mulifuel or parkray with back boiler???

Options
mirabella
mirabella Member Posts: 272
edited 14. Jul 2011, 05:10 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi there all you lovely people,I need some advice especially from those of you who live in the highlands,or the more isolated areas of our country,and I know there is a few of you that do.I need to update this awfull prehistoric fire place that I have in my new home,well it's not new as such as a brand new build,but new to me as I have only been here since end of May.It's only tiny,but out in the country,and I would like to take out old fire place and have a multifuel burner put in withe a back boiler to heat the water,or a parkray which I had before in my old cottage.They both seem to be very expensive to buy new,but was just wondering if any of guys out there had a similar heating solution,or could give me some advice on this. :smile: Mirabella

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    bloke from our place had multi fuel one put in last year said it was great had to leave room doors open so warm. he got it off internet i think not sure about back burner val
    val
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Get a good quality stove for starters not a cheapo one from the local B & Q, not sure about back boiler I would imagine that's going to cost due to man hours, also I have a wood burner with a back boiler that runs one rad and does the hot water, it can rum more rads but the gas borad chap said putting more rads on will mean you'll have to have a pump put in so I didn't bother.
    Also I'm not so sure you need your stack/chimney lined now I can remeber someone telling me this Google it as it might be differnet rules where you are. Thing is if you did get it lined the best option is to have it done with pumice grout as stainless will corrode with time, the acid in the wood tanin will eat the impurities in the stainless and once a hole appears wood resin can leak into it and in time enough can collect and if it catches fire you have a fire on the inside of the liner.
    A guy I know had a stainless liner and this happened to him only the resin ran all the way down to the top of the stove vent and caught fire there, he had to get the fire brigade out, he had the old liner taken out and a pumice grout one put in.
    The old liner was around 12 years old and yep acid had made holes in it at a dew point zone.
    Mind you grout aint cheap I think it cost him around £1500!.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    If you are renting the property won't you have to ask permission from the landlord? would it be the only source of heating in the house?

I had a coal-fired parkray boiler back in the 80's in a new build, and I hated it. It would heat up the house nicely then boil us so we had to have all the windows open and the boiler rumbled like mad. There was no control, no nice background temperature. And of course we had all that coal shovelling to do. It was either cold, with a wait for it to warm up or boiling hot! It was the main source of heat in our house and I would never recommend it personally.It heated up the rads until dangerously hot and once my daughter badly scolded her arm on the toilet rad when she sleepily touched it at night.Another daughter got locked in the loo and frazzled while the police broke down the door to rescue her.She was a nasty shade of red by time they realeased her.

Just my experience Mirabella. Never again for me!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein