks like that.
    we agree cremation was right as we live in a housing **** bunglow.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Berty
    Im so sorry for your loss of your beloved dog, our Susie was a jack russell and we had her till she was 15...and I thought that was old.
    I really do feel for you, and how nice that he has been treated with the respect he deserved.
    You take care....I have picture everywhere of ours, such good memories.
    Love
    Barbara
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    so sorry to hear of your loss xx

my last dog Arnie went downhill in an hour! he was 14 years old and almost blind and extremely deaf, he woke one afternoon august 14th 2007 and stumbled down the kitchen falling onto his side, looking like he had a stroke, i was on crutches having had my knee replaced just 2 months before, we managed to take him to the loo in the front garden as he couldnt manage the steps out the back.. he was up then down... my daughter had to deal with him.. she was only 11, eventually my son came in and took me and arnie to the vets, by the time we got there he walked into the surgery then ended up completely splayed out on the floor with his eyes flicking back and forth fast... arnie had never had a days illness in his life, the vet wasnt sure he could do anything so i asked if it was kinder to put him to sleep... he did... the shock was so great we held arnie for a while then left him there... i asked the vet about private cremation he said its really expensive, so i left him, my mind was so messed up.... after the shock had subsided i looked pet cremation up online...wouldve cost me £86 at a animal sanctury less then 15 miles from my home, that made me feel even worse... so now as we have 2 great danes we will take both when the time comes to Raystede and pay the price and keep or dogs with us always maci is just 1 year old and diesel is just 4 this week so hopefully wnt have to think about that for now... but at least when the time comes we will know what we shall do after.... :sad:
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    hi Berty. Sorry for your loss hun.
    Good age though eh? It's a yr next month since we lost our lovely cat Cleo, she was fifteen and a huge part of our lives. We buried her in our back garden..
    We still have our beloved Ra but he's the same age and I know he won't be around forever.. He's a grumpy old man now just like me, lol..
    I know that he'll be buried near to Cleo when the time comes.

X
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Berty, I'm so sorry for your loss, I don't care what people say but Pets are part of the family and when they pass it's like lossing a family member.
    We have used Pet cremation for 2 of our cats when I was younger. And they where lovely and delivered the ashes in a urn. So I expect when Bubba passes we will do the same thing. Though I don't like to think of that yet.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hello Bert, so sorry for you loss our sally died last christmas she was 20 years old and one of the oldest dogs in England. i know how hard it can be we still think about her all the time.
    All the best
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Hi May

l am so sorry about you loosing your lovely dog :sad:

l have my animals cremated myself because l too will not be living here forever. I have always had great service (some might say for £120 that's only right), they have even done the kids' two rabbits.

Such sad stories on this thread, but heartening for us all to be thinking of our past pets and the ones still here like Mell's dogs and I still have Daisycat :grin:

Love

Toni xx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I've many lovely memories of Cleo and will never forget her. She was a real Daddy's girl and we were very close.. I still miss her loads but it is easier to think back now than it was..
    http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd427/TJT6768/Cleo-1.jpg
    Cleo, my baby girl...
    Bloody ell I'm a soft bugger in mi old age, lol.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    Options
    ahh as we are animal lovers i could not help but read all these postings..

always sad to lose a pet as you say they are part of the family..

we have buried two cats and a dog in our back garden over the years all lived to a good old age..and all had the dreaded arthritic with old age..

have a dog now who is 6yrs old and a real sweetheart..

as i agree with you all it is heartbreaking to lose one of our pets..

lv to all georgie x
  • tjt6768
    Options
    It was one year ago last friday that Cleo went. I bought a lovely rose bush last week and my neighbour helped me pot it up and I placed it where she is..
    I know that at some point Ra will go, he's knocking on now and has a leaky heart valve but so far is good and rather content.. Spoilt rotten.. In fact, right now he's laid at the top of the bed where my pillow should be, that's his spot. I'm relegated to lower down the bed so he fits, lol. I don't mind.. He's mi furry purry pillow (obviously said with a proper Yorkshire accent for my dear pal, lol)
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I still miss my dogs. The first one was when I was 10. The boy next door was always tormenting him and, in the end, my dog bit him so dad took him away. He told me the dog had gone to live on a farm. Although I believed him back then, I know now that might not have been true. That day, dad brought home another dog (the one he 'swapped' at the farm). She was my best friend for 12 years. I buried her at the foot of a tree in the garden. It broke my heart when we had to move and leave her there. A few years later, I bought a Pyrenean mountain dog puppy. She became my next best friend when she grew up. 10 years later, her legs and her lungs collapsed so I had to take that dreaded journey to the vet. Unfortunately, being so big, I had to leave her there. I haven't had the time to look after a dog this last 10 years and still miss all 3 of them.

I hope you have many happy memories of Cleo and are still making them with Ra. It's wonderful having such a good relationship with our pets.
    Christine
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    So sorry, it is hard to lose your best friend they become a part of your family .

I have lost a my pets over the years . I have 2 jack russells one 10 and the other 9 . I hope i have many years with them yet . Jack Russell are great little dogs and very loving. .......jillyx
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I used the same company for my beloved cat who passed away two years ago... I was so distraught... and they handled everything so wonderfully and with such compassion...
    My little babies ashes are on the sideboard in a pretty wooden sleeping cat casket.... she was cremated on her own and they provided a certificate/card which I can keep with a photo.. little touches which meant to much...

So really I still have her with me ... xx

Sorry for your loss - BIG HUGS xx
    hugs freesia xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Dear Berty, I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how emotionally attached People get to their pets. As Mr White & myself are to our special bubba. I know of pet crematoriums as We lost our family cat Kitty 15yrs ago and my mom got her cremated at a pet crem and they even delivered her ashes back to us in a lovely urn. I know it's something I will seriously consider when the time comes to use them again. Again I want to offer my condolances to you berty at this sad time.
    bertyboy wrote:
    Hi all , just a thought for anybody in the future that loses a beloved pet ,pet cremations are very good the one we have used over the last few days have been brilliant to us after the loss of our old boy Wally JackRussell age 17 who died peacefully in his sleep on sunday night , not expected really as he wasent ill just old , but the people that we have let deal with him have been very respectfull and caring , yes we could have buried him in the garden i suppose but as our house is up for sale it didnt seem right to do so would hate the thought of somebody digging and finding his bones , its been a tough few days but his memory is with us x